Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Update - variants not accepted?

Bread&Rosie

Update - variants not accepted?

Post by Bread&Rosie »

Hi all!

Is anyone else having trouble with variants not being accepted for the last few days?

For example, it will not accept "perché sei così stanco?" as a translation of "why are you so tired?", only "perché sei così stanca?" but there is nothing to indicate that the tired person is female.

For "la struttura" it will only accept "the framework, the structure" but not "the framework" or "the structure."

It's like using a pretty basic flashcard app. I've been using Duo for a year - does this usually happen when they update and is it likely to get fixed soon or is this just how it's going to be now? It's frustrating losing hearts because I can't guess/remember what specific answer it wants.

IceVajal
Germany

Re: Update - variants not accepted?

Post by IceVajal »

If you use the website, even on your mobile, there are no hearts. 😉

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Bread&Rosie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:20 pm

Hi all!

Is anyone else having trouble with variants not being accepted for the last few days?

For example, it will not accept "perché sei così stanco?" as a translation of "why are you so tired?", only "perché sei così stanca?" but there is nothing to indicate that the tired person is female.

For "la struttura" it will only accept "the framework, the structure" but not "the framework" or "the structure."

It's like using a pretty basic flashcard app. I've been using Duo for a year - does this usually happen when they update and is it likely to get fixed soon or is this just how it's going to be now? It's frustrating losing hearts because I can't guess/remember what specific answer it wants.

In general terms it has always been like that, it is basically a guessing game. Some sentences accept both genders others do not. The same issue happens in the spa-ita course, but with the conjugations: one has to guess the person duo is expecting, for example, "comía mucha carne." Who? "Io mangiavo" or "lui mangiava?"

This is not random: duo wants everyone to keep losing hearts.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

gmads wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:15 pm

Each alternative translation is added in the database by people, who happen to forget to add every possible one. Sometimes, even basic translations are missing. It's not intentional, though. That's why the report button exists. We report the missing AT and when they see the reports, they'll add them. In some courses, that might be soon - in others, it'll take more time. Last month, I received more than 10 e-mails from the Turkish course that my suggestions have been accepted. For the IT<DE course, I would get an e-mail within 1-2 days after reporting an AT (obviously, because it was brand new and they didn't have many reports to sort through). I also get batches of e-mails from the Greek team every now and then. Just because some random ex-volunteer/contributor didn't include all the possible translations doesn't mean that it's a deliberate decision from Duolingo. Just keep reporting to help make the course better for fellow learners! ;)

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

O.Zoe wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:48 pm
gmads wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:15 pm

Each alternative translation is added in the database by people, who happen to forget to add every possible one. Sometimes, even basic translations are missing. It's not intentional, though. That's why the report button exists. We report the missing AT and when they see the reports, they'll add them. In some courses, that might be soon - in others, it'll take more time. Last month, I received more than 10 e-mails from the Turkish course that my suggestions have been accepted. For the IT<DE course, I would get an e-mail within 1-2 days after reporting an AT (obviously, because it was brand new and they didn't have many reports to sort through). I also get batches of e-mails from the Greek team every now and then. Just because some random ex-volunteer/contributor didn't include all the possible translations doesn't mean that it's a deliberate decision from Duolingo. Just keep reporting to help make the course better for fellow learners! ;)

Regarding variations, yes, that may have been so in the past, but since this "volunteer effort" ceased to be since a year ago... I would not be so sure about that being the case nowadays. Anyway, when doing a new skill I've noticed there is a pattern where almost at the very end of the lesson they throw in a sentence with a structure that will almost certainly make the person fail.

It is a fact that Duo has been deteriorating with each passing year —this has been more than mentioned and talked about. Maybe this removal of resources has happened because they are not able to survive only with premium users, thus, force users to watch ads.

By the way, in some courses that "when" means "almost never" or something similar like "wait for unending years to come."

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍgeneral ㆍdebate ㆍduolingo

Last edited by gmads on Wed May 10, 2023 4:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Antinomy - Imagination

Seiryuu
Canada

Post by Seiryuu »

I receive emails when my suggestion has been accepted as a suitable answer. It depends on when the staff get to it.

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Seiryuu wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:15 pm

I receive emails when my suggestion has been accepted as a suitable answer. It depends on when the staff get to it.

... and on the course being talked about...

Antinomy - Imagination

Sabine
Austria

Post by Sabine »

Bread&Rosie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:20 pm

Hi all!

What seems rather new to me is a problem with apparently optional personal pronouns:
In one sentence it is wrong to omit such a pronoun, in the next almost identical sentence it is wrong not to omit it.
For example: Noi compriamo ... / Compriamo ...

I now have the 'new' Duolingo Interface and they transformed everything I had started a long time ago from level 1 to completed without possibility to practice anything except the Legentary Level without any hints. As also English is not my native language and the increase in difficulty after Unit 2 was much too fast for me from the beginning, I am completely lost now and think about quitting. I do not want to reset the whole course just to get the possibility to learn the second half of it.

Return to “Italian”