Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Σε with verb αρέσω

Cifi

Σε with verb αρέσω

Post by Cifi »

I didn't have too much trouble understanding the subject change with αρέσω, which is about the same structure as gefallen in German or gustar in Spanish.

But I didn't really pay attention which case is used. It seems to be genitive in the first couple of examples which use pronouns, and later there is σε + noun in accusative (basically the same structure as in δίνω το πουκάμισο στον άντρα, which I think of as "indirect object" though the term might not be used in Greek).

After reading a little about it, it seems that you have to use genitive with pronouns (i.e. στον αρέσει το πουκάμισο is wrong, it has to be του αρέσει το πουκάμισο) but with proper nouns both cases would be possibly, and σε + accusative may be more common, did I get this right?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Cifi

Re: Σε with verb αρέσω

Post by Cifi »

Actually this seems more of a global thing, not restricted to αρέσω:

• Pronouns in genitive, this is practised in skill "Personal pronouns", I just failed to realise that it is genitive case. Examples: Η γυναίκα μού διαβάζει το βιβλίο, της δείχνω τα παπούτσια.

• Proper nouns σε + accusative, as taught in skill "Accusative", and repeated in other skills. Example: Εγώ δείχνω τα παπούτσια μου στα παιδιά.

So, what is special about αρέσω might be just that it is possible to use genitive with proper nouns, as in Τα ρούχα μου αρέσουν εκείνου του άντρα?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

When we have pronouns as objects, we use

• accusative case for a direct object.
    Σε βλέπω. (I see you) Την ακούω. (I'm listening to her)

• genitive case for an indirect object.
    Σου τη δίνω. (I'm giving it to you) Της το λέω. (I'm telling her about it)

---
When we have nouns as objects, we use

• accusative case for a direct object.
    Βλέπω τη γυναίκα. (I see the woman) Ακούω τον μαθητή. (I'm listening to the pupil)

• the preposition σε followed by accusative case, or the noun in genitive case for an indirect object.
    Το δίνω στη γυναίκα. or [Της] το δίνω της γυναίκας. (I'm giving it to the woman)
    Το λέω στον άντρα. or [Του] το λέω του άντρα. (I'm telling the man)

The genitive case for nouns as indirect objects sounds a bit more colloquial and it's not as common as σε+acc., in my opinion. Usually, when used, we also add a pronoun in genitive case (clitic doubling). Sometimes, it sounds unnatural not to include the pronoun. So, you could say "Της το δίνω της γυναίκας" or "Το δίνω της γυναίκας".

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

Phil682961

Post by Phil682961 »

Cifi wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:40 pm

After reading a little about it, it seems that you have to use genitive with pronouns (i.e. στον αρέσει το πουκάμισο is wrong, it has to be του αρέσει το πουκάμισο)

To be emphatic, we could say something like Σε αυτόν αρέσει το πουκάμισο, where αυτόν is an accusative pronoun.

(After a preposition we have the strong form of the pronoun [αυτόν / αυτή(ν) / αυτό] rather than the clitic or weak form [τον / τη(ν) / το]: that's the reason why "στον αρέσει" doesn't work).

For example: Λέει πως παρότι πολλοί τον παρομοιάζουν με τον Μουρίνιο, σε αυτόν αρέσει το στιλ του Κλοπ αλλά και το επιθετικό ποδόσφαιρο του Γουαρδιόλα. ("He says that although many liken him to Mourinho, he likes Klopp's style but also Guardiola's attacking football")

Return to “Greek”