Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Σε as a preposition of location

Cifi

Σε as a preposition of location

Post by Cifi »

When στο + neuter noun was introduced very early in the course, translated as in/at the, I was wondering how in/at a might be expressed in Greek.

I think I can guess the answer by now, likely it would be σε + noun (with or without indefinite article), right?

So, στο (as well as στην and others introduced later) are obviously σε + definite article, much like a + el = al in Spanish or in + dem = im in German.

Not worrying about that other role σε can take with double objects for now (I do have a question related to that, too, but I'll make it a separate post), it seems that with respect to location, in Greek it can be used both to indicate a static one, as in είναι στο μουσείο, and for movements towards a place: Περπατάμε στο μουσείο, is that true?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Phil682961

Re: Σε as a preposition of location

Post by Phil682961 »

Cifi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:51 am

When στο + neuter noun was introduced very early in the course, translated as in/at the, I was wondering how in/at a might be expressed in Greek.

I think I can guess the answer by now, likely it would be σε + noun (with or without indefinite article), right?

Yes indeed. You can use σε with an accusative indefinite article: so σε έναν (masc), σε μια (fem), σε ένα (neuter).

Also, as you hint, there are situations where we need "a / an" in English, but no article is needed in Greek. For example, "είμαι σε σχέση" / "I'm in a relationship".

it seems that with respect to location, in Greek it can be used both to indicate a static one, as in είναι στο μουσείο, and for movements towards a place: Περπατάμε στο μουσείο, is that true?

Exactly so!

O.Zoe
Greece

Re: Σε as a preposition of location

Post by O.Zoe »

it seems that with respect to location, in Greek it can be used both to indicate a static one, as in είναι στο μουσείο, and for movements towards a place: Περπατάμε στο μουσείο, is that true?

Depending on context, "σε" can be translated to in, on, at, to... When you want to be more specific, you can combine it with some adverbs, i.e. "μέσα σε" (inside), "πάνω σε" (on top of). Sometimes, it's necessary to be specific to avoid ambiguity. Saying "Πηγαίνω στο μουσείο" (I'm going to the museum) is fine and there's no ambiguity. However, if you say "Τρέχω στο μουσείο", my first thought will be Bande à part and The Dreamers movies, so I'll understand it as "I'm running at the museum". To show direction, you'd need to say "Τρέχω προς το μουσείο" (I'm running towards the museum). The same goes for "περπατάω".

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

Return to “Greek”