Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Math on Duolingo

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

dakanga

Math on Duolingo

Post by dakanga »

Thankfully, this project is continuing to be developed by Duolingo.
And recently it looks like it may be starting to reach a beta roll out.

I do hope it reaches its goals.
Maths is such a critical skill - that opens so many opportunities.
For us as individuals, and us as a community.

Focused to teach 3rd grade math and is available only on iPhones and iPads (for now)

Check out :

https://www.duolingo.com/math
https://blog.duolingo.com/duolingo-launches-math-app/

Do others have recommendations for other maths resources that are free ?

Davey944676
Great Britain

Re: Math on Duolingo

Post by Davey944676 »

Anything that teaches maths is welcome, and if Duo can do it in its bitesized, in-your-own-time, gamified way then so much the better.

I worked at a college for a while, and I was surprised to discover how many adults in my own country had no maths skills at all. This almost always seemed to be due to them being basically written-off and abandoned at school if they got behind in their lessons for one reason or another.

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Thank you Davey !

Also, it is the very early steps, that are so much more important. And if you are not privileged enough to have been given the chance to learn this, how it limits you in so many ways.

While there being so many ways to also to begin to learn. Yet if you have no one able to provide these different ways, how it harms opportunities.

Duolingo in this "example" is showing concepts of understanding fractions.

Yet the first step - is also understanding how to count and subtract.

Then, sometimes - it is when we seek to do more challenging things - that we get to really seek to "fill in the gaps".

And are awarded for finding out how to do this.

I also ponder, on how we could use better things such as learning techniques like "Memory Palaces". Something we - from my reading - have been doing before the time of literacy.
To help us learn and recall things.
And it is also why stories are so important to us - in our intelligence. Our ability to understand things.

Do people have recommendations for how to explain concepts such as "Memory Palaces" - and in particular - to use this to help you this topic - of aspects of mathematics ?

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

dakanga wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:34 pm

Do others have recommendations for other maths resources that are free ?

Another free resource.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Other suggested resources :

An interesting concepts worth pursuing is how to learn to "think like a mathematician".

Maths is not just counting and multiplication or learning formulas or how to work formulas.

It is about observing things and seeing patterns, having fun puzzling.
It is a language that allows you assess something, to do things reliably and successfully, to problem solve, to imagine new things. To see new potentials.
And the further you progress - the more it becomes like a philosophical art.

Maths allows you to play games.
And talk is at the heart of maths learning.

And one of the best ways to start to learn about maths - is by playing games.

If you are struggling with a concept of maths - try to seek out ways to change it to a game. And perhaps share your discoveries also in communities such as this.

Perhaps there are other "chat channels" that are already active in this way, and people could suggest sharing these links.

buho

Post by buho »

There are a lot of good channels on YouTube for higher mathematics. here's a list of some I can remember at the moment(some have very few subscribers, but content is gold nonetheless):

PS: there are also channels like MIT opencourseware, which are all-rounder like khan academy (I'm guessing everyone knows khan academy).

Edit: these resources, by virtue of being hosted on alphabet's servers, are not exactly free since alphabet collects vast amounts of data(and data is money). But I suppose this fact is not included in the definition of free here.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hello, at first I was a little surprised by this news. :o

But then I thought that DL even has a good idea to teach math, because any way of learning is good! :)

... and knowledge of the basics of mathematics is useful in the life of almost every person, and we should not be indifferent to the "Queen of Sciences"!

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, [mention]Davey944676[/mention], a to praktyka z polskiego. ;)

Dodam, że nie każda osoba lubi matematykę, bo nie jest ścisłowcem i woli np. przedmioty humanistyczne.

Młodzież w szkołach lubi kombinować ( ci którzy nie lubią matematyki ), aby nie przyjść na lekcję matematyki ( jak ma być klasówka, czy kartkówka ), albo spóźniają się i niejednokrotnie zostają wypraszani z lekcji, a później mają braki w nauce i tak to ogólnie wygląda.

.... może teraz "pójdą po rozum do głowy" i zaczną się uczyć tej matematyki na DL - na poważnie! hehe :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

mathemajician
United States of America

Post by mathemajician »

As far as for free (at this level that Duo is aiming at), Khan Academy has autograding content already developed.

A while ago I worked through a lot of the content myself; I recommend specific modules to my students sometimes when they are looking for extra help in specific areas.

They are pretty computational; they don't do a lot of explaining why, but if you need to know (for example) how do I subtract with regrouping, they can definitely show you.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:41 pm

...Młodzież w szkołach lubi kombinować ( ci którzy nie lubią matematyki ), aby nie przyjść na lekcję matematyki ( jak ma być klasówka, czy kartkówka )...

You are right, Danuta. If young people end up wanting to avoid maths (or any other class, for whatever reason) in school, they will find ingenious ways to avoid it! :)

It's great that people can still decide to learn a subject for themselves when the time is right, at any point in their lives.

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

At Duocon 2022 they have announced a little more information on the impending release this year of the still being developed Duolingo Maths app.

See :
duolingo’s path to math!
Sammi Siegel
Senior Software Engineer

https://www.duolingo.com/math

It’s like Duolingo, but for math
Join the waitlist! Be among the first to try a beta of our upcoming app. It teaches 3rd grade math and is available only on iPhones and iPads (for now).

The discussion on other issues on Duocon 2022 : viewtopic.php?t=5993-duocon-2022

Emilie
Vietnam

Post by Emilie »

dakanga wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:34 pm

Focused to teach 3rd grade math and is available only on iPhones and iPads (for now)

Is it only for 3rd grade or all grades? :ugeek: :?:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

We don't have anyone from Duolingo who is moderating this site.
Here, we are a community of volunteers.

This is a statement that Duolingo has made this year.

To get a response perhaps from someone on Duolingo you will need to use another forum.
Such as the Duolingo presence on : Facebook, twitter, ticktock, discord, as on these other platforms Duolingo does announce things, and also .... occasionally ... will respond to a question.

edited : 7/12/22
viewtopic.php?p=37762-xp-only-50-xp-ins ... -xp#p37762

Hi everyone, I'm Luis! You may not realize that I read this subreddit every day :) I'm happy to answer any questions you may have!

ref

So if you have something that hopefully may be read, and could be responded to by Duolingo, that might be the place to do it :

at

https://www.reddit.com/r/duolingo/

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

This is what Duolingo says about its maths app :

https://blog.duolingo.com/duolingo-launches-math-app/

We have two options for new learners when they download the app. Students can focus on elementary math, which covers classroom topics, or adults can focus on brain training, which strengthens mental math skills and covers more advanced topics.

Also check out this blog link for a list of concepts this maths app is presenting.

According to https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58816270 in an interview with Luis von Ahn on 8 October 2021

The app, focused on primary-school-level mathematics, is due to launch next year.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

I keep watching math videos on Youtube in French, Spanish, German or English (I'm a native Dutch speaker). This combines learning about new math (or science) problems and exercising spoken comprehension of the specific jargon. It's not always undergraduate math though.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Do you have any recommendations for the Youtube videos you have found interesting [mention]SweNedGuy[/mention] ?

Or anyone else as well.

Or links to other resources for maths learning ?

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

An easy one in German (the math is easy)
Mathe RÄTSEL Geometrie – Kannst du es lösen?

Name of the channel: https://www.youtube.com/@MathemaTrick

A few channels in English
Stand up maths: https://www.youtube.com/@standupmaths
If you like UK English: Numberphile (featuring Hannah Fry) is a decent choice:
https://www.youtube.com/@numberphile

An excellent video in French
La conjecture de Fermat: (24 min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcPPjZVB2vA

There is a thriller movie on the Goldbach conjecture in Spanish: La habitación de Fermat (92 min)

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Pondering a bit further on how important learning maths is, I heard from my sister yesterday, at the school she teaches at, that the wife of the head master/Principal had just completed her training to teach children under 6 years old. However she failed the section on maths, though she sat it three times, and so is only now qualified to assist with classes for under 4 year olds. .

Knowing and being competent in maths allows you to do so many things in our society. From buying and selling things. To cooking. To understand how maths helps you predict things, useful in playing games and making choices. These can be very important choices. Measuring things for planning. And so much more.

Not knowing maths can be a huge disadvantage in life.

Knowing and being competent in maths also opens up the ability to play so many games, and to have fun playing them. And playing games teaches you so many other things - including that it can improve your maths. Not knowing maths can mean you avoid playing games.
That can at times make you feel like you are the odd one out from the group.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

The mathematics of winning Monopoly

Perhaps the title could be rephrased as "Statistics helping you to win in Monopoly".

learnvocabulary
United States of America

Post by learnvocabulary »

"The Soft Roots” is a 2D & 3D animated channel which provides videos for kids to learn English, through learning Videos for kids. We educate kids through fun by using a unique blend of animation and music to make them able to learn by watching our learning videos for kids, learning videos for toddlers, learning videos for kindergarten, learning videos for babies and learning videos for preschoolers

We aspire to develop a kid’s learning enjoyable. We aim to produce fun learning Videos for kids with our beautiful 2D & 3D animation, cartoon music, and informative knowledge. We work for educational development in kids with alphabets, colors, numbers, animals, birds, shapes, fruits, vegetables, and much more.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

I’ve been having fun with my oldest grandson with the Duolingo Math app. But the other suggestions are good too. Both he and my older granddaughter like playing with arithmetic. (They are ages 6 and 4.)

Return to “Duolingo”