Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Polygloss - A great way to practice your language

We can't solve any technical issues that you may have with other services, but the Duome community may still give you some answers and ideas. Ask your questions, share experiences, exchange tips and advice and be welcome!

Forum rules

Duome can't solve the technical issues that you may have with any particular product.
For technical support, please, contact your respective service provider.
However the Duome community may have the answer to your questions.
Share your questions, get answers, share experiences, exchange tips and advice.

The language learning product subforums are listed in alphabetical order.

ARCANA-MVSA
United States of America

Polygloss - A great way to practice your language

Post by ARCANA-MVSA »

I happened across a new(ish) app on Google Play called Polygloss, which lets users take part in a language-based guessing game of sorts. These matches can be played with friends or with randomly-assigned partners.

The one starting the match picks an image, and provides some clues in the target language as to which image that may be. Then the partner has several options - to translate what the first person said, to offer corrections, and/or to give awards for various things (creativity and humor included). Once the partner has made their guess as to which image the first person chose, it's their turn to pick the image for the first person to guess. And on it goes :)

The images are organized by topic, which is nice. Paying members get immediate access to all topics (to my understanding), but non-paying members can still unlock all the lessons through earning stars.

You can add or remove languages on your profile, or adjust their levels as needed (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced). You can also see what level your partner is at and vary the difficulty of your clues accordingly.

This game is centered around free response and is great for sharpening your writing skills. Even better, because everything is free response, this app works for pretty much any language - as long as you can find someone to practice with. :) Note, however, that this app isn't intended for beginners without any prior experience with the language - this app is purely for practice and learning through mistakes, and assumes some background with the language (enough to formulate your own clues for each image).

It also has a few other perks that I haven't gone into, but overall, the app seems nicely planned. It's very simple (no animations!) with a consistent graphics style that is far better than Duolingo's.

The only real downsides to it are: 1) unless you have friends to play with on the platform, you don't really have any control over the level of your partner. I.e. there's no way to specify you want a native speaker vs. a beginner. This means the quality of any feedback can also vary a good bit. And 2) you can get invitations for any language, not just the one you're currently practicing - which isn't much of a problem, but it can be confusing to be practicing German and suddenly opening a match that's in Welsh. :) A means of better splitting those up (and turning off or "snoozing" matches for certain languages) would be nice. A dark mode would be awesome too, but last I heard, that's already slated for development by the devs.

Overall, the community seems good, even for less-common languages - and I definitely recommend anyone in need of a little language practice to give it a shot. And since it doesn't seem this service has been mentioned elsewhere just yet, I figured I'd give it a shout-out for anyone else who might be interested in trying it. :)

(Yes, I've mentioned it once before, but there was some inaccurate info in that post and I figured this app deserved its own spotlight for a bit anyway. :) )

If anyone else has tried this app, what were your thoughts?

Libavka tavda valdyavisveltsinvok

Deleted User 114

Re: Polygloss - A great way to practice your language

Post by Deleted User 114 »

I joined Polygloss today. :)

MsFixer
Japan

Post by MsFixer »

The developer of Polygloss posted a new release note on Reddit three months ago.

According to them, the target users of Polygloss are intermediate learners (or very brave beginners). Polygloss may enable you to improve your output skills. I guess Polygloss requires users to be more proactive than on Duolingo.

I found the behind-the-scenes story of the app interesting.

But some learners posted negative reviews on Polygloss one month later. Read the replies to understand both pros and cons.

Last edited by MsFixer on Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

MsFixer with Pulau Bahasa | Native: 🇯🇵 | Learning: 🇮🇩 (B1)

Dodoa
Austria

Post by Dodoa »

I've just tried it and it seems fun. I'm Dodoa on there too if anyone wants to add me as a friend.

Native: 🇩🇪 C1: 🇺🇸 A1: 🇫🇷 󠁬

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Dodoa wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:13 pm

I've just tried it and it seems fun. I'm Dodoa on there too if anyone wants to add me as a friend.

Now I'm also on polygloss. I added you as a friend and sent you a French description (probably not very creative)

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Sometimes I can't imagine what the pictures shown are about. Is that exactly when I should get creative?
So far, I probably haven't always taken into account the language level of my counterpart - especially when answering in German.

In the case of Italian, I received a sentence that I was able to assign to the "right" picture (rather by chance?), but which neither I nor deepl.com could interpret as Italian. I haven't seen a way to comment on something like that? Have you?

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Been doing this for a while and it is a good add-on and fun. But I haven't yet worked out how to use it properly.

There are no real instructions that I can find but I have just worked out that you need to award personal points to people before you guess the picture.

Are there any proper instructions anywhere? What are the diferent awards and why is there a limit on some.

I'm "Charles III" , BTW :)

John661162

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Lately, the sentences that are sent to me are always either French or Italian. That's ok, but I get confused now and then. I start with French and don't pay attention, so I rematch the next Italian sentence in French.

This seems to happen to others too. Sometimes I get sentences in a language I don't recognize but which are marked as French or Italian.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:29 pm

Lately, the sentences that are sent to me are always either French or Italian. That's ok, but I get confused now and then. I start with French and don't pay attention, so I rematch the next Italian sentence in French.

This seems to happen to others too. Sometimes I get sentences in a language I don't recognize but which are marked as French or Italian.

Just had one that appeared to be Spanish rather than portuguese

"hago una boca y una nariz"

John661162

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

I've tested Polygloss, it's interesting but there doesn't seem to be many users. I've created matches for French, Turkish, Esperanto and even Toki pona but so far I've found only one very active user for Turkish.

As some mentioned, you cannot filter the language level of your partner, but that's ok because you can still copy the text and translate it, even though, you can learn many interesting things.

It is of course difficult, but that's the goal, to build interesting sentences in your target language with a limited vocabulary and grammar, but you usually really learn a language the hard way.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Ive been using it for a while now after it was recommended here. Ive been doing mainly portugues but have helped some English learners too.

There arent many users and the same people keep coming up but, like here, I feel like Im making friends.

There's and old joke by an old English comedian called"Tony Hancock" about a radio ham having "friends all over the World!. ...none in this country, but lots all over the World".

John661162

MsFixer
Japan

Post by MsFixer »

Hi all,
I've started using Polygloss a couple of weeks ago. As others mentioned, there weren't enough active users. So, I posted an invitation message on Reddit's Indonesian learners' community (my target language). Since then, I got connected with several diligent friends and my learning efficiency was drastically improved.

I also got a reply from the developer here. She kindly shared the dashboard of Polygloss' all users access by target language. You can grasp the trend which languages have higher rates of posting in the last 28 days. The dashboard, run by Google Looker Studio, is a real-time updated tool. If you are a stats lover, check it out!

MsFixer with Pulau Bahasa | Native: 🇯🇵 | Learning: 🇮🇩 (B1)

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Polygloss was one of the apps I tried after the removing of the communicative approach in Duolingo.
I have since uninstalled the app again. I didn't think I could make any progress in learning with it.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

It seems very quiet lately. I must admit I keep forgetting to check it for matches.

Your man (or possibly woman) created a discussion page on Reddit ( I think) and sent out invites but I lost the link so don't know how active that is.

I built up a bit of a pool of "friends" who used the comments/corrections thing to communicate but they all seem to have disappeared.

John661162

Return to “Product Specific Q&A”