Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Traditional Ukrainian greeting

Moderator: HeyMarlana

Corinnebelle

Traditional Ukrainian greeting

Post by Corinnebelle »

I have just read a book about a Ukranian. They used a beautiful traditional greeting.

1st speaker: "Glory to Jesus Christ!"
2nd speaker: "For endless ages. Amen."

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Re: Traditional Ukrainian greeting

Post by duome »

This is from the orthodox service in the the old slavic / old church slavonic language. This is exactly how it is spoken in every orthodox church to this day. It may have been adopted for use in some less formal contexts, i.e. not just in a church. Much like the Irish Dia dhuit / Dia's Muire dhuit.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Dia dhuit / Dia's Muire dhuit.

What does it mean?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Post by duome »

God to you / God and Mary be with you (used basically as hello/hello when people meet).

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

It is (shortened) "Слава Ісу!" – "На віки віків!"
Not that I often go to orthodox church, but I don't remember anyone saying it outside strictly religious environment.

Besides, for two major holidays there are special greetings:
"Христос народився!" – "Славі́мо його!"
and
"Христос воскрес!" – "Воі́стину воскрес!" – three times, and to kiss each other, also thrice.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:34 am

I have just read a book about a Ukranian. They used a beautiful traditional greeting.

1st speaker: "Glory to Jesus Christ!"
2nd speaker: "For endless ages. Amen."

We have it in Polish, too, although the use is somewhat limited (this is what you say when you greet a priest or a nun - you never say to them "good morning" or "hello").

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I am
Studying Ukrainian now. 🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

It reminds me of the Easter greeting, as @Enzfj2 mentioned, and what the English possibilities would be if we spoke like this:

Person 1: "Christ has risen!"
Person 2: "No doubt!"

I think of this like the days whenever people used to say "How do you do? Nice to meet you," and someone would reply: "Likewise!" It's a charming, old-school answer to many things back, about a hundred years ago. Not many people say it now. They just say, "You too." Only today, Ukrainians are perfectly content to use these greetings and replies. :)

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

Reading about greeting made me think of my walks in the UK this weekend. I am lucky enough to live in a fairly rural area. Everyone I passed whilst out on the canal side said hello. Horse riders , cyclists and dog walkers all pass some greeting.
It may not be the same for all areas and probably not in the cities but I wonder if it is the same in other countries ?

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Steve579062 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:34 pm

Reading about greeting made me think of my walks in the UK this weekend. I am lucky enough to live in a fairly rural area. Everyone I passed whilst out on the canal side said hello. Horse riders , cyclists and dog walkers all pass some greeting.
It may not be the same for all areas and probably not in the cities but I wonder if it is the same in other countries ?

In Ukrainian countryside, it's absolutely required to greet everyone.
In big cities, you're supposed to know your neighbours at least from the same staircase, so you say "hello" to everyone in the elevator cabin or on the stairs. The same I observed in Germany and Spain: you say "Hallo" or "Hola" respectively to everyone within the building, regardless of if you know the person(s) or not.

OCgXt4Pu
Poland

Post by OCgXt4Pu »

The greeting discussed here sounds like an Ukrainian version of a traditional Christian greeting (in Latin: Laudetur Iesus Christusin saecula saeculorum) that had found its way into many languages around even if it's not widely used anymore. It's interesting to learn that it's the same in the Orthodox Church.
Similarly the traditional Easter greeting among Christians is Christus resurrexitvere resurrexit (we have that one in Polish rendered as Chrystus zmartwychwstałprawdziwie zmartwychwstał). Although in this case the Latin form is reportedly already a calque from Greek so it's not surprising that it's the same.

Return to “Ukrainian”