Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Adjectives

Cifi

Adjectives

Post by Cifi »

After pink water, pink avocado, pink rice, pink coffee, pink everything finally the different, gender-specific forms that other adjectives can take are introduced in lesson 1.10: Food.

I was surprised that the tips don't even mention it, but anyway, what I understood is that it is

• το νόστιμο αγγούρι
  • ο νόστιμος χύμος χυμός
  • η νόστιμη πίτσα

is that correct?

And other adjectives ending in -ο for neuter gender would follow this pattern?

• το μικρό μήλο
  • ο μικρός γορίλας
  • η μικρή αδελφή

Ροζ is obviously an exception as it is invariant. Are there others like ροζ or is it the only one?

Last edited by Cifi on Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Phil682961

Re: Adjectives

Post by Phil682961 »

Cifi wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:54 pm

I was surprised that the tips don't even mention it, but anyway, what I understood is that it is

• το νόστιμο αγγούρι
  • ο νόστιμος χύμος
  • η νόστιμη πίτσα

is that correct?

Note it's χυμός, but totally correct as far as the adjective is concerned :)

And other adjectives ending in -ο for neuter gender would follow this pattern?

• το μικρό μήλο
  • ο μικρός γορίλας
  • η μικρή αδελφή

Not all adjectives follow this pattern, but it's the single most common one.

Here's the full paradigm, illustrated for νόστιμος and μικρός.

Ροζ is obviously an exception as it is invariant. Are there others like ροζ or is it the only one?

Generally adjectives which are loanwords are indeclinable (the same as for nouns). Another example is ριγέ ("striped", from French). I think Duo makes heavy use of ροζ in the first few units, because it's useful to use an indeclinable word to avoid distractions when the purpose of the unit is to teach basics.

Cifi

Re: Adjectives

Post by Cifi »

Thank you Phil, I corrected my error.

I learned an invariant noun in today's lesson, obviously a loanword, as ροζ and ριγέ:

Το χάμρτερ - τα χάμστερ

(It feels a bit lonely around here, I seem to be almost the only one to ask questions about Greek. But I'm really happy that you and O.Zoe take the time to answer.)

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Return to “Greek”