Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Im Anhang ist kein Lebenslauf, sondern ein Rezept. (en → de)

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

sentence bot 🤖

Im Anhang ist kein Lebenslauf, sondern ein Rezept. (en → de)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

Im Anhang ist kein Lebenslauf, sondern ein Rezept.

en: In the attachment there isn't a resume, but rather a recipe.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/56948127

Seiryuu
Canada

Re: Im Anhang ist kein Lebenslauf, sondern ein Rezept. (en → de)

Post by Seiryuu »

I reported this sentence on 28 August 2022 because it didn't recognise gibt es keinen Lebenslauf.

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

I wouldn't say "gibt es" in this context. "Es gibt" is used rather to state the fact that something exists. In contexts like this, a better translation is "befindet sich". I would translate this sentence like that: In der Anlage finden Sie / findest du keinen Lebenslauf, sondern ein Rezept.

Seiryuu
Canada

Post by Seiryuu »

Chrisinom wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:18 pm

I wouldn't say "gibt es" in this context. "Es gibt" is used rather to state the fact that something exists. In contexts like this, a better translation is "befindet sich". I would translate this sentence like that: In der Anlage finden Sie / findest du keinen Lebenslauf, sondern ein Rezept.

But wouldn't remarking on the lack of existence of an object warrant es gibt, or would it be more appropriate if the dependent clause wasn't there?

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

[/quote]But wouldn't remarking on the lack of existence of an object warrant es gibt, or would it be more appropriate if the dependent clause wasn't there?
[/quote]
I intended to say existence or non-existence,that's the same thing. The following sentence with "sondern" is not the problem. Generally speaking, we use "es gibt (nicht/kein)" less frequently than English speakers do (or Spanish speakers with "Hay" or Italian speakers with "C'é"). I've been thinking about that for a while and I think the reason has to do with the differences between English and German. English is an analytical language, the position of a word in the sentence determines its syntactical function. The sentence begins with the noun, then follows the verb and the objects, at the end there are the adverbial phrases of manner (how), of place (where), of time (when) etc. You can also put a time adverb at the beginning, but that's it. Now, in the phrase "there is" "there" functions as a sort of subject substitute. German is basically a synthetical language, the syntactical function of a word is expressed in its endings. So you can put every part of the sentence (I'm simplifying here, its a bit more complex) at the beginning of the sentence. Now if you put the place adverbial at the beginning of the sentence, you don't say "es gibt" for "there is", but just "ist / sind" in spoken language or "befindet sich / befinden sich" in written language. "There's butter in the fridge and and bread in the breadbox", but "Butter ist im Kühlschrank und Brot ist im Brotkasten". In these cases, you only use "es gibt" if you're talking about the (non-)existence of something: "In Süddeutschland gibt es viele hohe Berge, in Norddeutschland gibt es keine."

Return to “Sentence discussions”