Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

When is knowledge knowledge?

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

When is knowledge knowledge?

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

To know that you know what you know, that is knowledge.

• Confucius (as I remember it)

🇺🇦

Davey944676
Great Britain

Re: When is knowledge knowledge?

Post by Davey944676 »

To know that lots of other people already knew most of the same stuff that I "discovered" as a kid but were kind enough to let me bang on about it as if I had discovered it - thus encouraging self-confdence and an interest in science.

That also is (slightly cringy in retrospect, but reassuring and happy) knowledge! 8-)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

When I was starting out my career, someone once told me: "you don't need to know everything right now. You need to know the people who know what you want to know."

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

When you know it....

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Explorer wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:13 pm

When I was starting out my career, someone once told me: "you don't need to know everything right now. You need to know the people who know what you want to know."

That’s why it’s good knowing you, explorer. 😉

🇺🇦

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:30 am

Well well, as a good Greek friend used to say:

Socrates wrote:

The only thing I know is that I know nothing.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Explorer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:21 am
panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:30 am

Well well, as a good Greek friend used to say:

Socrates wrote:

The only thing I know is that I know nothing.

A Socratic conceit.

🇺🇦

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

One of my teachers always said (roughly translated): you do not need to remember the facts, but you need to know where to find them.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

IceVajal wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:48 am

One of my teachers always said (roughly translated): you do not need to remember the facts, but you need to know where to find them.

Einstein is famous for his bent away from rote memorization. Science needs to focus not on what is already known, or thought to be known, but on the vaster realms of the unknown. Computers can function as prosthetic memories. For most of my life, I have avoided memorizing almost anything and deliberately tried to forget many things. I became very good at forgetting! But….for the past ten years, I have wondered what it would be like to value memorization. And the older i get the more obsessive this quest to memorize has become.

🇺🇦

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

It was not about don't memorize things, but to focus on the important things. I remember that in 6th grade we had to learn all the republics of the Soviet Union, which we should memorize, but the rest we should learn for a test and forget immediately, coz we were forced to learn the square kilometers for every republic, number of inhabitants and inhabitants per square kilometer. Our teacher had to teach us this and do a test. But he thought it's bullsh*t.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

I can add that "Knowledge" is very important, but "Practice makes perfect!"

This proverb reminds us that repeating actions allows us to become a master. You must not give up in the event of failure, but by exercising your mind and body all the time strive to achieve the intended goal.

I totally agree with it because it is true! :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

In my professional life I have often made the experience that you should not immediately overwhelm a new colleague with too much information. If you give him too much information at once, he can't remember it anyway. If you give him too little, it's unfair.

So I try to convey knowledge in bite-sized pieces. This is also the best way for me to learn: not too much at a time

So what is knowledge for me? Something that sticks, that you can call up at any time

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

IceVajal wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:13 pm

It was not about don't memorize things, but to focus on the important things. I remember that in 6th grade we had to learn all the republics of the Soviet Union, which we should memorize, but the rest we should learn for a test and forget immediately, coz we were forced to learn the square kilometers for every republic, number of inhabitants and inhabitants per square kilometer. Our teacher had to teach us this and do a test. But he thought it's bullsh*t.

It’s sort of a knowledge vs data issue. Or facts vs information. But which is actually which? Names are just arbitrary labels and change over time. People and land actually exist.

🇺🇦

Return to “Random Thoughts”