Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What's your favorite word in your target language?

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Re: What's your favorite word in your target language?

Post by PtolemysXX »

gmads wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:07 pm

In general terms I just like how the Italian language sounds…
(...)

Totally agree. "Cinquecento": a perfect name for a tiny little car...

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

PtolemysXX wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:34 pm
gmads wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:07 pm

In general terms I just like how the Italian language sounds…
(...)

Totally agree. "Cinquecento": a perfect name for a tiny little car...

Yes, and let's not forget the related tongue twister (sì, e non dimentichiamoci del relativo scioglilingua)… cinquemilacinquecentocinquantacinque, maybe to name a tractor (forse per chiamare un trattore) :D

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

gmads wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:31 am
Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:21 pm

@gmads What is the root for ferretería? A furrier?

It comes from Latin: ferrum = fierro (iron) + the suffix "-ería" to denote a place where something is sold or a service is given (e.g. panadería: where bread is sold; lavandería). So a ferretería is a place where metal objects are sold, like tools, nails, etc.

A closely related term is that of tlapalería (hardware store).

A furrier would be a peletero (the one who works with skins), and a furriery would be a peletería.

A ferret shop is lot more interesting than the hardware!

At least more hairy! :D

What about the English word " farrier". The man who puts shoes on horses. Is that similar to ferreter ?

Isn't it wonderful to find connections in so many languages.

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Steve579062 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:12 pm

...What about the English word " farrier". The man who puts shoes on horses. Is that similar to ferreter ?...

Wiktionary thinks so...

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/farrier

A fair few "ferr-" words in the translation list, too. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Steve579062 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:12 pm
gmads wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:31 am

@gmads What is the root for ferretería? A furrier?

A furrier would be a peletero (the one who works with skins), and a furriery would be a peletería.

What about the English word " farrier". The man who puts shoes on horses. Is that similar to ferreter ?

Sounds French!

To imagine that a hundred years ago they were quite common, and now they are so unusual!

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]PtolemysXX[/mention] Fascinating Chinese character. Apparently 213 meaning turtle can have more strokes.

𪛖

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

John238922 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:29 am
Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:16 pm

When did nails become wholesale items?

@Corinnebelle you seem to be using wholesale in a very restricted way that I'm not familiar with.

My understanding of wholesale is

selling of goods in large quantities and at low prices, typically to be sold on by retailers at a profit.

In other words, any supply of goods to a retailer who sells to consumers.

How are you defining it?

Nails were easier to make than I thought. I suppose in early history they smelted the ore themselves and then they would have been more of an artisan product, but later on once they had iron smelters and then used the bars to make nails they made 1,000s in a day.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 5705

Post by Deleted User 5705 »

?

Last edited by Deleted User 5705 on Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

What more, there are a lot of dialect words that have a unique sound, e.g. the Napolitan "sgugnizzo", un monello típicamente napoletano, ragazzo vivace, irriquieto, che si comporta con scarso senso del dovere e con poco rispetto delle convenienze sociali e moral. Siccome Napoli è Napoli, il termine ha tono più affettuoso che di riprovazione: Sono comunque tutti bravi ragazzi.

Deleted User 5705

Post by Deleted User 5705 »

Last edited by Deleted User 5705 on Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

Infatti. Sembra che ci sia anche la variante motoben. Nei dialetti del Nord il "e" spesso si pronuncia come un "I". Poi c'è la tendenza di ridurre I doppi consonant, cosicché bello diventa belo o addiritura beo nel Veneto. Forse c'è anche questo effetto in moto invece di molto.

dxtoeppe
Italy

Post by dxtoeppe »

Since it is early in my language journey, pasticceria is my favorite word so far. Have to keep the priorities straight when learning vocabulary. 🍩🍰

Deleted User 7169

Post by Deleted User 7169 »

My favorite word in Russian is Закуска (Zakuska) which means Snack. I love saying this word because of how it sounds.

My favorite Hebrew word is בבקשה (Bevakasha) which means Please or You’re welcome depending on context. I think the word sounds beautiful.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

AlexeiChel wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:00 pm

My favorite word in Russian is Закуска (Zakuska) which means Snack...

That brings me back to "smaczny", just one of many Polish adjectives meaning "tasty"/"delicious", which is one of my favourites - probably just because it sounds familiarly a bit like the English phrase "lipsmacking". :)

("смачний" in Ukrainian sounds similar - therefore similarly easy to remember!)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Deleted User 7169

Post by Deleted User 7169 »

That’s a good word too, смачний, in Russian “tasty/delicious” is вкусний which is also memorable as a word, but the word that sounds like smachny sounds like snacking to me.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

AlexeiChel wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:49 pm

That’s a good word too, смачний, in Russian “tasty/delicious” is вкусний which is also memorable as a word, but the word that sounds like smachny sounds like snacking to me.

"Tasty ~ вкусний" and in Polish it is "smaczny" and this adjective has many synonyms, namely:
wyśmienity, pyszny, znakomity, apetyczny, dobry, miodzio, miód w gębie, miód-malina, mniam, mniam mniam, niebo w gębie, palce lizać, paluszki lizać, pycha, pychota, pyszności, pyszota, rarytas .... 🙂

"Закуска" in Polish: przystawka, zakąska

• на закуску икра → na zakąskę kawior
  • закуска к водке → zakąska do wódki

Snacks In Under 10 Minutes

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

XeO3
Botswana

Post by XeO3 »

shamaani
Shaman in Finnish - it is just such an oddity. The initial consonant is not a Finnish sound & is also represented with š. Not a terribly useful word for the DL Finnish course, but they were aiming at having every sound in the language used at least once (why didn't they select šampoo?). And Finnish borrowed this word from some Siberian language - why not use the Saami word noaidi?
huligaani
The Finnish form of hooligan.
ammattiloukkaantuja
'Professional offendee' - the Finnish equivalent of snowflake.

La metemàtica am pias pa vàire.

Deleted User 10974

Post by Deleted User 10974 »

Just came across a word in German I hadn't heard before.

Mein Schnuckiputzi

Means, my Sweetiepie! (Aww... 😍..)

ararat-tempest
St Helena

Post by ararat-tempest »

Gozci Cujyi [Zhuang]

internationalism
国際主義
国际主义
btw, if "国际主义" written in Zhuang style with pinyin, that would be,
"Gvoqciz Cuhyiz"
wow, it became very "creole"!

native: 🇨🇳 a teacher of: 🇺🇸🇯🇵 primary: 🇳🇴🇩🇰🇸🇪🇫🇮🇮🇩🇳🇱🇭🇹🇪🇸🇧🇷🇮🇹🇻🇳🇫🇷Image secondary: 🇰🇷🇹🇷🇨🇿ImageImage planned: ImageImage🇪🇪🇮🇸🇫🇴🇱🇨🇨🇼🇿🇦🇹🇱🇱🇺🇰🇮🇲🇾🇸🇰🇲🇪🇧🇦🇷🇸🇭🇷🇬🇱

Return to “Random Thoughts”