Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

我姐姐做的甜点真漂亮。 English translation

Moderator: PtolemysXX

Schnickschnack
Germany

我姐姐做的甜点真漂亮。 English translation

Post by Schnickschnack »

Hi,

Duolingo translates the sentence

我姐姐做的甜点真漂亮。⟷ The dessert my older sister made is really pretty.

Could this also be translated like this?

我姐姐做的甜点真漂亮。⟷ The desserts my older sister makes are really pretty.

Many thanks!

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: 我姐姐做的甜点真漂亮。 English translation

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Da in Chinesisch nicht explizit zwischen Singular und Plural unterschieden wird, müsste der Plural genauso akzeptiert werden. Wenn nicht: melden

Since Chinese does not explicitly distinguish between singular and plural, the plural should also be accepted. If not: report it

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Schnickschnack
Germany

Post by Schnickschnack »

Thank you MoniqueMaRie!

Darf man das auch ins Präsens anstatt in die Vergangenheit setzen?

What about using the present (the cakes she makes), instead of the past (the cakes she made)?

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I don't see any sign for past tense in the chinese sentence. So I would say: yes, try it

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Schnickschnack wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:56 am

Hi,

Duolingo translates the sentence

我姐姐做的甜点真漂亮。⟷ The dessert my older sister made is really pretty.

Could this also be translated like this?

我姐姐做的甜点真漂亮。⟷ The desserts my older sister makes are really pretty.

Many thanks!

I think it depends on a context, although, IMO, 我姐姐做的甜点真漂亮 means "The dessert my older sister MADE is really pretty." It mentions about THE DESSERT she JUST made. If you want to say that "The dessert my older sister made was really pretty.", then you can add "那天" to "做的" like 我姐姐那天做的甜点真漂亮了

If you want say "The desserts my older sister makes are really pretty." as a general phenomenon, 我姐姐做的甜点总是很漂亮 (The desserts my older sister makes are always pretty.) or 我姐姐会做出非常漂亮的甜点 (My sister makes really beautiful desserts.) et cetera.

I'm not a native English speaker (as you can see) nor native Chinese speaker, so please take my word with a grain of salt.

Return to “Sentence discussions”