Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Happy Canada Day Everyone!!!! Here are some things that might surprise you about Canada.

3rdButterfly
Canada

Happy Canada Day Everyone!!!! Here are some things that might surprise you about Canada.

Post by 3rdButterfly »

I decided that this post would be pretty boring if I just said, "Happy Canada Day!!! So in addition, I shall look at some things that people apparently think are true about Canada and Canadians, and since I'm Canadian, I shall try to confirm if it is or isn't true.
So I'm going to answer "15 Ridiculous Things Americans actually think about Canada," Here's the site link, https://www.slice.ca/15-ridiculous-thin ... -canada-2/

And if you want, comment which ones you already knew, and which ones you were surprised by :D

Also, if you want to ask me questions about Canada, I shall try to answer everything to the extent of my knowledge. I probably won't know everything though.

One. "You say A-boot"

No, this is not true. Maybe there is a couple of Canadians who pronounce "about" like "a-boot", but personally, me and all the people I know do not pronounce it that way.

Two. "Isn't Canada like a State?"

So apparently some people think that Canada is a part of the United States of America... This however, is completely not true. Canada is a different country than U.S.A.

Three. "You're constantly apologizing."

Weeeeeell.... Yeah, this is basically true. We do apologize a lot. My dad was in McDonalds recently and he bumped a guy's elbow accidentally and they both said sorry. And if we were to be told "Stop apologizing all the time, it's so annoying," We would reply, "Oh, sorry," And then would probably say sorry again for saying sorry. But I don't want to convey the wrong message though, we are not nervous wrecks worrying about people hating us. We just like to avoid unnecessary conflict :D

Four. “Why Do You Celebrate the Fourth of July Three Days Early?”

...Umm... We have a national holiday too... it's July 1st... If you're reading this post I would sure hope that you now know that Canada day is July 1st.

Five. “Don’t You Have to Hunt for Food?”

Nope, we have grocery stores, malls, etc...

Six. “Do You Know Gord From Toronto?”

Who? Ok, funny story, one of my sisters went to New Zealand and met another Canadian girl who is the daughter of a lady whom my dad went to high school with. Small world, but I'm pretty sure that everyone has experiences like this, it's not exclusively Canadians.

Seven. “It’s Always Winter and You Live in Igloos, Right?”

No for both questions. It is not always Winter here, in fact, temperatures can reach 40 degrees Celsius, (That's 104 degrees Fahrenheit) And no, we do not live in Igloos. We live in houses.

Eight. “Your Primary Food Source is Moose”

I have never eaten moose before, so this is definitely a no. As far as I remember, I've never even seen a moose.

Nine. “You Put Maple Syrup on EVERYTHING”

No, Maple Syrup is not a condiment used like ketchup on a burger. In my personal experience, it's basically exclusively used for pancakes, waffles, or French toast.

Ten. “You All Speak French”

No. I'm trying to learn French, but not all of us know French. And sometimes the people who know French don't know English. It's an interesting combination. :D

Eleven. “Your Money Looks Like Monopoly Money”

I guess it does look like Monopoly Money... But it's more efficient when you're trying to find the correct amount of money and it's all color coordinated. (Random Fun Fact, Canada doesn't use pennies anymore. Just if anyone was thinking of coming to Canada)

Twelve.“Of Course Mounties Ride Horses!”

Nope, the RCMP (Stands for Royal Canadian Mounted Police) do have RCMP vehicles. (Not horses.) We also just have ordinary Police.

Thirteen. “The Queen is Like Your President, Right?”

Canada is still considered a part of the Commonwealth, but the Queen is not our "President." Currently Justin Trudeau is the Prime Minister (Kind of like a President) of Canada.

Fourteen. “Canada Could Never Beat Us in a War”

Hmm... Well... if you want to know the answer to this, the site explains it better than I could, here's the link. Go to question 14. https://www.slice.ca/15-ridiculous-thin ... -canada-2/

Fifteen. “Don’t You All Play Hockey?”

Heh heh, no. We do not all play Hockey. It's kind of like U.S.A with football. But I'm pretty sure at least more than half the population of Canada has learned how to skate at least once in their lifetime.

Anywho, I hope all of you have a great day!!! :D

Code: Select all

3rdButterfly
IceVajal
Germany

Re: Happy Canada Day Everyone!!!! Here are some things that might surprise you about Canada.

Post by IceVajal »

Thanks for your post! It was fun reading it.

In the mid-80s a friend of mine was touring in the States with his band and someone ask him, if Germans finally got power supply 24/7.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Davey944676
Great Britain

Re: Happy Canada Day Everyone!!!! Here are some things that might surprise you about Canada.

Post by Davey944676 »

A great fun read, thanks!

I had read somewhere (possibly on duolingo) that Canadians say "eh" all the time. As it happens, just recently a bloke from Liverpool, England who has been living in Canada for years (long enought to have a proper Canadian accent with just a slight hint of residual scouse) rang into a local radio station I happened to be listening to.

Sure enough, he ended every other sentence with a random "eh?", whether it was a question or not. Some stereotypes are definitely true, at least sometimes. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

Nice 😊✨
&
Greetings from Egypt 🇪🇬 to Canada 🇨🇦🌷🌹💐

ابتسم دااااائما :D
Always smile ;) :D
🥀🥀

3rdButterfly
Canada

Post by 3rdButterfly »

@Davey944676, Yeah, us Canadians say "eh" a lot. I'm not even going to try to deny it, lol. There is a right way to use it and a wrong way to use it though.

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

[mention]3rdButterfly[/mention] is Canadian money and USA money interchangeable?

3rdButterfly
Canada

Post by 3rdButterfly »

@Upbeat 88, Canadian money and USA money are not at an equal worth. The USA dollar is worth approximately 1.29 Canadian dollar(s). Therefore the USA dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar. So they aren't quite interchangeable... Unless that was not what you were meaning, please feel free to correct me if that is not what you meant, :D

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I believe the mounties once rode horses? And they are still used in certain situations. Canada isn't the only country to use mounted police, other countries use them too.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Happy Canada 🍁 to you !! 😊

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3rdButterfly
Canada

Post by 3rdButterfly »

@Corinnebelle, you are correct, the mounties did use to ride horses. As far as I know though, the RCMP does not use horses operationally any more, the horses are used just for ceremonial purposes.

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

3rdButterfly wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:45 pm

As far as I know though, the RCMP does not use horses operationally any more, the horses are used just for ceremonial purposes.

so not crowd control? I thought that was wut they're usually used for nowadays. Maybe I misread the entire part in the 'Handbook of Tyranny' about crowd control

Last edited by Drymice on Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm as dry as a mouse.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

3rdButterfly
Canada

Post by 3rdButterfly »

@Drymice, good question. I did some research just now because I wanted to make sure I can answer this correctly. So here's what I came up with. The RCMP is just one of the couple mounted police forces in Canada. Currently, the RCMP does not use horses operationally any more, the horses are only used ceremonially. But there are other mounted police forces, such as the Toronto Police Service Mounted Unit, which do still operationally use horses for many things, including crowd control as you said. But they are not the RCMP. Also, as Corinnebelle had said, Canada isn't the only country to have mounted police.

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

3rdButterfly wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:47 am

@Upbeat 88, Canadian money and USA money are not at an equal worth. The USA dollar is worth approximately 1.29 Canadian dollar(s). Therefore the USA dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar. So they aren't quite interchangeable... Unless that was not what you were meaning, please feel free to correct me if that is not what you meant, :D

that's very helpful that's what I meant

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: slight grammatical error
zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

I swear I posted on this! Idk what happened! :sob:

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

Return to “Random Thoughts”