Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Gehactus

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

Corinnebelle

Gehactus

Post by Corinnebelle »

Well, I'm not sure where to post this, but I was reading a book and apparently this is a German food. It was eaten at Christmas time. My online search query didn't bring up anything with that spelling. Not even glosbe could disclose the secret.

I don't know if it's an obscure dialect of German or a misspelling.

Can anyone tell me what gehactus is?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

IceVajal
Germany

Re: Gehactus

Post by IceVajal »

I think it's Gehacktes which is grounded meat, usually pork and beef 50/50. Sometimes you'll hear / read Hack(fleisch).

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]IceVajal[/mention] How is it served?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Usually it's used to make meat balls or meat loaf, but also in one pot recipes. There are countless ways to use it. It's more an ingredient than a dish.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

One of my winter favorites (quick and easy): "Gehacktes" with white cabbage.

Chop white cabbage, steam it with salt and cumin until it is as soft as you want it.

Fry "Gehacktes" with oil in a pan with salt, pepper and nutmeg (careful with the dosage!). Stir constantly.

When both are ready: stir together and eat

The next day the reheated leftovers still taste excellent

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention] [mention]IceVajal[/mention] After reading the rules on another forum with the same subforums, I concluded my post was in the wrong spot. Just letting you know in case you wondered where it went!

I see there is no moderator here for the German. I'm not sure I want to wear green even though I am a moderator myself.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention], move it, if you want to. But I don't think anybody will complain.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]IceVajal[/mention] I did move it. Yes, it's quiet in here! Shhh! Maybe we need to liven it up?

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I make cabbage with thin garlic ( crispy brown .)

Meatloaf: Has a ketchup glaze on top !

Thanks for the recipes everyone. :)

🦋

Last edited by Meli578588 on Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:08 pm

@IceVajal I did move it. Yes, it's quiet in here! Shhh! Maybe we need to liven it up?

Most of the time I don't pay attention where something is posted, usually I go via "unread posts". 🤣

Yeah, it's still a bit quite in many corners of the forum. It's summer time, so people are on vacation or spend time outside...

Deutscheratte
United States of America

Post by Deutscheratte »

The cabbage recipe sounds tasty. For vegetarians (in the US, at least) there are vegetarian "crumbles" available that would make a good substitute.

Return to “Culture & Society”