Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

C'est pas grave

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Jim606185
Australia

C'est pas grave

Post by Jim606185 »

Every time I've heard a native speaker say this, he or she says "c'est pas grave" instead of ce n'est pas grave. I used c'est pas grave in a Duolingo exercise and was marked wrong.

Is this considered grammatically correct or is it just a colloquial thing that a lot of people say, like ouai, ché pas, j'ai kiffé ça etc ? Duolingo doesn't like j'ai kiffé either.

To what extent is this sort of thing used in casual conversation. Is it an informal register only or is it more general?

The extended French from English course is a lot of work, but I'm getting there. I really like the Italian from French course too. It's much better than Italian from English.

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

vero-bis
France

Re: C'est pas grave

Post by vero-bis »

It is not grammatically correct. It is an informal register and it is much used.
You can also hear "c'n'est pas grave".

Véro
B2 : 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 / B1 : 🇧🇷 / A2 : 🇩🇪

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Is Duolingo actually teaching sentences with "ne" dropped (I feel the shouldn't, at least not in the first few lessons)?

I came across "C'est pas facile tous les jours" in a "Read and respond" exercise today.

Grammatically correct would be "Ce n'est pas facile tous les jours", right?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

BlahBlah
Serbia

Post by BlahBlah »

In regular, everyday speech, "ne" is dropped very often. It's not correct, but it's how a lot people speak.

For example, "je ne veux pas" becomes "je veux pas".
Then you have "je ne sais pas", which not only becomes "je sais pas" but even "chais pas".*
Or "je suis" which becomes something like "joui"... Check out Memrise French course, it's full of examples of everyday speech.

*You can hear that in the chorus of a famous Maître Gims song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TpyRE_juyA
("chais pas" si je t'aime)

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Yes, I understand it is used a lot, but I still think it would be preferable to teach beginners the grammatically correct form first.

Or, if that is part of their teaching concept, they should accept "je sais pas" instead of "je ne sais pas", which I think they don't.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Cifi wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:20 pm

Or, if that is part of their teaching concept, they should accept "je sais pas" instead of "je ne sais pas", which I think they don't.

I tested it and can confirm they reject "je sais pas".

Return to “Questions”