Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

הבית שלי נפל על המכשפה מהמזרח. (en → he) Topic is solved

Moderator: Corinnebelle

sentence bot 🤖

הבית שלי נפל על המכשפה מהמזרח. (en → he)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

הבית שלי נפל על המכשפה מהמזרח.

en: My house fell on the witch from the East.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/20714255

EranBarLev
Israel

Re: הבית שלי נפל על המכשפה מהמזרח. (en → he)

Post by EranBarLev »

The wicked owl of the west rejected my answer:
My home fell on the witch from the east.

What's the difference between "house" and "home", and why shouldn't "home" be accepted here?

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]EranBarLev[/mention] House can refer to a structure people live in. Home is specifically where you live. For example if this is your rental property than your house would have fallen on the witch, but it wouldn't have been your home, it would have been your tenants home. However home and house are very similar, so I don't see why home shouldn't be accepted, except that it seemed to me that Duolingo was using something like [not sure if it had the yod] ביתה for home and בית for house. Is there such a distinction in Hebrew?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:23 pm

except that it seemed to me that Duolingo was using something like [not sure if it had the yod] ביתה for home and בית for house. Is there such a distinction in Hebrew?

No. ביתה is a formal way to say "her house/home".

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Return to “Sentence discussions”