Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

About لو شاء الله & إن شاء الله Topic is solved

Moderators: The_lost, Jacko079

gmads
Mexico

About لو شاء الله & إن شاء الله

Post by gmads »

There is no Spanish–Arabic forum, so I am posting here.

I've just read about the etymology of the Spanish word, "ojalá" (the entry and the comments are in Spanish), which means, "I wish" or "I hope," in a fervient or intense way.

The article says —and so does Wikipedia— that "ojalá" does not come from the Arabic word إن شاء الله ('iin sha' allah) —something I had always thought to be true—, but from the word لو شاء الله (law sha' allah), so this left me wondering about their meaning.

Google Translate said:

1. إن شاء الله = God willing ("Dios mediante")
  2. لو شاء الله = if God wills ("si Dios quiere")

Given both translations, the second one sounds closer to what we (Spanish speaking people) usually take "ojalá" to literaly mean, that is, "si Dios quiere," however, I think that "Dios mediante" conveys exactly that same sense.

So, my question is, do these Arabic expressions mean the same or is there a subtle difference in meaning or use?

شكرا لك

:hash:  ㆍالعربية

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Return to “Language”