Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Hurray, I speak Polish - kind of...

David680268
Germany

Hurray, I speak Polish - kind of...

Post by David680268 »

As the title says ... I have just completed the Polish course on the lowest level.
So what have you learned, Dorothy? To be honest, probably not very much. I couldn't hold even the most basic conversation, let alone write any of this in Polish. :lol: The most important thing is perhaps that I like the language. I rather like the sound of Polish, especially the nasal sounds and the various "sh" like sounds (rz, cz, sz etc.). Polish orthography is hell with these weird diacritical signs, but I roughly understand their purpose and why they are needed. I mostly used the word bank for the lowest level and will leave any more active forms of language learning for later. Having spent considerable time on Russian, I could often guess the right answers. I guess it is a bit like learning Dutch when you know German, or vice versa. There is enough difference so that you don't understand much at all at the beginning, but once you start learning a lot of similarities pop up. One of the most surprising things I learned is that Italy is called "Włochy". "Italia" is probably one of the most pleasant sounding words one could come up with. Double "a" and "i", the very mellow sounding consonant "l", and then the sound "t" just to offset all those smooth sounds. Whereas "Włochy" sounds shockingly similar to my younger self having had that one beer too many. :twisted: :lol:
I am not sure yet where this journey will ultimately lead me, but so far I have enjoyed it.

polnisch 2.png
polnisch 2.png (80.56 KiB) Viewed 882 times
MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: Hurray, I speak Polish - kind of...

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Have you been to Poland or do you have Polish friends?

Can you put your Polish to the test every now and then?

I live quite far away from Poland in Germany, but I heard that one of my relatives recently has a Polish girlfriend. There is hope.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:38 pm

Have you been to Poland or do you have Polish friends?

Can you put your Polish to the test every now and then?

No, not yet, and I am afraid there is not that much to put to the test right now. I would nearly have gone to Warsaw in 2020, but it did not come to be because of the pandemic. I am seriously thinking about travelling to Poland, maybe next year. There are plenty of interesting and beautiful places in the Eastern part of Central Europe, they say. I have been to France and Italy several times, and once to Spain, Portugal and Great Britain. Maybe it is time for something new. (I would also like to travel to Scandinavia some time).

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Is this you? It says your Polish is legendary level. Is that a glitch in the system?

Congratulations on your medal! 🦋 🌻

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:59 pm

Is this you? It says your Polish is legendary level. Is that a glitch in the system?

Congratulations on your medal! 🦋 🌻

Thank you, Corinnebelle.
Yes, that's me, although I'm not sure where it says my level is legendary. It certainly isn't, there is still a long way to go. :D
I had Russian up to the legendary level back in early February.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]duome[/mention] Is the reason for the discrepancy with the crowns because [mention]David680268[/mention] hasn't done a 100 day streak?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:01 pm

@duome Is the reason for the discrepancy with the crowns because @David680268 hasn't done a 100 day streak?

I just checked my Duome page and it says that I have some 70 out of approximately 400 crowns in Polish. If I multiply this by five (for a total of five levels, with only the lowest level complete), this would be roughly 350 crowns. Seems reasonable to me. Do you guys have a different version of Duome?

I have just started my "second round" of Polish. The first round was just fun and games, now it is keyboard time. This is what I see when I click that little keyboard icon on the bottom right of my laptop. :lol:

keyboard.png
keyboard.png (74.45 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Maybe I am wrong about what the blue circle around your Polish flag on your Duome page. What does it mean? The legendary one looks a bit darker than yours.

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:31 pm

Maybe I am wrong about what the blue circle around your Polish flag on your Duome page. What does it mean? The legendary one looks a bit darker than yours.

I think the blue circle means that someone completed their tree at least on the lowest level. At least that is the pattern that I would deduce from my page.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

David680268 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:41 am
Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:31 pm

I think the blue circle means that someone completed their tree at least on the lowest level. At least that is the pattern that I would deduce from my page.

That's also my conclusion from what I see in my duome-profile

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Well this legend got me confused. But legendary is a different blue.

Legend.jpg
Legend.jpg (10 KiB) Viewed 697 times

Rupledo
Poland

Post by Rupledo »

Great job! I'm almost done myself, but I used the waterfall method. I'd recommend a few resources to improve: https://duostories.org/pl-en (basic reading) https://www.audiolego.com/Polish/index.html (listening practice) and finally https://player.polskieradio24.pl/anteny/pr24 (legit Polish radio)

Gratulacje!

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

Thank you for your recommendations! I prefer the layer method, as I would call it. I finished level 1 and most of level 2, then level 3 will be next. It takes longer, but is probably better for long-term memory.

Return to “Achievements”