Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What would you do with 1B dollars?

zerogrqvity
United States of America

What would you do with 1B dollars?

Post by zerogrqvity »

The Georgia (state) Lottery is up to 1.3B dollars!!! So, I got to thinking, what would you do with that money? I don't even know where to start!

Edit: gtg, cya! :heart: yall

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

Deleted User 1929

Re: What would you do with 1B dollars?

Post by Deleted User 1929 »

Honestly, I’d choose a peaceful place (doesn’t have anything to do with politics) and live there with the people I love.
Of course invest some of the money.
And donate a certain amount monthly to help people who suffered from a war (especially those who lost their health).

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

I'd prob buy a house in either Denmark or New Zealand, get a cat, donate some, and I don't know what I'd do with the rest

I'm as dry as a mouse.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

The list of things is huge, what one could do,

Invest in the environment, not in some carbon credit or something, but in some tangible way, build gardens, restore land.

Help people. Find people jobs and housing. Help those with trauma.

Find ways for people to reconnect with nature, with each other and animals. Grow lots of food.

Build houses. Buy boats. Land. Islands

Save some, spend some, give some.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

buy an apartment and travel

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Frankly, I don't need that much money. I would buy a house in Norway and keep a couple of millions to live in a comfortable way. I would donate the rest to medical research and animal protection.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

First off, I would give a tithe.

(If unaware what that is, a tithe is a portion of your income given as an offering to your church. Because the custom of tithing is biblical, many Christians and Jews practice it.

As Leviticus says, “ And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's: it is holy unto the Lord.” And Proverbs says, “Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:”)

After that, I would probably pay off any debts I, my relatives, or friends have.

I’d like to do some more traveling. Saudi Arabia, Greece, Svalbard, Iceland, Bhutan, Egypt, I could go on and on. :)

I’d like to donate to some different charities or organizations.

I’d like to help people who have various medical conditions or illnesses.

Helping people in poverty. Not so much just giving them money, but giving them access to cleaner living spaces, drinkable water, etc. and also giving them job opportunities. Ways to support themselves.

I’d buy my dog some more bones, he’d enjoy that.

I’d save a bit for the future, spend a bit, and give a bit.

After all that, I think I’d like to go on a little shopping trip. :)

I’m don’t think I would want a billion dollars though. It certainly would make things easier, at least it feels like it would. But with all that money, would come a lot of responsibility also. Could I handle that responsibility? How would that change my view on life? Would I get greedy? I certainly would hope not. Without a billion dollars right now, I’m pretty happy I would say.

If I ever do get a billion dollars, I’ll keep you all updated. :)

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Jacko079 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:57 am

The word tithe means tenth in Hebrew.

No, the Hebrew word is "ma'asér" (מעשר). "Tithe" is an English word.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

EranBarLev wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:30 am

Well, I’m mistaken. Thank you for the correction! I’ll edit it out.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

EranBarLev wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:30 am

Would it be to correct to say the say the word tithe in the English Bible is translated from the Hebrew word מעשר which is a tenth? For example:

Lev_27:30  And allH3605 the titheH4643 of the land,H776 whether of the seedH4480 H2233 of the land,H776 or of the fruitH4480 H6529 of the tree,H6086 is the LORD'S:H3068 it is holyH6944 unto the LORD.H3068

H4643
מַעַשְׂרָה    מַעֲשַׂר    מַעֲשֵׂר
ma‛ăśêr    ma‛ăśar    ma‛aśrâh
mah-as-ayr', mah-as-ar', mah-as-raw'
From H6240; a tenth; especially a tithe: - tenth (part), tithe (-ing).

Or does it have a different meaning from the one listed in Strong's?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:41 am

Would it be to correct to say the say the word tithe in the English Bible is translated from the Hebrew word מעשר which is a tenth? For example:

Lev_27:30  And allH3605 the titheH4643 of the land,H776 whether of the seedH4480 H2233 of the land,H776 or of the fruitH4480 H6529 of the tree,H6086 is the LORD'S:H3068 it is holyH6944 unto the LORD.H3068

H4643
מַעַשְׂרָה    מַעֲשַׂר    מַעֲשֵׂר
ma‛ăśêr    ma‛ăśar    ma‛aśrâh
mah-as-ayr', mah-as-ar', mah-as-raw'
From H6240; a tenth; especially a tithe: - tenth (part), tithe (-ing).

Or does it have a different meaning from the one listed in Strong's?

The Hebrew word מעשר indeed means "tenth". I have no idea where the English word "tithe" comes from.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

[mention]Jacko079[/mention] Alright, you better keep us updated-

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

All of these are great! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]EranBarLev[/mention]

The word tithe comes from tenth too, but from a root of a different language of course.

tithe (n.)
a tenth part (originally of produce) due as support of the clergy, c. 1200, from Old English teogoþa (Anglian), teoþa (West Saxon) "tenth," from Proto-Germanic *tegunthan, from PIE *dekmto-, from PIE root *dekm- "ten." Retained in ecclesiastical sense while the form was replaced in ordinal use by tenth.

Source

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

I will donate half of it to the needy and the poor . .

Also, I will buy a house for myself . .

I don't know what to do with that house on my own but I want to . . 😅

I also want to build a mosque . .

وترى ظُروفَ الأمسِ صارت بلسَمًا
وهي التي أَعيَتْك حينَ تعسّرتْ

رِنــاد

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

To suddenly have a billion dollars could be a waking nightmare.

Firstly, and selfishly, I would hate it...

I like being able to go where I want, and do what I want, without being surrounded by teams of advisors and bodyguards. There is no way you could live any semblance of an independent life with that much money.

Secondly, and selfishly, I would fear it...

A billion is too much to remain relatively and happily anonymous, but not enough to protect you from a global smear/hate campaign if you used that money effectively in a way that some corporation/political wing/government did not like. You would need, for your own protection and sanity, to instantly become a defacto politician, throwing your hat into the ring with one "side" or another, with many of your new circle of "friends" being people you might distrust or even despise.

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

I don't know what I can do with that money but I really hope I never get that much
😐

But it's really nice to read other people's dreams 😁🌹

ابتسم دااااائما :D
Always smile ;) :D
🥀🥀

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, [mention]zerogrqvity[/mention]!

Well, I wouldn't be rich for long because I'm a sensitive person.

I would definitely share this wealth with poor, sick people and it would give me great joy! 😊

... "Money does not bring happiness" - means that the most important thing in life is not money, because there are more important things such as: health, family, friends, ... then money will not help you .... jeżeli nie będziesz miała z kim porozmawiać i komu zaufać.

I have such a cool song here:

Fiddler on the roof - If I were a rich man

Have a nice day. :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Misread the B for an 8 without my glasses.
I thought about finding something to eat for that kind of money.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

…..

Last edited by Meli578588 on Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1414

Post by Deleted User 1414 »

I want to move to Tokyo and travel to London, Paris, Hanoi, Shanghai, etc. And I think I will spend money on language learning materials.

SimbiAni
United States of America

Post by SimbiAni »

what a coincidence finding this topic just after checking the PowerBall results tonight!

I actually have always seen it as a fact that money does & can bring "happiness" - because without it, as I am now, my health is craap, my overall "security" is nonexistent, & everything I personally need to truly survive in this world is not only unkeepable but not really attainable at all.. & honestly, I really want to do more than just "survive", I want to thrive, & from my preferred place of solitude as a disabled hermit loner, with guaranteed financial security I could not only be able to finally fund all of my dreams but also grant random wishes, help various worthy causes, etc etc..

basically I'd totally be happy with any of the "lifetime" or annuity prizes of the MassLottery! (from $50k/yr to $5K/wk to $1M/yr, all good!)

yet a billion? or close enough to? well, annuity option is the way to go, lol spread it out!! secondly, after all the bills, debt, & basic charitable stuff that obviously comes first, with such a high amount, I may be able to buy at least a few of my favorite websites & finally have them redesigned better xD

then maybe also buy my old movie theatre building (the one still standing) & revive it for the nostalgia <33333

other local things: try to get sidewalks where there are none, lobby for better bus routes, help to get the filthy river cleaned, add more trash receptacles, make everywhere a little more colorful (& I'm talking rainbow colors because I love them! lol) & accessible, etc..

ppl things: every time I visit any store or ordering line, quietly pay for the person-in-front-of-me's entire purchase, plus a lil smth for the next person behind.. randomly pay for someone to get All-on-4 teeth every once in a while because that procedure is ridiculously expensive but definitely can make people really happy! leave cash in random places to make someone's day (along with an inspirational note from the Money Fairy) <3 etc..

a few of my top personal goals: in my dream house, where I can sing as loudly as I want to, swim in any season weather with an indoor pool, everything is handicap-accessible (ramps, at least one elevator, etc), there's themed rooms for all the awesome things I'd like to collect, & I'd never have to worry about the place getting "messy" because I would be able to afford to hire people to help out & maintain the property.. sigh, if only! x.x

ohh, I just thought of smth else.. commission / fund media adaptations of my favourite stories? but which to choose! :D

🇺🇸 = fluent from youth & only one to 'stick'; 🇨🇦 = lifelong from nonblood relatives
🇩🇴🇵🇷 = lifelong exposure via local cultures; 🇮🇹 = for discovering genetic heritage
🇧🇷 = cuz why not; 🇰🇷🇯🇵 = L❤VE!! +24 more lol omg https://duome.eu/SimbiAni

eaglefin31
United States of America

Post by eaglefin31 »

I have no idea what I would do. Probably donate some, invest the rest, and live off the interest.

​Lead the sword with your body, and you will become one with it.
-Miyamoto Musashi

Return to “Random Thoughts”