Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Translator Jumble

gmads
Mexico

Re: Translator jumble

Post by gmads »

Hello [mention]MustafaOuz526752[/mention],

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:45 am

Nonetheless, I can't create a fifth block and enter my username. Could someone do that for me please?

This is very, very easy, you just need:

1. to click inside a cell of the table
  2. click on the Table icon on the tool bar
  3. select the option "Insert row", from the menu that will be displayed

A new empty row will be inserted for you to enter your info.

I put down my username and languages (Turkish, English, and French) last night, and Turkish is even listed among no GT languages. They must have been deleted somehow.

As mentioned, anyone can collaborate and edit the page, as if it were a Wiki page. So, once you enter your data in table, you just need to update the two language lists below:

1. if the languages you entered on the table under "Native language" are not already present on the "No Google-Translate languages" list, then add them to this first list
  2. If those languages are already present on the "Only dictionary-allowed languages" list, then delete them from there
  3. finally, if the languages you entered on the table under "Studying language" are not already present on the "Only dictionary-allowed languages" list, then add them from this second list

Cheers!

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Thanks [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] & [mention]Jacko079[/mention] ... let's see if I get it right this time :)

[mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention]
[mention]Davey944676[/mention]
[mention]EranBarLev[/mention]
[mention]Explorer[/mention]
[mention]John238922[/mention]
[mention]MatOzone[/mention]
[mention]Meli578588[/mention]
[mention]Zimozie[/mention]
[mention]zerogrqvity[/mention]

would you like to play?

Meet us and participate at: board.net/p/translator-jumble

Antinomy - Imagination

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

[mention]gmads[/mention] I'm on the list already. I'm not sure how you want to do this though. If I'm not mistaken, everything written in that document can be seen by everyone at once, isn't it? I thought the point was precisely that the participants cannot know what other people have answered till the end of the experiment. Maybe I missed something here :ugeek:

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:10 pm

@gmads I'm on the list already.

Oh, sorry, I missed your name on the table.

I'm not quite sure how you want to do this though. I don't get it

I don't either! :D

I started writing how I imagined it could work, but I haven't finished it, and that is why I have been trying to get everyone to go to the page and participate by writing their ideas and proposals... although I am coming to the conclusion that this endeavour is resulting scary enough for most :cry:

Everything that is written in that document can be seen by everyone at once, isn't it? I thought the point of the game was that the participants don't know what other people have answered till the end of the experiment.

Yes. But that is what still needs to be figured out. I wrote:

How will the next translator and holder of the sentence will be chosen?
--- TO BE CONTINUED... PARTICIPATE ---

I'd say that once the next translator is chosen communication will be via private messages, and once the turn reaches the final translator, everyone then publishes there their own translation... once all translations have been published, then they would be copied and pasted in here for everyone to enjoy.

Antinomy - Imagination

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

I'm sorry, but right now I'm short on time and can't contribute.

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

gmads wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:36 pm

I'd say that once the next translator is chosen communication will be via private messages, and once the turn reaches the final translator, everyone then publishes there their own translation... once all translations have been published, then they would be copied and pasted in here for everyone to enjoy.

Ok, I get it ;)

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

gmads wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:16 pm

Hello @MustafaOuz526752,

Nonetheless, I can't create a fifth block and enter my username. Could someone do that for me please?

I put down my username and languages (Turkish, English, and French) last night, and Turkish is even listed among no GT languages. They must have been deleted somehow.

As mentioned, anyone can collaborate and edit the page, as if it were a Wiki page. So, once you enter your data in table, you just need to update the two language lists below:

1. if the languages you entered on the table under "Native language" are not already present on the "No Google-Translate languages" list, then add them to this first list
  2. If those languages are already present on the "Only dictionary-allowed languages" list, then delete them from there
  3. finally, if the languages you entered on the table under "Studying language" are not already present on the "Only dictionary-allowed languages" list, then add them from this second list

Cheers!

I much appreciate this!

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Ok. I think we have enough participants to start the game and see how it goes.

Given the languages each one knows, is fluent in, or is studying, the process could be as follows:

1. [mention]lama.03[/mention] starts by creating a sentence both in German and in English. The English version will not be shared, it will only be kept so at the end of the round a comparison can be made.
  2. Lama.03 sends [mention]Alivated[/mention] the German sentence by PM (private message).
  3. Alivated translates it into Spanish and sends it to [mention]Explorer[/mention].
  4. Explorer translates it into Portuguese and sends it to [mention]gmads[/mention].
  5. Gmads translates it into English and sends it to [mention]Stasia[/mention].
  6. Stasia translates it into French and sends it to [mention]MustafaOuz526752[/mention].
  7. MustafaOuz526752 translates it into English and sends it to Lama.03.
  8. Lama.03 PMs everyone of the translators to let them know that the round has finished.
  9. Everyone then goes to the board.net/p/translator-jumble page and at the Interactive section writes her/his username along with the sentence she/he received to be translated.
  10. Lama.03 will have to enter in the list twice: one line with the original sentence in English, and the other with the received sentence, also in English.
  11. Whoever completes the list (enters the last line) should reorder the list so it shows the actual flow followed:
    • Lama.03: German (English)
    • Alivated: German -- Spanish
    • Explorer: Spanish -- Portuguese
    • Gmads: Portuguese -- English
    • Stasia: English -- French
    • MustafaOuz526752: French -- English
    • Lama.03: English (German)
  12. And then copies it and pastes it in here so we can all see how much the sentence changed through its translating steps.

Any thoughts or doubts? If not... let the games begin! :)

Antinomy - Imagination

Deleted User 1929

Post by Deleted User 1929 »

[mention]gmads[/mention] thank you so much for the whole planning! 💫
I’ve just sent the sentence to [mention]Alivated[/mention] in German.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

lama.03 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:11 pm

@gmads thank you so much for the whole planning! 💫
I’ve just sent the sentence to @Alivated in German.

You are welcome! Great! :)

Antinomy - Imagination

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Thanks for all your work, [mention]gmads[/mention]! I'll be waiting for my turn. My online presence is somewhat patchy these days, but I do log in at least once per day, so I promise I won't slow down the game too much!

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

gmads wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:11 pm

Ok. I think we have enough participants to start the game and see how it goes.

Any thoughts or doubts? If not... let the games begin! :)

How about starting a new retread for this re-start, or better still separate threads for each sentence.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Stasia wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:10 pm

Thanks for all your work, @gmads! I'll be waiting for my turn. My online presence is somewhat patchy these days, but I do log in at least once per day, so I promise I won't slow down the game too much!

You are more than welcome! Don't worry about that, as long as you participate, this will be fun and interesting :)

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

John238922 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:21 pm

How about starting a new retread for this re-start, or better still separate threads for each sentence.

Yes, a new thread titled "Translator jumble results" could be a good idea!

If the thread gets too long with all our comments regarding the results of each game, or too chaotic, yes, it could be worth having a thread per sentence, otherwise a thread could be used to keep the results of two or three games. Maybe we could decide at the end of each game.

Antinomy - Imagination

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I'm back! Not really here over the weekend....It looks like everything is going well thanks to [mention]gmads[/mention]

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

So looks like we have 2 or more people in the following languages:
Spanish, Arabic, French, German, English

If we have more people for the following languages, that would be handy:
Portuguese, Berber, Quechua, Korean, Polish, Turkish, Italian

Of course all the languages anyone wants to apply for are helpful, as there is more than one way of translating a sentence and there will be also certain colloquialisms for different dialects of languages as well.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I’m going to reread the instructions over to make sure I have the game down.
I will sit out the first round and see how it plays out. If I think I can join and participate, I would like to.
My languages are English , Italian and French.
If

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

こんにちは 皆さん (Kon'nichiwa minasan) — Hello Everyone

Lama.03 has PM'd us that the last translation has been made! Almost everyone has already written the received sentence, therefore, the results will be published here in a short while 8-)

gmads wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:11 pm

And then copies it and pastes it in here so we can all see how much the sentence changed through its translating steps.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Meli578588 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:38 pm

I’m going to reread the instructions over to make sure I have the game down.
I will sit out the first round and see how it plays out. If I think I can join and participate, I would like to.
My languages are English , Italian and French.

If you want to participate you just need to add your name to the table and, depending on your languages, check the "No Google-Translate languages" and "Only dictionary-allowed languages" lists, and update them if necessary. That's it!

gmads wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:16 pm

I can't create a fifth block and enter my username.

3. finally, if the languages you entered on the table under "Studying language" are not already present on the "Only dictionary-allowed languages" list, then add them from to this second list

Cheers!

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Results of the first round of the Translator Jumble game!

Here are both, the starting and ending sentences. I colored where the differences occurred.

• Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
  • Kindness is a language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

And here are the translation steps it went through. After each username is the sentence she/he received.

1. Lama.03 - Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
  2. Alivated - Freundlichkeit ist die Sprache, die Taube hören und Blinde sehen können.
  3. Explorer - La amabilidad es el idioma que los sordos pueden escuchar y los ciegos ver.
  4. Gmads - A amabilidade é a linguagem que os surdos podem ouvir e os cegos podem ver.
  5. Stasia - Kindness is the language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
    MustafaOuz526752 - La gentillesse est une langue que les sourds peuvent entendre et les aveugles peuvent voir.
  6. Lama.03 - Kindness is a language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Well, this one went through without much variation! :D

Antinomy - Imagination

Deleted User 133

Post by Deleted User 133 »

I was taking a moment to check the whole process of this jumble and noticed a few things.
I would like to share them with you guys. If you have anything to add or think I misunderstood something, please comment below. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
SLTLTranslationCommentary
English

German
Freundlichkeit ist die Sprache, die Taube hören und Blinde sehen können.We notice here that the doubled modal verb "can" in the original sentence is combined into one, "können". I don't know if the German grammar forces it that way but this already creates inaccuracy/ambiguity for the following translation process. [mention]lama.03[/mention], what do you think? Also, we notice the absence of the definite article in "und Blinde" (≠ and the Blind).
German

Spanish
La amabilidad es el idioma que los sordos pueden escuchar y los ciegos ver.I translated this one, and since I had no idea that "can" is doubled in the original sentence, I had to work with what I got in the German sentence and keep only one modal verb for accuracy's sake. That is why "y los ciegos pueden ver" does not have a second modal verb (struck through as indicated). I don't know if the way I did it is grammatically correct since my Spanish is still a work in progress, but I feel like it would have sounded more natural if I had added it.
Spanish

Portuguese
A amabilidade é a linguagem que os surdos podem ouvir e os cegos podem ver.Here, surprisingly, the second modal verb is back. Is it because it is required to be there? [mention]Explorer[/mention], you mind to explain?
Portuguese

English
Kindness is the language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see.Thanks to the previous translation, the sentence is back to its original form, except for the relative pronoun "that". And that is fairly passable because both "which" and "that" can be used to refer to objects, and not all languages have the luxury to choose between two or more interchangeable relative pronouns.
English

French
La gentillesse est une langue que les sourds peuvent entendre et les aveugles peuvent voir.The definite article of the word "language" has mystically turned into an indefinite one "une".
French

English
Kindness is a language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see.Consequently, the article of the word "language" is affected in the last stage of the jumble as well.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Can we try an idiom or something? That might be interesting. Either way it is interesting how so many people can be saying the same thing but in a different language with different sounds that the rest of us don't understand. It shows how small we are! Great work everyone!

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Alivated wrote:

Here, surprisingly, the second modal verb is back. Is it because it is required to be there? @Explorer, you mind to explain?

No, it's not strictly necessary but I think it sounds more natural this way.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Alivated wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:19 pm

I was taking a moment to check the whole process of this jumble and noticed a few things.

Wonderful!

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

In this case, it should have been "that" instead of "which"(that vs. which): "Kindness is the language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see."

The standard rule of grammar is that the usage of that vs. which depends upon whether the following clause is restrictive or non-restrictive.

"That" is used to indicate a specific object, item, person, condition, etc., while "which" is used to add information to objects, items, people, situations, etc. Because "which" indicates a non-restrictive (optional) clause, it is usually set off by commas before "which" and at the end of the clause.

German

Spanish
La amabilidad es el idioma que los sordos pueden escuchar y los ciegos ver.I translated this one, and since I had no idea that "can" is doubled in the original sentence, I had to work with what I got in the German sentence and keep only one modal verb for accuracy's sake. That is why "y los ciegos pueden ver" does not have a second modal verb. I don't know if the way I did it is grammatically correct or not because my level in Spanish is not very advanced, but I feel like it would have sounded more natural if I added it.

It is grammatically correct, though a comma should have been added.

• [...] que los sordos pueden escuchar y los ciegos pueden ver
  • [...] que los sordos pueden escuchar y los ciegos, ver

In this case the comma works as an elision that allows the suppression of the verb to avoid repeating it: "yo quiero una cerveza, mi amigo, un tequila."

// For anyone interested, see: rae.es/dpd/coma (section 1.2.5).

Portuguese

English
Kindness is the language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see.Thanks to the previous translation, the sentence is back to its original form, except for the relative pronoun "that". And that is fairly passable because both "which" and "that" can be used to refer to objects, and not all languages have the luxury to choose between two or more interchangeable relative pronouns.

I translated as so:

• a amabilidade (kindness)
  • é a linguagem (is the language)
  • que (that) —the grammatically correct way in this case
  • os surdos (the deaf)
  • podem ouvir (can hear)
  • e (and)
  • os cegos (the blind)
  • podem ver (can see)

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

こんにちは 皆さん

Ready for the second round?

If you haven't but you want to participate, go to: board.net/p/translator-jumble and follow the instructions —basically, add your name to the table and update the two language lists.

If you have participated and do not want to participate, go to the referred page and strike-through your username (e.g. myusername).

If you have participated and want to keep participating, then just wait for the starting signal :D

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Instructions to start participating

If you want to participate for the first time, you just need to add your name to the table at board.net/p/translator-jumble:

1. click inside a cell of the table
  3. select the option "Insert Row Below", from the menu that will be displayed (a new empty row will be inserted for you to enter your info)

Next, depending on your languages, check the "No Google-Translate languages" and "Only dictionary-allowed languages" lists, and update them if necessary:

1. if the languages you entered on the table under "Native language" are not already present on the "No Google-Translate languages" list, then please add them to this first list
  2. if those languages are already present on the "Only dictionary-allowed languages" list, then please delete them from there
  3. finally, if the languages you entered on the table under "Studying language" are not already present on the "Only dictionary-allowed languages" list, then please add them to this second list

Cheers!

Last edited by gmads on Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

gmads wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:49 pm

こんにちは 皆さん

Ready for the second round?

Seems not... :|

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Do we need some more participants to keep this going?

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

It's a fun idea, I'm in.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Return to “Random Thoughts”