Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Translator Jumble

gmads
Mexico

Re: Translator Jumble

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:31 pm

Here we go. Let's see how much the original sentence changes after going through 11 translations in 9 different languages. ;)

[...]
@Gmads: Spanish to Portuguese

I have just sent you my translation :)

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Thank you [mention]gmads[/mention]

It seems that our Translator Jumble page is currently unavailable due to maintenance or capacity problems.

Anyway, here I post the original sentence and the final sentence. It's impressive how much it has changed. Some parts are completely different, while still keeping the main sense of the original. How interesting! I'm looking forward to see where all those changes have occurred.

Original sentence:

O silêncio é antessala das frases. Sem usar palavras podem se dizer tantas coisas, que às vezes é melhor olhar nos olhos da outra pessoa e ficar calado, deixando que tudo decorra através da magia do silêncio.

Final sentence:

O silêncio é a introdução às palavras. Há muito que pode-se dizer sem uma sola palavra, pelo que às vezes é melhor olhar-se profundamente àos olhos sem falar. Deixa as coisas acontecerem na magia do silêncio.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:33 am

Thank you @gmads

It seems that our Translator Jumble page is currently unavailable due to maintenance or capacity problems.

Yes, it tends to happen every once and then. I just entered the sentence I received in Spanish, and the one I sent you.

Explorer wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:33 am

Anyway, here I post the original sentence and the final sentence. It's impressive how much it has changed. Some parts are completely different, while still keeping the main sense of the original. How interesting! I'm looking forward to see where all those changes have occurred.

Original sentence:

O silêncio é antessala das frases. Sem usar palavras podem se dizer tantas coisas, que às vezes é melhor olhar nos olhos da outra pessoa e ficar calado, deixando que tudo decorra através da magia do silêncio.

Final sentence:

O silêncio é a introdução às palavras. Há muito que pode-se dizer sem uma sola palavra, pelo que às vezes é melhor olhar-se profundamente àos olhos sem falar. Deixa as coisas acontecerem na magia do silêncio.

Surprising! Yes, the original sense is still there, but with very different words: the final version changed quite a bit regarding the words used.

Just don't cry: Looking beyond borders.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Meli578588 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:44 am

We have some Romance writers in here and poets . That’s for sure !

It will be great having each of you being the Sentence Creator. It will be very very enjoyable having a sample of each one's writing 8-)

Antinomy - Imagination

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

gmads wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:07 am

I encourage everyone to do the experiment. When you look into someone's eyes you can connect with him or her in a very special way. The language barriers disappear and the time seems to stop. No matter what your past is, no matter where you come from, no matter what your situation is... There you are. Two human beings in the same place at the same moment. Just existing.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:18 am
gmads wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:07 am

Just existing.

A Zen moment.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Hi, [mention]Explorer[/mention] ,

I wanted to ask you about my translation from Spanish into Portuguese:

• El silencio es la introducción a las palabras. Hay mucho que se puede decir sin una sola palabra, por lo que a veces es mejor mirarse profundamente a los ojos sin hablar. Deja que las cosas pasen en la magia del silencio.

• O silêncio é a introdução às palavras. Há muito que pode-se dizer sem uma sola palavra, pelo que às vezes é melhor se-olhar profundamente àos olhos sem falar. Deixa as coisas acontecerem na magia do silêncio.

Há alguma parte que eu poderia ou deveria ter feito de forma diferente?

Desde já, obrigado.
Gmads

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

[mention]Explorer[/mention] , hi, once again :lol:

If you wrote this text, I was wondering about the following sentence:

• [por] Sem usar palavras podem se dizer tantas coisas, que às vezes é melhor olhar nos olhos da outra pessoa e ficar calado
  • [eng] So many things can be said without using words, that sometimes it is best to look into the other person's eyes and remain silent

After reading it and pondering a little about it, its intention became more or less clear (or at least I think I do): the second clause seems to be trying to reinforce the first one, that is, as silence allows to express so many things, sometimes using it can be as good, or even better, than not using it. However, when I first read this sentence, I got a bit confused by the "que às vezes é melhor" ("that sometimes is best") part because the subordinate clause contradicts —or appears to contradict— the main cause, that is, since silence can lead to expressing so many things, then why would it sometimes be best to use it, as this could lead to confusion? As I said, I had to think it a bit, though I'm still not quite convinced about its meaning :D

Antinomy - Imagination

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

gmads wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:33 pm

Há alguma parte que eu poderia ou deveria ter feito de forma diferente?

Desde já, obrigado.
Gmads

Você já fala português muito bem. Não vejo nenhum erro importante na sua tradução. ;)

I would only change a couple of things:

• se olhar instead of se-olhar. The dash is not necessary before the verb.
  • aos olhos instead of àos olhos. The grave accent is used to differentiate between as and às (a + as). There is no such confusion between os and aos. It seems that in some parts they still prefer to write the accent, although I doubt if that's grammatically correct.
gmads wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:49 pm

After reading it and pondering a little about it, its intention became more or less clear (or at least I think I do): the second clause seems to be trying to reinforce the first one, that is, as silence allows to express so many things, sometimes using it can be as good, or even better, than not using it.

You got it right. I don't know how this type of clauses are called in English. In Portuguese I think they are orações subordinadas consecutivas. We usually communicate through words, but words are not the only way to express our feelings (many things can be said without using words...). Therefore sometimes it is best not to say anything.

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

I had trouble to get the meaning of the first sentence in the translation I received, and ended up translating it literally. Now as we have the development and transformations of the text almost complete, I wondered where the change of antechamber (and closely related words in other languages) to introduction and the one of sentences to words happened. It seems to have been somewhere within the Russian and Polish translation - unfortunately two languages I don't speak.

I now see that I dropped a word in my translation, literally it would have been "todas las cosas" instead of "las cosas".

And I actually considered to start the last sentence (which wasn't even a separate sentence at the beginning) the way Stasia did, with Que ... instead of Deja que ..., but then decided to phrase it more literally again.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Another issue I struggled with was the conjunction "dass" in the German sentence ("Vieles lässt sich ohne ein einziges Wort sagen, dass es manchmal am besten ist, ... "- "A lot can be said without a single word that sometimes it's best ..."). The sentence just didn't seem quite right to me. I would have either said

• So vieles lässt sich ohne ein einziges Wort sagen, dass es manchmal am besten ist, ... (So much can be said without a single word that sometimes it's best ...)

or

• Vieles lässt sich ohne ein einziges Wort sagen, sodass es manchmal am besten ist, ... (A lot can be said without a single word, so sometimes it's best ...)

The first one would have been closer to the original version, but I assumed the latter and translated it like this.

Edit: I added the English translations for those who don't speak German. I think it's quite a similar issue in English.

Last edited by Cifi on Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

Cifi wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:52 am

I had trouble to get the meaning of the first sentence in the translation I received, and ended up translating it literally. Now as we have the development and transformations of the text almost complete, I wondered where the change of antechamber (and closely related words in other languages) to introduction and the one of sentences to words happened. It seems to have been somewhere within the Russian and Polish translation - unfortunately two languages I don't speak.

Interesting enough, Larousse lists "ce qui précède immédiatement, prépare quelque chose" as a secondary meaning for antichambre, that is, "introduction/beginning/establishment". When you think of it, "silence is the antechamber of words" and "silence is the introduction to words" express two contrasting ideas: in the first phrase, silence is a waiting room where words stay and eye contact talks instead (Did I get close, Explorer?); in the second phrase, silence gets words going. It triggers them.

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:08 pm

Interesting enough, Larousse lists "ce qui précède immédiatement, prépare quelque chose" as a secondary meaning for antichambre, that is, "introduction/beginning/establishment". When you think of it, "silence is the antechamber of words" and "silence is the introduction to words" express two contrasting ideas: in the first phrase, silence is a waiting room where words stay and eye contact talks instead (Did I get close, Explorer?); in the second phrase, silence gets words going. It triggers them.

Thanks, [mention]MustafaOuz526752[/mention], I think you expressed it really well. This was what made it hard for me to understand the first sentence. Imagining a waiting room instead I can better connect the rest of the text to this idea.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

[mention]MustafaOuz526752[/mention] You have explained it very well. Sometimes everything flows so naturally that there's no need to say anything at all. Words can wait.

Sorry, this discussion has reminded me of this song :D

duome

Post by duome »

I belive I'm the one responsible for this so I'd like to try and explain it :oops:

I very much feel like in Russian the direct translation would totally ruin an otherwise very poetic sentence, so... it was a hard decision but I felt like I need to find a better concept than "прихожая" (which is the simplest and most direct translation for antessala / l’antichambre / antechamber / l'anticamera ).

"Преддверие" would probably be ok, though it's difficult to tell the nuances - when translated back into english it becomes a plain "vestibule" (which does exist in Russian as a loan-word), and any other replacement like hall/hallway/lobby/entry/vestibule/couloir/corredor - all of this instantly takes you away from the realm of "silence filled with magic" into the ordinary life. Instead, I thought what if I give it a slightly different shade adding a touch of music - through the concept of "prelude" (which in some way is also entry/entrance, yet it's still something a lot more emotional rather than physical)...

That's how it happened :D

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hello, [mention]duome[/mention]!

I completely agree with you because this poetic phrase sounds very nice!

Honestly, I didn't hear the saying with "przedsionkiem" :(

And I did not write "preludium", but "wstępem", because "wstęp" is different (preludium, prolog).

"Cisza jest wstępem do słów" - this saying is more popular with us. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Translator Jumble game. Fifth round. Results.

After each username is the sentence s/he received.

1. vero-bis – O silêncio é antessala das frases. Sem usar palavras podem se dizer tantas coisas, que às vezes é melhor olhar nos olhos da outra pessoa e ficar calado, deixando que tudo decorra através da magia do silêncio.

2. MustafaOuz – Le silence est l’antichambre des phrases. Sans utiliser de mots, on peut dire tant de choses, que parfois, il vaut mieux regarder l’autre personne dans les yeux et rester silencieux, en laissant tout se faire par la magie du silence.

3. MoniqueMaRie – Silence is the antechamber of phrases. Without using any words, you can say so many things that sometimes, it is better to look other people in the eyes and stay silent, letting everything be done by the magic of silence.

4. Meli – Le silence est l'antichambre des phrases.
    Sans utiliser aucun mot tu peux dire tellement de choses que parfois, il est mieux de regarder droit dans les yeux des autres personnes et de rester tranquille, laisser tout se faire par la magie du silence.

5. Duome – Il silenzio è l'anticamera delle frasi. Senza usare nessuna parola puoi dire così tante cose che a volte è meglio guardare dritto negli occhi delle altre persone e stare fermi. Lascia che tutto accada con la magia del silenzio.

6. Dana_Dany Danuta – Тишина - это прелюдия к словам. Не произнеся ни слова можно сказать так много, что иногда лучше смотреть прямо в глаза другому человеку и оставаться неподвижным. Позволить всему случиться в волшебстве тишины.

7. Stasia – Cisza jest wstępem do słów. Tak wiele można powiedzieć bez słowa, że ​​czasami lepiej spojrzeć drugiej osobie prosto w oczy i pozostać w bezruchu. Niech wszystko wydarzy się w magii ciszy.

8. Alivated – El silencio es una introducción a las palabras. Se puede decir tanto sin ni una palabra, que a veces es mejor mirarle directamente en los ojos de la otra persona y quedarse en quietud. Que todo pase en la magia del silencio.

9. Lama –

10. Cifi – Schweigen ist die Einführung in die Worte. Vieles lässt sich ohne ein einziges Wort sagen, dass es manchmal am besten ist, dem anderen direkt in die Augen zu schauen und zu schweigen. Lass alle Dinge in der Magie der Stille stattfinden.

11. Gmads – El silencio es la introducción a las palabras. Hay mucho que se puede decir sin una sola palabra, por lo que a veces es mejor mirarse profundamente a los ojos sin hablar. Deja que las cosas pasen en la magia del silencio.

12. Explorer – O silêncio é a introdução às palavras. Há muito que pode-se dizer sem uma sola palavra, pelo que às vezes é melhor se-olhar profundamente àos olhos sem falar. Deixa as coisas acontecerem na magia do silêncio.

So, this is how the original and the final sentences look:

• O silêncio é antessala das frases. Sem usar palavras podem se dizer tantas coisas, que às vezes é melhor olhar nos olhos da outra pessoa e ficar calado, deixando que tudo decorra através da magia do silêncio.

• O silêncio é a introdução às palavras. Há muito que pode-se dizer sem uma sola palavra, pelo que às vezes é melhor se-olhar profundamente àos olhos sem falar. Deixa as coisas acontecerem na magia do silêncio.

Last edited by gmads on Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Translator Jumble index page

Instructions to start participating
Translator Jumble page
Table of players/languages

• round 01, results —Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

• round 02, results —Come! Your presence will either give me life or kill me with pleasure.

• round 03, results —One should not sell the bear skin before killing him.

• round 04, results —The artist entered the cafe and went to his usual table [...]

• round 05, results —O silêncio é antessala das frases. Sem usar palavras [...]

• round 06, 06a, results —The rain was falling heavily. Woe betide anyone on the road [...]

Last edited by gmads on Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Antinomy - Imagination

MustafaOuz526752

Here we start the fifth round!

[mention]MustafaOuz526752[/mention]: English > French
[mention]vero-bis[/mention]: French > Portuguese
[mention]Explorer[/mention]: Portuguese > German
[mention]lama.03[/mention]: German > Arabic
[mention]Alivated[/mention]: Arabic > Spanish
[mention]gmads[/mention]: Spanish > Italian
[mention]Meli578588[/mention]: Italian > French
[mention]Stasia[/mention]: French > Polish
[mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention]: Polish > Russian
[mention]duome[/mention]: Russian > Italian
[mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention]: Italian > German
[mention]Cifi[/mention]: German > English

Unfortunately, we don't have enough participants with confident skills in Japanese or Chinese :(

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Oh, my turn will be quite at the end. Could be interesting. This time I will translate into my mother tongue. I hope it won't tempt me to get too creative.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:06 pm

Here we start the fifth round!

Unfortunately, we don't have enough participants with confident skills in Japanese or Chinese :(

Wow! Great! This is getting legs! 8-)

Antinomy - Imagination

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Where are we with round 5?

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:01 pm

Where are we with round 5?

Being the fifth in line, I have been wondering the same... :D

Antinomy - Imagination

MustafaOuz526752

gmads wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:22 pm

Being the fifth in line, I have been wondering the same... :D

And I was thinking it had already gotten past you... Guys, are we doing alright? :D

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

I sent my sentence in German to [mention]lama.03[/mention] on October 23rd. Perhaps my translation was so bad that she wasn't able to understand a single word :oops:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I cannot find @Alivated any longer as a member??

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:58 pm

I sent my sentence in German to @lama.03 on October 23rd. Perhaps my translation was so bad that she wasn't able to understand a single word :oops:

I would sincerely doubt that! :lol:

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:38 pm

I cannot find @Alivated any longer as a member??

Wow! True! Alivated: The requested user does not existDeleted User 133.

I've noticed, however, that lama.03 has been absent/silent since round 5 finished: she never published the Arabic translation sent by Alivated... :?

Antinomy - Imagination

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

Oh, this looks fun and interesting. I hope some point I can join in.

Return to “Random Thoughts”