Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Translator Jumble

Stasia
Poland

Re: Translator Jumble

Post by Stasia »

gmads wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:46 pm
MoniqueMaRie wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:38 pm

I cannot find @Alivated any longer as a member??

Wow! True! Alivated: The requested user does not existDeleted User 133.

I've noticed, however, that lama.03 has been absent/silent since round 5 finished: she never published the Arabic translation sent by Alivated... :?

That's odd and confusing...

Could we possibly reroute the game like this:
[mention]Explorer[/mention]: Portuguese > Spanish
[mention]gmads[/mention]: Spanish > Italian

What do you think, [mention]MustafaOuz526752[/mention]?

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Izabela wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:01 pm

Oh, this looks fun and interesting. I hope some point I can join in.

Why at "some point?" Please, join now, the sooner the better! :)

Take a look at the Translator Jumble index page. If you have any doubts, please just let us know ;)

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

gmads wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:11 pm
Izabela wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:01 pm

Oh, this looks fun and interesting. I hope some point I can join in.

Take a look at the Translator Jumble index page. If you have any doubts, please just let us know ;)

Yes, I finally realized that I needed to do more than say something like that and found the post about how I could join by putting my name in. So I've done that, I hope in the correct way.

Just in case there might be any confusion or misapprehensions, on the table I listed English (native) and Esperanto (fluent). I've been studying the interconnected web of Romance languages and I'd rank my knowledge of them as follows: Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Catalan, and Romanian. In Duolingo terms, I'm L25 in Esperanto, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian in the courses using English for the base language. I'm L23 in Spanish from Portuguese and L22 in Catalan from Spanish.

Also, imagination and creativity is very important to me in life and thinking. From what I have learned, oftentimes the translators who translate literary works from one language to another (most usually in the direction from another language they know well into their native language or languages), need creativity to capture original author's intent when using metaphors or similes.

I look forward to when I might get a turn at this. Thank you!

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Izabela wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:27 pm
gmads wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:11 pm

Yes, I finally realized that I needed to do more than say something like that and found the post about how I could join by putting my name in. So I've done that, I hope in the correct way.

Great! I'm so glad you decided to join! You did it perfectly! :)

Just in case there might be any confusion or misapprehensions, on the table I listed English (native) and Esperanto (fluent). I've been studying the interconnected web of Romance languages and I'd rank my knowledge of them as follows: Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Catalan, and Romanian. In Duolingo terms, I'm L25 in Esperanto, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian in the courses using English for the base language. I'm L23 in Spanish from Portuguese and L22 in Catalan from Spanish.

Thanks for the comment. It is going to be great having you with us.

I look forward to when I might get a turn at this. Thank you!

Well, maybe sooner than expected ;)

What do you think [mention]MustafaOuz526752[/mention] ? Since the participant sequence needs to be redone, as neither Alivated nor Lama.03 seem to be around, could you include Izabela?

Antinomy - Imagination

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

gmads wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:26 pm

What do you think MustafaOuz526752 ? Since the participant sequence needs to be redone, as neither Alivated nor Lama.03 seem to be around, could you include Izabela?

Surely! Now, the new line-up is:

[mention]MustafaOuz526752[/mention] : English > French
[mention]vero-bis[/mention] : French > Portuguese
[mention]Explorer[/mention] : Portuguese > German
[mention]Cifi[/mention] : German > English
[mention]Izabela[/mention] : English > Spanish
[mention]gmads[/mention] : Spanish > Italian
[mention]Meli578588[/mention] : Italian > French
[mention]Stasia[/mention] : French > Polish
[mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention] : Polish > Russian
[mention]duome[/mention] : Russian > Italian
[mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention] : Italian > English

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

So it seems it's my turn now. [mention]Explorer[/mention], could you resend your German translation to me?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

[mention]MustafaOuz526752[/mention] So if I understand where things had been hung up, [mention]Cifi[/mention] , is going to translate the German sentence that [mention]Explorer[/mention] had made. And then some point I will receive the translation that Cifi will do and then I'll get try my hands at translating that to Spanish.

Yipes! Better give the Spanish in my head some wakeup by doing some reading in it.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Izabela wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:58 am

@MustafaOuz526752 So if I understand where things had been hung up, @Cifi , is going to translate the German sentence that @Explorer had made. And then some point I will receive the translation that Cifi will do and then I'll get try my hands at translating that to Spanish.

Yipes! Better give the Spanish in my head some wakeup by doing some reading in it.

Hi, Izabela,

Yes, that is right, each line has the username, the language in which s/he receives a sentence, and the language into s/he will translate it. Each player PMs (sends a Private Message) to the next player with the translated sentence.

1. Explorer translates from Portuguese into German, and PMs Cifi.
  2. Cifi translates from German into English, and PMs you.
  3. You translate from English into Spanish, and PM me.
  4. I will then translate from Spanish into Italian, and so forth.

Once the final player receives and translates the sentence, s/he announces it so everyone can then write at the board.net page the sentence s/he received. The idea is to have the whole set of sentences gathered and in order (in sequence) so then they can be copied in here in one step.

You may want to check the last two result pages to see how those rounds went. They are at the index page.

The final idea is to see how much a sentence changes from start to finish :o And to practice our language and translation skills in a fun way :D

Antinomy - Imagination

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

[mention]gmads[/mention]

Thank you for writing that out and confirming pretty much what I had pieced together from yesterday and today. Head's a bit wonky these days and especially so now for me after getting a covid booster shot yesterday. They always provoke a strong response in me.

It'll be good practice for me to try advance my understanding from being able to read towards an understanding where I can more readily write or even speak in the beautiful languages I've spent time on.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Izabela wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:04 pm

@gmads

Thank you for writing that out and confirming pretty much what I had pieced together from yesterday and today. Head's a bit wonky these days and especially so now for me after getting a covid booster shot yesterday. They always provoke a strong response in me.

It'll be good practice for me to try advance my understanding from being able to read towards an understanding where I can more readily write or even speak in the beautiful languages I've spent time on.

You are welcome.

Ugh! Yes, they tend to put us out at least a day. Cheers!!

Speaking... that's the real challenge :D

Antinomy - Imagination

Deleted User 1929

Post by Deleted User 1929 »

Hi everyone,
first of all Alivated and I sincerely apologize for our sudden absence and are glad that you found a way to continue the 5th round.

[mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention] [mention]Explorer[/mention] [mention]Jacko079[/mention] [mention]gmads[/mention] Yes guys you're right, Alivated deleted his account for the moment because he has lots of stuff going on but he's doing good so no need to worry.

We both wish you lots of fun in the next rounds! :D

Ps: Don't forget us, we will come back and join you again :lol:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

lama.03 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:24 pm

[...] but he's doing good so no need to worry.

Truly great to know that! Thank you for logging in to tell us that you are both fine :)

Antinomy - Imagination

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

I've received the translation into English by [mention]Cifi[/mention] and hope to translate it in 2 or 3 days. But need a bit of time to think about the sentence and then try to write something comprehensible in Spanish that captures the feel and meaning of the sentence. Comprehensible with not too egregious of grammatical errors.

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

[mention]gmads[/mention]

I hope I've sent the PM to gmads? What I mean is I hit send, but I don't see anything in the sent box, which means either it's disappeared three times or I've sent it three times. I don't know, but that's why I'm posting here to see if anything did get sent.

ETA: it's been a bit of a day here and I wanted to get this done before the next 2 days that I've got a lot of anxiety about. My head is almost useless enough as is today and will likely be worse tomorrow with the worry.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:32 am
gmads wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:26 pm

What do you think MustafaOuz526752 ? Since the participant sequence needs to be redone, as neither Alivated nor Lama.03 seem to be around, could you include Izabela?

Surely! Now, the new line-up is:

@MustafaOuz526752 : English > French
@vero-bis : French > Portuguese
@Explorer : Portuguese > German
@Cifi : German > English
@Izabela : English > Spanish
@gmads : Spanish > Italian
@Meli578588 : Italian > French
@Stasia : French > Polish
@Dana_Dany Danuta : Polish > Russian
@duome : Russian > Italian
@MoniqueMaRie : Italian > English

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] asked me to change places with her because she won't have time this week. I expect you [mention]gmads[/mention] to be ready before the end of the week. I will than try my best with Italian >French and Meli at the end with Italian>English

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Izabela wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:57 pm

@gmads

I hope I've sent the PM to gmads? What I mean is I hit send, but I don't see anything in the sent box, which means either it's disappeared three times or I've sent it three times. I don't know, but that's why I'm posting here to see if anything did get sent.

The messages that you sent will show in the Outbox first. They move to "Sent" only after the recipient has read them.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

Stasia wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:27 am

@gmads

The messages that you sent will show in the Outbox first. They move to "Sent" only after the recipient has read them.

Both my outbox and sent box are empty, so nothing got sent. I will try again a little later on when I'm fully awake.

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

Maybe I was just too worked up with anxiety last night about stuff that will happen later today and tomorrow, but I was able to send the message and translation to [mention]gmads[/mention] just a little bit ago.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

@gmads

ETA: it's been a bit of a day here and I wanted to get this done before the next 2 days that I've got a lot of anxiety about. My head is almost useless enough as is today and will likely be worse tomorrow with the worry.

Don't worry Izabela, I received your message perfectly fine. Cheers!

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Italian translation just sent to [mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention] :)

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

This is our new sequence:

[mention]gmads[/mention] : Spanish > Italian
[mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention] : Italian > French
[mention]Stasia[/mention] : French > Polish
[mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention] : Polish > Russian
[mention]duome[/mention] : Russian > Italian
??? : Italian > English

We need a new player to do the last translation, from Italian to English.

Antinomy - Imagination

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

gmads wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:36 pm

@MoniqueMaRie : Italian > French

That will be [mention]Meli578588[/mention]. She asked go switch to be at the end.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Stasia wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:47 pm
gmads wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:36 pm

@MoniqueMaRie : Italian > French

That will be @Meli578588. She asked go switch to be at the end.

Great! Thanks!

Antinomy - Imagination

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

For a while on Wednesday, I was very much questioning my decision to join, but having more time to think and having a good bit of the anxiety going on ease to a lower level, for now, I'm glad to be part of this. I spent a good bit of time early in the week listening to Spanish music and am surprised at how much better I'm becoming at understanding the lyrics being sung without too many instances of needing to translate into English or feeling like I'm unable to parse the words.

It's taken me many years to get such passive understanding and I hope that activating that will foster further comprehension, along with expression in languages other than my own native one.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

[mention]Izabela[/mention] Don't worry about perfection. It's not about being perfect. We all make mistakes, don't we? Gosh I keep making a lot of dumb mistakes as if there were no tomorrow. And you know what? I truly feel that I need to make all those mistakes. It's part of the learning process.

Just take this game as an opportunity to learn and have fun. ;)

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, [mention]Stasia[/mention]!

I am waiting for your translation.
I think you forgot to send me :( because in the chat you wrote that you already translated.

Jak się wyśpisz, to proszę prześlij mi to tłumaczenie, bo nie ma sensu wstrzymywać tej wspaniałej zabawy! :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:33 am

Hi, @Stasia!

I am waiting for your translation.
I think you forgot to send me :( because in the chat you wrote that you already translated.

Jak się wyśpisz, to proszę prześlij mi to tłumaczenie, bo nie ma sensu wstrzymywać tej wspaniałej zabawy! :)

Now that is the weirdest thing ever! I did send it - I distinctly remember it being in the outbox and then disappearing from it - and yet I cannot find it in send. Oh well. I wonder if I somehow managed to delete it while it was still in the outbox. And you people trusted me with mod powers???? :lol: :lol: :lol: (I have just sent the second version - not too different from the first version)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

So... is the game still alive :?:

Antinomy - Imagination

duome

Post by duome »

My fault. I have just sent my translation to Meli - is this correct?

Return to “Random Thoughts”