Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

XP for practice on the "legendary" level

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Bornhoffer
Norway

XP for practice on the "legendary" level

Post by Bornhoffer »

I have nice bunch of violet ,"legendary" medallions, which I cherish very much. Doing "hard practice" with these, has until now been awarded with 40XP, with up to 5XP in bonus. Yesterday, however, that went down to 20+5XP on my phone. My husband, on the others side, still got 45 points for practicing his "legendary" lessons. I hoped things would change back to normal overnight, but I still only receive a maximum of 25XP for these.

Does anyone know what is going on? What are your own experiences?

gardnercreek
United States of America

Re: XP for practice on the "legendary" level

Post by gardnercreek »

Same here. Only 25 pts max and used to be 45 pts max. Still doubles while in XP boost. Very frustrating.

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

If some get it and others don't then most likely an A/B test and if not that then something they are rolling out to everyone in batches
Quite what behaviour or effect they might be testing is known only to Duolingo. Equally other things they've trialled sometimes they've gone back to how things were and sometimes they've become the norm for everyone.

Duolingo is forever testing and changing - don't get too attached to any feature or behaviour because it may not always be like that

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

This is my experience, too. The only thing that seems to be reliable is that the platform keeps changing all the time.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

I also didn't get it. In the morning before I go anywhere, I usually do a story on the web and a restore on the android app (My restores are worth 38+5 xp and the stories are above 7 xp, so I reach my daily goal). However, this morning, after I did a story and a restore (the story was about 24 xp), I noticed that I hadn't reached my daily goal. My father, who's on an ios, has always gotten 20+5 xp tho

I'm as dry as a mouse.

cannonplug
Ireland

Post by cannonplug »

And on the web you still only get 10 XP with no bonuses for practice, legendary or otherwise. Is it to steer people towards the apps? I can't see another reason why there would be such a discrepancy. I don't really care that much about XP, which is why I'm sticking with the web version. I prefer the full-size keyboard on my laptop for typing.

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

It's even worse today. On my android, I only got 10+5 xp. If I get basically the same as the web, I'm doing it on the web and not the app.

I'm as dry as a mouse.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Drymice wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:19 am

It's even worse today. On my android, I only got 10+5 xp. If I get basically the same as the web, I'm doing it on the web and not the app.

Same here. I get the same points both on the web version and on my phone. But I actually don't think that's a bad thing. What's more, I think that's how it always should have been for everyone.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

cannonplug wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:04 am

And on the web you still only get 10 XP with no bonuses for practice, legendary or otherwise. Is it to steer people towards the apps? I can't see another reason why there would be such a discrepancy. I don't really care that much about XP, which is why I'm sticking with the web version. I prefer the full-size keyboard on my laptop for typing.

I get 40XP for legendary on the web. 10 XP for normal practice. 10+ 5 or less for crown lessons.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

cannonplug
Ireland

Post by cannonplug »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:23 am

I get 40XP for legendary on the web. 10 XP for normal practice. 10+ 5 or less for crown lessons.

Yes, I get the same: 40 for completing a legendary exercise, but once it's purple, I only get 10XP for practising that skill or for repairing the cracked skill.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]cannonplug[/mention] You get extra XP for practicing purple circles?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

cannonplug
Ireland

Post by cannonplug »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:18 pm

@cannonplug You get extra XP for practicing purple circles?

No, just the 10. Same as for any other practice.

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

The android app currently seems to count as follows

• 15 for a lesson without errors
  • 25 for upleveling (i.e. the extra lesson with "hardest" exercises that is not in the browser) without errors
  • 15 for practising a normal (not broken) golden skill without errors
  • 20 for "regular practice" of a normal (not broken) legendary skill without errors
  • 25 for "hard practice" of a normal (not broken) legendary skill without errors
  • 30 for practising a broken golden or legendary skill without errors

The last one does not duplicate with that "xp boost" anymore while the first two definitely too, and I'm not sure about the others.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Cifi wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:53 pm

The android app currently seems to count as follows

• 15 for a lesson without errors
  • 25 for upleveling (i.e. the extra lesson with "hardest" exercises that is not in the browser) without errors
  • 15 for practising a normal (not broken) golden skill without errors
  • 20 for "regular practice" of a normal (not broken) legendary skill without errors
  • 25 for "hard practice" of a normal (not broken) legendary skill without errors
  • 30 for practising a broken golden or legendary skill without errors

The last one does not duplicate with that "xp boost" anymore while the first two definitely too, and I'm not sure about the others.

Mods,

Could we move this (and future similar posts) to Announcements, and Sticky it so people can easily find what the current scoring schedules are?

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

How do you know the information is correct ?

On Aug 7, I did a cracked skill practice for the skill 6.18 In Town. The lesson complete screen said 30 XP, but in Duome and Duo for schools I was awarded 50 XP. Since weekly XP totals match what is in Duo for schools and Duome, you have to go by that. So I assert that practice of cracked skills is doubled, in the approximate way that XP for cracked skills are doubled. In the pre-summer scoring system, 27xp cracked skill was worth 41 XP.

We don't know if the person who created that list just accepted the XP that Duo told them on the lesson complete screen, or whether they checked each result with actual awards in Duome and Duo for schools

All summer Duo has had problems with the XP on the lesson complete screen not matching Duome and Duo for schools. I've filed umpteen different bug reports about it, they make a change, and they screw something else up.

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

Today I did a cracked skill for the lesson 7.28 Abroad 2 during a fifteen minute timer. They fixed the lesson complete screen, it now says 50xp, which now matches Duo for schools and Duome.

schools
practiced Abroad 2
+50 XP
Aug 11, 11:37 PM

Duome
2022-08-11 23:36:58 · 50XP practice Abroad 2

As a check, I've done no legendary lessons for this skill, so how could I obtain 50 XP on it unless it was cracked & XP doubled ?

It seems the more I 'break their feet' about these problems, the quicker they fix them.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

for me it's still 40 XP

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Post by ElmerRamone »

maybe i'm missing something, but what good is a bunch of XP anyway? What can you do with it? Unlike lingots, which you need to pay for legendary.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

That's partly why I've gone private with my profile. I kept feeling cheated. Much happier now, learning rather than competing :)

John661162

SOS

Post by SOS »

Hope this helps :
Duolingo Legendary level 10 requires completion of 250 units to legendary level.
Legendary level 9 requires completion of 200 units to legendary level etc…

Return to “Duolingo”