Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

einen Bock schießen

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

einen Bock schießen

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

This has almost the same meaning as "ins Fettnäpfchen treten" (to blunder), i.e. doing/saying something that one should not have done or said.

This saying has its origin in "Schützenfesten". There, a billy goat was the consolation prize. So if you missed your target, you shot a goat. (I didn't know that and just looked it up)

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

pawndemic
Germany

Re: einen Bock schießen

Post by pawndemic »

While I agree that einen Bock schießen is some sort of a huge mistake and therefore could be blunder , I disagree with ins Fettnäpfchen treten These are actions which could lead to unconformtable or embarrasing situations. These are by no means only big mistakes. Sometimes you can say something completly correct and nevertheless step into the Fettnäpfchen, because e.g. you said something which refers unintentionally to something which you did not wanted to address.
Not sure what is in English. Could be to put one's foot in one's mouth. I'm not sure why some dictionaries say it is blunder.

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

Chrisinom
Germany

Re: einen Bock schießen

Post by Chrisinom »

@ Pawndemic: According to the Cambridge Dictionary it is "to say or do something that you should not have, esp. something that embarrasses someone else", which corresponds to your definition of the "Fettnäpfchen". There's a corresponding Italian phrase: "mettere il piede in bocca".

Return to “Proverbs”