Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Translator Jumble

Zimozie
Finland

Re: Translator jumble

Post by Zimozie »

Jacko079 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:43 am

What we have so far…

Original :uk: / :us:
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
To :es:
El rápido zorro marrón salta sobre el perro perezoso.
To :brazil:
A rápida raposa marrom pula por cima do cachorro preguiçoso.
To :ru:
Быстрая коричневая лиса прыгает через ленивую собаку.

Can we possibly get a translation from Russian to German? @gmads and @lama.03?

To :de:
Der flinke braune Fuchs springt über den faulen Hund.
To :ar:
الثعلب البني السريع يقفز فوق الكلب الكسول

Arabic to Czech? @lama.03, @Alivated, @Dana_Dany Danuta?

To 🇨🇿
Rychlá hnědá liška skáče přes líného psa.
To 🇺🇦
Швидка бура лисиця перестрибує ледачого пса.
To 🇵🇱
Szybki brązowy lis przeskakuje nad leniwym psem.

Finnish: Nopea ruskea kettu hyppää laiskan koiran yli(tse).

Hebrew:

השועל החום והמהיר קופץ מעל הכלב העצל.

Is this a quote from something because I found accidentally on reverso English to Hebrew:

השועל החום והזריר קפץ מעל הכלב העצלן.

And its English translation: The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

🇫🇮 native, 🇺🇲 C1-B2, 🇫🇷🇮🇱🇸🇪 B2-B1, 🇪🇸 B1-A2, 🇯🇴🇪🇪🇳🇴A2-A1, 🇷🇺🇺🇦🇬🇷🇨🇳 A1
Duolingo profile: https://duome.eu/zimozie77

Deleted User 1929

Post by Deleted User 1929 »

I’d also like to join with English/German/Arabic when needed.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Zimozie wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:38 pm
: השועל החום והזריר קפץ מעל הכלב העצלן.
+++
השועל החום והזריז קופץ מעל הכלב העצלן.
{The English sentence is in the present tense.}

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

YESSSSSSSSSSS! No one has done Japanese! My turn! I'll do another Language as well, though I don't if Hawaiian has been done!
Japanese: 速い茶色のキツネは怠惰な犬を飛び越えます。
Hawaiian: Lele ka ʻalopeke ʻeleʻele wikiwiki ma luna o ka ʻīlio palaualelo.

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

Jacko079 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:07 am
Explorer wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:06 am
  • Anyone who wants to participate in the translating itself

I think the people who are translating must specify to the MATG which language they are translating from, and which language they are translating that sentence into.

What I'm thinking is the master creates a post, participants comment on what languages they'll be translating into—so that people will know if their language skills qualify to join in—and then the master delivers and receives the translations through direct messages. After enough participants, they share the resultant English translation along with previous translations and the original phrase.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

John238922 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:19 am

Thanks @gmads .

Once we finish with this 'simple declarative sentence' id like to try the process again with a some slightly more abstract words/ideas, and then move on towards something that might be a little ambiguous.

It will be interesting to see how far it moves with just five steps.

I agree completely, the proposed phrase was a very known one, so translations would not diverge at all, or very little.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Alivated wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:43 am

The key factor here is the whispering. We should not let the translators know the original piece of text because, consciously or not, this knowledge will influence the entire process of translation and the intended results will be different.

Let's implement this somehow in the next stage of the experiment.

Exactly! :) If one reads and understands any of the previous translations, yes, it may affect the result.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

This can get real messy, real fast!

So, to avoid overloading and making a complete chaos of this thread, I say that we work on the following real-time collaborative document I just created.

I have written what I think can be a starting point.

Don't be shy and participate. Suggestions are welcome!

Click on the Users icon, and enter your duome username. If you want, you may also define a color to mark your texts.

Last edited by gmads on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I’ll give it a try. 🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

John238922 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:31 am

Just to explain, the sentence @Corinnebelle proposed is a standard typewriter test containing all the letters of the [English] alphabet.

I thought they use that when they test the printer or is it for word processing?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]gmads[/mention] So we need a list of what you can translate from to, to start with?

Please everyone who wants to participate put down your language qualifications in [mention]gmads[/mention] chart. The purpose of this is so that we can have a continuum of translations from one language to another. So it might be English-Italian-French-Spanish-Greek-Arabic-German-Korean-Japanese-English. Then we need a member who knows English and Italian and someone else who know Italian and French and so on.

As [mention]gmads[/mention] says we can start in any language, but I hope I'll be able to read it when it ends in English! Once one game is complete we can reveal all the different steps.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

EranBarLev wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:40 pm
Zimozie wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:38 pm
: השועל החום והזריר קפץ מעל הכלב העצלן.
+++
השועל החום והזריז קופץ מעל הכלב העצלן.
{The English sentence is in the present tense.}

My attempt was:
השועל מהיר קופץ על כלב עצל.

I did use a dictionary.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Alivated[/mention] Can I add you to [mention]gmads[/mention] list? [mention]zerogrqvity[/mention] Are you fluent in Japanese and Hawaiin?

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] Are you fluent in Italian? Any other languages?

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I can do Italian and some French.

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:33 pm

@Alivated Can I add you to @gmads list? @zerogrqvity Are you fluent in Japanese and Hawaiin?

Close in Japanese, and for hawaiian, no sadly! I know some Hawaiian, though I'm fluent in Spanish.

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] I was originally going to do Italian, since it is close to Spanish, but I didn't! Well, if you understand people talking to you in italian, try to be dedicated to be fluent! Sounds like you're pretty darn close to being fluent!

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:04 pm

@gmads So we need a list of what you can translate from to, to start with?

As I wrote in the collaborative page: translator-jumble, my thinking is that we just need participants, the languages they are fluent, choose who will start the round, and... what I left open for proposal... to decide how the handling of the sentence should work.

Please visit the referred page. Add your thoughts there! See the "To be continued" parts. Or if you think that anything of what I proposed could work better, please, go ahead and add your ideas.

So far only two participants have included their info. Why is everyone being so shy about?

Please everyone who wants to participate put down your language qualifications in @gmads chart. The purpose of this is so that we can have a continuum of translations from one language to another. So it might be English-Italian-French-Spanish-Greek-Arabic-German-Korean-Japanese-English. Then we need a member who knows English and Italian and someone else who know Italian and French and so on.

Please, please, everyone that has liked the idea and participated in here... go to the page, read it, enter your info in the table, and add your ideas. It is a collaborative page! Everyone can write in there or edit it.

As @gmads says we can start in any language, but I hope I'll be able to read it when it ends in English! Once one game is complete we can reveal all the different steps.

Ok. We can modify the rule so the starting sentence is always in English.

Yes, once the sentence reaches the MG, all the starting, intermediate and final sentences would be published for us to enjoy.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

We need a large enough group for this to work and be fun. So far only Lama.03, Stasia and myself have entered our data on the Participants table at board.net/p/translator-jumble, but the rest of you:

@Corinnebelle
@Alivated
@Dana_Dany Danuta
@Davey944676
@EranBarLev
@Explorer
@Jacko079
@John238922
@MatOzone
@Meli578588
@MustafaOuz526752
@Zimozie
@zerogrqvity

are still missing!

Some finishing ideas are still needed for the game to start.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]zerogrqvity[/mention] Want to enter for Spanish? I think we can have several people who know the same language. With regionalism and colloquialisms it might get interesting!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]gmads[/mention] My Hebrew isn't good enough to participate as a translator.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]gmads[/mention] In order to mention people in a post you'll need to start typing their username and then select the name from the grey menu, that will notify them you mentioned them. Note this will not work if you edit a previous post. You can only mention people and it will notify them if it is a new post.

Deleted User 133

Post by Deleted User 133 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:33 pm

@Alivated Can I add you to @gmads list?

By all means, please, go ahead. I got busy earlier and didn't have the chance to.

And "'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' is an English-language pangram—a sentence that contains all the letters of the alphabet. The phrase is commonly used for touch-typing practice, testing typewriters and computer keyboards, displaying examples of fonts, and other applications involving text where the use of all letters in the alphabet is desired." Wikipedia.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Alivated[/mention] Done! Feel free to change it, delete it, whatever! Thanks for joining! :)

Deleted User 133

Post by Deleted User 133 »

[mention]gmads[/mention], just to get the terminology right, a person who acts as an organizer, officiant for regarding rules, arbitrator, and moderator for a multiplayer game is referred to as gamemaster; or GM for short. Wikipedia

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Alivated wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:41 pm

@gmads, just to get the terminology right, a person who acts as an organizer, officiant for regarding rules, arbitrator, and moderator for a multiplayer game is referred to as gamemaster; or GM for short. Wikipedia

Oh! LOL Ok...

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

gmads wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:19 pm

We need a large enough group for this to work and be fun. So far only Lama.03, Stasia and myself have entered our data on the Participants table at board.net/p/translator-jumble, but the rest of you:

@Corinnebelle
@Alivated
@Dana_Dany Danuta
@Davey944676
@EranBarLev
@Explorer
@Jacko079
@John238922
@MatOzone
@Meli578588
@MustafaOuz526752
@Zimozie
@zerogrqvity

are still missing!

As we have both [mention]Alivated[/mention] and [mention]lama.03[/mention] who will be doing the Arabic translations, I doubt I’ll be needed.

I’ll watch the game from afar. :)

P.S.
If you want to tag someone so that it sends them a notification, click the @, then start writing their username. A small page will pop up where you can click that username, and it will actually notify that person that you have mentioned them.

i.e. @Jacko079 vs [mention]Jacko079[/mention].

I hope I was able to explain that. :)

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:07 pm
: השועל מהיר קופץ על כלב עצל.
+++
השועל החום המהיר קופץ מעל הכלב העצל.
  • You forgot the word "brown".
  • You need an article before each noun and adjective, because both the fox and the dog are definite in the English sentence.
  • You can use either מהיר or זריז.
  • על = on. מעל = over or above.
  • The word עצל is only used in literature or poetry. עצלן is much more common, but they mean the same.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

gmads wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:19 pm

@Corinnebelle
@Alivated
@Dana_Dany Danuta
@Davey944676
@EranBarLev
@Explorer
@Jacko079
@John238922
@MatOzone
@Meli578588
@MustafaOuz526752
@Zimozie
@zerogrqvity

are still missing!

That's interesting. I put down my username and languages (Turkish, English, and French) last night, and Turkish is even listed among no GT languages. They must have been deleted somehow. Nonetheless, I can't create a fifth block and enter my username. Could someone do that for me please?

Return to “Random Thoughts”