Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

I hate Smart Tips

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Saperlipopette!

I hate Smart Tips

Post by Saperlipopette! »

I hate these. I get them wrong on purpose. I don't think I've answered one correctly in two years. I've written bug reports saying you should have the option to skip them. Most of the time, they don't tell you anything you wouldn't have gotten from reading the correct answer. Duo thinks they're the cat's meow: Blog.

If you miss them, they don't affect your score on the lesson complete screen.

I get them on the app, not on the web. Really, I wish I'd never get another one.

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1400

Re: I hate Smart Tips

Post by Deleted User 1400 »

Probably the most useless feature ever 😬

Darvince

Post by Darvince »

I had these on the web version. Once I realized that they do not affect your score, I always started answering the first option. For me, they often even think I made a mistake different from the one I actually made, making them even more useless.

EN Native | ES Intermediate | RU Less than A1 :lol:

Saperlipopette!

I noticed my settings now give me an option to turn off haptic feedback. Wonderful. I looked it up & I still don't know what it means for Duolingo. Does this mean I can turn off this p.o.s. grammar nonsense ?

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

you mean you hate the fact that there's a tip or the whole multiple choice exercise? because for me the less there is typing the better :lol:

Saperlipopette!

Duolingo Grammar tips, c'est la poudre de perlimpinpin.

I still hate these. So I wrote a bug report claiming lack of personalization of lessons. Here is the text:

When I did a practice lesson for the 36-6 on the snake in the English--French tree, a pop up screen came up. "It's time to do a grammar lesson, but first read a few tips." And then you have a button that allows me to skip the tips and go to the next challenge.

Why not do the same thing for those useless grammar tips. They don't tell you anything you can't figure out by reading the red box.

They don't address the reason why I got the question wrong. Usually it's because I'm trying to do questions too fast, or I'm doing lessons when I'm tired or otherwise not in the proper mindset to do lessons, or my styluses need to be replaced & I'm spending my time checking & fixing typos instead of checking & fixing the content. It's these practical issues that cause mistakes, not the fact that we don't know the fucking grammar.

I'm sure your counter argument is that your metrics don't show it. Well, you've rigged the ballots. I have no down votes because I get the grammar question wrong on purpose. What you need to do is give people the choice to read the tip or not like you do in most other places in your course. Then run your metrics from that. Your upvotes are the people who chose to engage with the tip. The downvotes chose skip tip. I'll bet your metrics would tell you something different than what they're in telling you now.

It's your course so you'll do what you want.
Your blog says personalization of lessons but your not doing it for me.
https://blog.duolingo.com/how-duolingo- ... k-with-ai/

You can keep shoving these piece of shit grammar tips down by throat & I'll keep fighting back or you can put in the personalization that you promise.

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

I dislike the smart tips also. They don't tell me anything I don't already know, they're just an unnecessary screen to click through.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]Saperlipopette![/mention]

You are on mobile, right?

Haptic feedback might be vibration of touchscreen or keyboard input turned off.

Don't have that option on Android app V5.52.5 (old tree).

Haptic is not related to smart tips.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Deleted User 5745

Post by Deleted User 5745 »

[mention]Saperlipopette![/mention] Remember, a lot of people learning for the first time will need these "smart tips" - and even then will still get it wrong!

Annoying if you make a typo and it helpfully gives you the run down on some aspect of grammar, I know.

Personally I demand an app that knows what we're thinking at all times and knows when we know what it assumes we don't know! 😜

Saperlipopette!

I've never met anyone who admitted to getting any sort of value over these remedial tips, so you'd be a good person to ask about this. Why can't there be a 'skip button' next to 'go to tip' to give people the option to view the tip? You know, like there is everywhere else in the course.

These tips aren't helpful to me, they're breaking balls. They're another version of the Cart Narcs.

Deleted User 4833

Saperlipopette! wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:08 am

I've never met anyone who admitted to getting any sort of value over these remedial tips, so you'd be a good person to ask about this. Why can't there be a 'skip button' next to 'go to tip' to give people the option to view the tip? You know, like there is everywhere else in the course.

These tips aren't helpful to me, they're breaking balls. They're another version of the Cart Narcs.

Except for the new video treasure chests, which I see no way to skip. Probably you can skip them if you don't want the gems, haven't actually tested it cause I always want the gems.

Saperlipopette!

I have one idea but I don't think it will work for you. I open treasure chests on the web-- but that gives you lingots, which you can't convert to gems.

I haven't seen that video yet. It could be because I have a schools acct.

Deleted User 4833

Saperlipopette! wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:34 am

I have one idea but I don't think it will work for you. I open treasure chests on the web-- but that gives you lingots, which you can't convert to gems.

I haven't seen that video yet. It could be because I have a schools acct.

Well, yeah, if I wanted lingots, I could open it on the web and skip the video.
And I have no idea if having a school account makes a difference, the video treasure chest literally showed up for me only a couple of days ago.

Zildabeast
United States of America

Post by Zildabeast »

Same. They don't really help at all; they're just wastes of time when I could continue the lesson and figure it out without it being directly handed to me. I usually know it anyway, just messed up, so that's quite annoying.

Saperlipopette!

I would really like to meet the person who can't figure out what they did wrong after reading the answer in the red box.

Duolingo Grammar Tips, c'est la poudre de Perlimpinpin

If they added a Skip Tip button & ran metrics on that, Duolingo would see hardly anyone reading their drivel. I think these tips are to make them feel better because people complained that they don't teach grammar. I send them a bug report every time I get one. Where's my personalization of lessons?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:22 am

Where's my personalization of lessons?

Well, some users (Spanish and French learners, A/B testing on the iOS app first) will soon get new AI explanations from ChatGpt/Gpt-4 with a costly "Duolingo Max" subscription:
https://blog.duolingo.com/duolingo-max/

On a screenshot (Reddit or blog) I saw a dedicated button for that.

Besides this above "Show tip" or newer "Explain my answer" (or how it was called) button a green Continue or Ignore tip button would be very useful, to be able to SKIP over, like you requested it.

In the other thread cartoon video viewtopic.php?t=10252-watch-video-to-op ... sure-chest basic grammar explanations (hidden behind a treasure chest) are mentioned.
Wow, this is even more annoying having to listen to cartoons to explain some basic stuff and how they talk.
I barely can tolerate some of these very annoying (2+) cartoon voice actors in the Portuguese stories; feel like I want to slam my head against the stone wall.

For Portuguese (old tree) and working through the Pretérito mais-que-perfeito (Pluperfect) skill on the old Android app on L3 crown level those Duolingo cartoon videos, smart tips wouldn't really help me and the OpenAI explanations might still be way too generic.

• Placement of direct (o, a, os, as) vs indirect (lhe) object pronouns without or with prepositions
  • where to put "me/te/se/nos" in a compound tense (in between tinha=had as auxiliary and the participle)
  • where to exactly place the pronouns with nunca (never), não (not) in a negative sentence or with já (already), ainda (still)
  • having to place o/a/os/as (direct object pronouns) before nunca and NOT after tinha
  • where to place some English adverbs like already/yet/still or helper words (before or after had, at the end of a sentence) and how to correctly translate or construct a PT sentence with these

Honestly, it takes me some time to review detailed PT Web Tips&Notes in multiple verb tense skills, reading old sentence discussions from 2-4 sentences with similar complex issues, wading through former volunteer PT course moderator explanations, checking questions from other PT learners, Googling advanced English stuff about all alternative placement options when I got marked wrong,...

I doubt OpenAI Gpt-4 will be the final solution, not when we have to pay extra per month.

Instead Duolingo should offer native speaker and tutor help from real persons for marked very complex sentences and scenarios.
And to be able to review some of them in a group within an assigned tutor session.
Trained teachers with didactical skills can more easily break down complicated things and review 3-4 complex subjects together and where the very fine differences are.
Or if Duolingo marked me wrong, when an alternative was missing in the DB, how to express some things more naturally in English (for us as second language learners),...

Sorry, can't remember right now what exact English word I had stumbled across (I think it may have been "already") where tricky placement questions popped up and where given Portuguese sentences were not consistently handling accepted answers.

I wonder how Gpt-4 will know what exactly it shall search for and to highlight those very complex things for different scenarios and multiple skills.

How would it even know that there are fine differences between negative sentences, direct vs indirect object pronouns, and what it shall explain to me in summary for such a compound verb tense and to compare to other advanced tenses??

Same issue with Subjunctive forms, complex nested sentences.

Sometimes I wish I could practice very long and difficult example sentences from the Web Tips&Notes like I can do with Busuu or Kwiziq grammar quizzes but these demonstrated sentences often don't directly exist in the selected PT skill and database so a lesson or practice gives me quite some different material.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Return to “Duolingo”