Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Tips to fast track new path?

Tips and tricks ...

luciennet
France

Tips to fast track new path?

Post by luciennet »

Just wondering if anyone has tips for fast tracking learning on the new path.

In the old tree with crown levels, first level of a skill introduced new vocabulary and concepts, then further levels involved practicing through reading, listening, writing, speaking. If someone was finding it too easy and wanted to progress at a faster pace, might do the first level or so to get the new words, then test out of the skill.

On the new path, at which point in a unit have we learned all the new concepts to make it safe to “jump to” the next unit if things seem a bit too easy?

What I’ve found is that the new path, with extra practice added in, goes at a slower pace of learning than before. For those who don’t like being challenged and want to be very comfortable it’s great, however I prefer to be challenged a bit more. When I am almost always getting 95-100% of a lesson correct, that tells me it’s set to be too easy. Probably learn better if it’s challenging enough to be only getting 80% right (it serves up mistakes again until you get it right, so you learn by the end even if made mistakes along the way).

water_color

Re: Tips to fast track new path?

Post by water_color »

You can still use the old tree on api.duolingo.com.

Talking about the new path, I think it would be hard to define a point at which you've learned everything new and can test out the rest, because in each section it mixes new skills with the older ones. But generally, each section of the path contains 2 new skills and 5-6 older ones, and the first of the 2 new ones is placed at the start of the section, and the second one takes the 4th or the 5th places. So if you've done 5 skills in one section, you don't have to learn 2-3 other ones and can test out the section to move to the next one. Though it doesn't make that much sense, imo.

Last edited by water_color on Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Well if you know some of the work already, than what do you do?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

luciennet
France

Post by luciennet »

One thing I have started trying is skipping the last few circles of a unit.

Complete the last actual "lesson", but skip the practice, story, and end of unit checkpoint by testing out.

To test out you have to show you know the knowledge well enough to do so, and there is still another personalised practice session in the first half of each unit that reviews content across units - so I don't think this risks missing much.

This shortens a unit by 1 round of personalised practice, 1 end of unit checkpoint, and sometimes 1 story

Return to “How to ...”