Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Explanation please for this forum

JohnStodden
Great Britain

Explanation please for this forum

Post by JohnStodden »

I am new to this site. I have been using Duolingo for several years, principally for Czech. I have not seen anywhere a discussion of WHY Duolingo have closed all the discussions. Was it costing too much to employ moderators? Have they shot themselves in the foot? It seems to me much of the value of Duolingo was in the discussions. I am a Plus user, but very unlikely to renew next time round. Shame! Obviously Duolingo are not going to encourage a discussion on why this decision was made, but there must be a discussion somewhere? Where? Thank you.

Explorer
Portugal

Re: Explanation please for this forum

Post by Explorer »

First of all, welcome to the new forum [mention]JohnStodden[/mention] 🙂

Was it costing too much to employ moderators?

Moderators were not employees. They were volunteers who did not earn any money for their job. All they said was that the closure of the forum was due to cost-benefit reasons. No further details were given to us, so I'm afraid we'll never know what really happened.

The truth is that the old forum was a very useful tool for a lot of people. Unfortunately they didn't promote it enough and in its last days of life there were some security issues and too much spam. The good news is that we have Duome now, a much better, modern and safer place where you can find language learners from all over the world.

JohnStodden wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:34 pm

Obviously Duolingo are not going to encourage a discussion on why this decision was made, but there must be a discussion somewhere? Where? Thank you.

We discussed Duo's decision here.

Have a nice day an enjoy the forum!

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]JohnStodden[/mention] Welcome to Duome! :)

There is a Czech forum here. It's small but it may grow with people like you around. How much Czech do you know?

You can use the sentence discussion extension and post your questions about sentences on Duome.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

probably because people were complaining too much about the cartoons and health :lol:

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

JohnStodden wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:34 pm

I am new to this site. I have been using Duolingo for several years, principally for Czech. I have not seen anywhere a discussion of WHY Duolingo have closed all the discussions. Was it costing too much to employ moderators? Have they shot themselves in the foot? It seems to me much of the value of Duolingo was in the discussions. I am a Plus user, but very unlikely to renew next time round. Shame! Obviously Duolingo are not going to encourage a discussion on why this decision was made, but there must be a discussion somewhere? Where? Thank you.

Actually, there was endless discussion between the time the announcement was made that the forums would close and the actual closure. I remember, at the time, one forum user trying to redirect us, on the grounds that we ought to enjoy the time we had left. (They were not successful.)

Return to “Discussions”