Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

"New Posts" menu item Topic is solved

This is for Duome related issues only, about the Progress pages, about the Forum itself.
ATTENTION : For Duolingo issues, write to Duolingo support.

John Little
Brazil

"New Posts" menu item

Post by John Little »

How do I get a list of "new posts " just about my target language? (in my case English to Portuguese). The "New Posts" link lists every new post in every language.

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Re: "New Posts" menu item

Post by John Little »

I think I may have discovered the answer. It's not perfect or quick but you can refine your "new post" search using the advanced search options box.

John661162

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

You can also subscribe to a forum, so that you will get notified whenever a post or comment is posted in that forum. :)

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Jacko079[/mention] Does that work? I am currently subscribed to the Hebrew forum. I have never seen it work.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

I tried but couldn't see a "subscribe" button. Maybe on individual threads?

Last edited by John Little on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John661162

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]John Little[/mention] The subscribe button is way down at the bottom of the forum. You can see how it's circled in [mention]Jacko079[/mention]'s post. You have to untick it. That will subscribe you.

Welcome to Duome!

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Post by duome »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:10 pm

You have to untick it.

Shall we invert it already? I could never get used to this.. pecularity )

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

duome wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:04 pm
Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:10 pm

You have to untick it.

Shall we invert it already? I could never get used to this.. pecularity )

Me either. It's counterintuitive. We know how it works but it can be a bit confusing for newcomers.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]duome[/mention] Just make sure everyone knows it is now the opposite! :D

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:00 pm

@Jacko079 Does that work? I am currently subscribed to the Hebrew forum. I have never seen it work.

Hmm. Whenever I subscribe to a forum, I get notifications when a new post or comment is posted in that forum. That doesn’t happen for you?

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Hang on..... Did duome change it? Should it now be ticked or unticked?

John661162

duome

Post by duome »

John Little wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:16 am

Hang on..... Did duome change it? Should it now be ticked or unticked?

I didn't. I'll be sure to set up a forum-wide notification if I do )

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Jacko079 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:33 am
Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:00 pm

@Jacko079 Does that work? I am currently subscribed to the Hebrew forum. I have never seen it work.

Hmm. Whenever I subscribe to a forum, I get notifications when a new post or comment is posted in that forum. That doesn’t happen for you?

No, maybe I should tick and untick to jiggle the memory of the program.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

John Little wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:24 am

I think I may have discovered the answer. It's not perfect or quick but you can refine your "new post" search using the advanced search options box.

this has meanwhile been solved:

• indeed, use "Advanced Search" either on top right (= for the whole of Duome), either in the topic header (it will search that forum and optionally (your choice) also the subforums

• some forums have implemented the "Direct links" feature to "new", "unread" and "my own" for the given forum and all its subforums, such as these for Swedish viewforum.php?f=22-swedish (see on top)

• you may have your own shortcuts defined according to your needs, by using the URL setup explained here
    In fact, it's simply done by setting a Duome Advanced Search, where you specify the forums=subforums wanted, and some more options, then execute that search and then save the URL in your shortcut
    viewtopic.php?t=3156-how-to-new-posts-o ... ted-forums

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

At Manage subscriptions one gets the currently subscribed list, both of forums and topics.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

gmads wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:15 pm

At Manage subscriptions one gets the currently subscribed list, both of forums and topics.

Indeed a good hint, and often forgotten feature in the User Control Panel.

But attention for the "unread"/"new" markers (light/dark grey) in front of the forum (subforum) name
=> it's not an indication for new posts downward the tree of subforums
= also because a subscribed subforum has its own entry in this list, so it has its own marker

Here is an example

German has the light grey marker, because there is no topic with new posts under it.
even when there are unread posts under its subforum "Italienisch" ...

Conclusion: I think that the only way to search for new topics/posts in a given forum including all its subforums, is the URL built using the Advanced Search feature, which URL is eventually stored in your favorites.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Return to “Troubleshooting Duome”