Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Translator Jumble

gmads
Mexico

Re: Translator Jumble

Post by gmads »

Cifi wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:34 am

I wonder where the table is coming from that is in the English translation 2::, and the subject change in 1::

I'll have to give it a closer look with help of translators.

I'd say the first one, "table," was just a mistake... sometimes one gets out of sync between what one is thinking and what one is writing.

I don't know French, but maybe the change of subject came from some ambiguity in the phrase: "qui est venue le servir lui a donné l’impression d’être au soleil." Who was under the sun? As the narrator is describing the point of view of the artist, then the one having that impression was the artist himself.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:02 am
  1. Which was your first impression of the sentence you received?
    When I received the German sentence number 2, I had the impression of a description at the beginning of a crime novel. But maybe that's because I read so many of them.

Yes! I was trying to give it une touche romanesque :) But yes, it could be the intro to a crime novel.

1. Which was the most complicated (scariest :lol: ) part to understand/translate?
    In Italian I still have great difficulties with the tenses and sequences of tenses. I then try to lean on French, which is often more successful than German or English.

Yes, tenses do get complicated with romance languages.

1. In a scale from 1 to 10, how difficult would you say this challenge was?
    Middle - 5/6

Well, enough to make interesting but not scary, hehe.

1. In a scale from 1 to 10, how much fun would you say this round was?
    it was my first round - a lot of fun : is 1 best or 10?

10 would be the highest, the most fun.

1. Did you learn any new words or concepts in doing this translation?
    tenses and sequences of tenses for Italian; and I still have to look up a lot of vocabulary

Great! The round fulfilled its purpose, learning and having fun :)

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:09 pm
  • First impression: @MoniqueMaRie described it pretty well. I had the impression of being reading a "Krimi".

Getting the feel of a thriller made it more exciting! Hopefully! :lol:

• The scariest part was the concatenation of subordinate clauses. I was also quite unsure about the use of the Präteritum tense. It is often used in the literary style, but it's not that common in the spoken language. I had the feeling I was going to mess it up, since I'm not used to speak this way.

Does German have as many past tenses as Spanish?

• Difficulty: compared to previous rounds I'd say it was an 8.

• How much fun: 9

• I've learned I need to read more Krimis :D

Excellent! Mission accomplished!

May I propose the sentence for the next round?

Certainly! That is the idea: that everyone participates. You may want to also define the translation paths, now that we have more players 8-)

Antinomy - Imagination

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

gmads ,

I was wondering if that was your “own” sentence. Now that I know , I will say:

I like your style of writing.

Wasn’t sure if you got it from a book or online.

You saw a photo and came up with it.
~ creative ~ 🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Cifi wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:04 pm

My first impression: that's quite long for one single sentence. This got even stronger after translating it into German. If I had written this in an essay at school, my teacher would probably have said I had better split it into two at least.

Hopefully [mention]Explorer[/mention] will follow his teacher's advice! :lol:

Difficulty: 9

Fun: at least 8 and still lasting :D

Wow! You scored the difficulty criteria almost the same as @Explorer. It will be interesting to see the point of view of [mention]vero-bis[/mention] and [mention]Stasia[/mention]. I imagine that @vero-bis will grade it relatively low.

Scariest (or most difficult): Some of the words didn't seem to go well together using their standard translation. E.g. I disked "schwach beleuchtete Atmosphäre", so I changed made it a "schwach beleuchteter Raum".

In English I used the word "atmosphere" but in Spanish I used "ambiente." Both are definitely weather related, however, from my point of view the words I used felt as the best option to convey the idea of how the place felt. Now that I'm writing this, I realize that in English I should have used "ambience" instead... :ugeek:

And his exclamation at the end, I still don't fully understand it, nor did I find examples for "What a bearing" (now that I know the English version) on Reverso context.

Speaking of someone's look, "porte" refers to the presence or appearance, along with the behaviour or the manner of conduct of a person. It usually implies some kind of elegance or nobility.

The notion of bearing can be used in different ways. The term may be used with reference to an individual's appearance, aesthetics, or posture. For example:

• Siempre fue una mujer elegante y de buen porte → She was always an elegant and good-looking woman
  • Es un modelo muy famoso pero no tiene porte → He is a very famous model but he has no poise
  • Esta cantante tiene un porte inmejorable → This singer has an unbeatable poise

My first choice in English was "demeanor," but then I found out that the word "bearing" had a similar meaning. After comparing them I opted for the later.

Last edited by gmads on Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Cifi wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:15 pm

Spanish la apariencia [...] de la joven [...] la hacía lucir como si estuviera bajo el sol: there's ambiguity with the verb estuviera, but we still have la hacía lucir which clarifies that it's her.

What do you think, especially native speakers of Spanish and French?

Yes, the pronoun "la" definitely clarifies the meaning. The pronoun is unavoidable. But even so, I would say that the verb "lucir" ("to shine") helps to indicate that it was she who shone under the sun, not him. To put him as the affected one, I think I would then have used the verb "sentir" ("to feel").

Antinomy - Imagination

vero-bis
France

Post by vero-bis »

Cifi wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:34 am

I wonder where the table is coming from that is in the English translation 2::, and the subject change in 1::

I'll have to give it a closer look with help of translators.

The changing subject comes from a mistale in my translation. I should have written "l'impression qu'elle était au soleil" and not "d'être au soleil".

Véro
B2 : 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 / B1 : 🇧🇷 / A2 : 🇩🇪

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Meli578588 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:33 pm

@gmads ,

I was wondering if that was your “own” sentence. Now that I know , I will say:

I like your style of writing.

Wasn’t sure if you got it from a book or online.

You saw a photo and came up with it.
~ creative ~ 🙂

Yes, I was quite impressed by Doré's drawing (I hadn't seen it before): I just loved it, and it actually made me think, "¡Qué porte, el de la señorita!" To me, the drawing more than agreed with the description given by Gómez de la Serna, highlighting the dignity of the Valencian women who served horchata in Madrid:

The horchatera was a kind of dignified Valencian, who hardly understood jokes, although she did understand kindness, insinuations, concern because the client […] I did not get to know those horchateras that Doré saw, dressed in a regional costume, with long earrings filigree, a flower in their hair. They were graceful, clean, with white shoes, white stockings and white percale gown, printed with flowers and scalloped with…

The original in Spanish:

La horchatera era un tipo de valenciana digna, que casi no entendía de bromas, aunque sí de amabilidades, de insinuaciones, de preocupación porque el cliente… Uno no conoció a esas horchateras que vió Doré, vestidas con un traje regional, con largos pendientes de filigrana, una flor en el pelo. Eran garridas, limpias, de zapato blanco, media blanca y bata de percal blanco, estampada de flores y festoneada con…

When I started to think about the fourth round I definitely wanted to use that phrase —instead of searching for a proverb—, so I changed the setting: from an "horchatería" (a place where "horchata" is sold) to a café (I imagined a French café), and added a bit of an ambience ;)

Thanks! :)

Last edited by gmads on Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antinomy - Imagination

vero-bis
France

Post by vero-bis »

gmads wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:21 pm

Wow! You scored the difficulty criteria almost the same as @Explorer. It will be interesting to see the point of view of @vero-bis and @Stasia. I imagine that @vero-bis will grade it relatively low.

No, no, no!! What a strange idea [mention]gmads[/mention] !

1 - First impression : wow !
2 - The most complicate part is the length of the sentence. I hadn't understood WHAT made her look as if she were under the sun, and my translation was not good. The opposition between "dimly lit", "cold and regan" and "under the sun" completely puzzled me.
3 - 8. It is really difficult to translate. In French, it gives a heavy sentence which would need more punctuation.
4 - How much fun : 9-10
5 - Yes I learned "qué porte el de la señorita" as well as "what a bearing of the maiden".

Véro
B2 : 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 / B1 : 🇧🇷 / A2 : 🇩🇪

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

vero-bis wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:37 pm
gmads wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:21 pm

I imagine that @vero-bis will grade it relatively low.

No, no, no!! What a strange idea @gmads !

😂😂😂 Well, since both French and Spanish are related... it didn't seem too far fetched to imagine that :P

2 - The most complicate part is the length of the sentence. I hadn't understood WHAT made her look as if she were under the sun, and my translation was not good. The opposition between "dimly lit", "cold and regan" and "under the sun" completely puzzled me.

My mind is a labyrinthine chaos :lol:

1 - First impression : wow !
3 - 8. It is really difficult to translate. In French, it gives a heavy sentence which would need more punctuation.
4 - How much fun : 9-10
5 - Yes I learned "qué porte el de la señorita" as well as "what a bearing of the maiden".

I makes me happy to know it was an enjoyable challenge.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

gmads wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:00 pm
  • The scariest part was the concatenation of subordinate clauses. I was also quite unsure about the use of the Präteritum tense. It is often used in the literary style, but it's not that common in the spoken language. I had the feeling I was going to mess it up, since I'm not used to speak this way.

Does German have as many past tenses as Spanish?

http://germanforenglishspeakers.com/ver ... preterite/

Spoken German...

In practice, Germans use the Perfekt for about 90% of speech; they only use the Präteritum in speech for the auxiliary and modal verbs and a few very common strong or mixed verbs. Overusing the Präteritum in speech will make you sound like a snob or a robot, depending on the context.

Written German...

The Präteritum is most favored in novels, history and other literary/academic writing.

I also found out that German has three past tenses: preterite, perfect, and past perfect.

Antinomy - Imagination

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

[mention]gmads[/mention] I think we are really lucky to be native Spanish speakers. For many students, learning our verbal system is a living hell.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:46 pm

@gmads I think we are really lucky to be native Spanish speakers. For many students, learning our verbal system is a living hell.

Indeed! :D Although I would have liked being a native Russian speaker, it seens to be more complex than Spanish :!:

Antinomy - Imagination

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

gmads wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:09 pm
Explorer wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:46 pm

@gmads I think we are really lucky to be native Spanish speakers. For many students, learning our verbal system is a living hell.

Indeed! :D Although I would have liked being a native Russian speaker, it seens to be more complex than Spanish :!:

In your opinion, what makes Russian verbs so difficult? I've always thought the most complex part of this language was the declensions.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:14 pm
gmads wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:09 pm

I would have liked being a native Russian speaker, it seems to be more complex than Spanish

In your opinion, what makes Russian verbs so difficult? I've always thought the most complex part of this language was the declensions.

Fortunately, I was already familiar with the Cyrillic alphabet, so my first challenge had to do with phonetics, which involved dealing with around three different levels of complexity. The first one was that of regular vowels (with the hard sound): it seemed quite strange to me to hear the same vowel pronounced in so many different ways. I had to spend a lot of time reading and watching YT videos about the "rules" governing their sound, which finally turned out to be rather useless because the "initial rule", the one that would allow one to know where to stress a word... is non-existent, thus, just as in English, one has to learn how to pronounce each word :(

The classic example: milk → молоко. How does one pronounce it? It is a guessing game until one learns that the last "o" is the stressed one: молоко́, and so the word is pronounced: [məɫɐˈko] :o

The next level had to do with soft and hard sounds (and symbols), while the third one was about exceptions. The sad thing about all this is that one cannot actually read a word until one learns it :cry:

Of course, one thing is knowing how to pronounce a word and other actually pronouncing it... my mouth and tongue will have to achieve a Nadia Comaneci level before I am able to follow a simple song :lol:

I am just a beginner, around level -1, but from what little I have read, the declension system is going to be anything but a walk in a park: I've read that it's even more difficult than the German one. I am actually considering waiting until Elon Musk's Neuralink brain chip is ready 8-)

I don't know if I will ever be able to speak Russian, but I have loved this language since the first time I heard it, a few millennia ago. Sometimes when I am doing my Duolingo lesson I may listen to a small simple phrase, and it just makes me smile! :)

Antinomy - Imagination

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

How imaginative of you to come up with such a story just by looking at a picture, [mention]gmads[/mention]!

1- It came off to me as a passage from a pulp-noir book. I have not read any before; I think I will dive in some when I am done with my current book :D

2- It was the "quelle allure a cette jeune femme !" part. I looked for more idiomatic expressions (such as "what a charm/beauty/allure this young lady has!" and even thought of "how hot this young lady is!" to cross-reference the impression the artist gets :D ), but ultimately decided to keep faithful to the original and came up with the literal translation "what a look this young lady has!".
Another challenge was conveying dependent clauses. "The artist entered the cafe and headed for his usual table, and, although the atmosphere was saturated with cigarette smoke and faintly enlightened, the a-bit-cold-and-princessly appearance of the young woman who came to serve him gave him the impression that he was in the sun, consequently, he could not help exclaiming, "what a look this young woman has!" is such a mess. So I cut off some with the use of periods and turned them into independent clauses for an easy and enjoyable read.

3- It is the hardest the challenge has gotten so far, but I would give it a 5.

4- It is a solid 10 by me.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:10 pm

How imaginative of you to come up with such a story just by looking at a picture, @gmads!

1- It came off to me as a passage from a pulp-noir book. I have not read any before; I think I will dive in some when I am done with my current book :D

Yes, it seems everyone got more or less the same feeling.

2- It was the "quelle allure a cette jeune femme !" part. I looked for more idiomatic expressions (such as "what a charm/beauty/allure this young lady has!" and even thought of "how hot this young lady is!" to cross-reference the impression the artist gets :D ), but ultimately decided to keep faithful to the original and came up with the literal translation "what a look this young lady has!".

I think that having kept the word "allure" would have been great as its meaning ("the quality of being powerfully and mysteriously attractive or fascinating") is not that far from what I intended to say with "bearing."

I think the chosen words —bearing/porte— were an interesting vocabulary choice because they are not ordinary words, but they are also not so rare that one would never use them. I originally didn't know that "bearing" also meant "a person's way of standing or moving," I only knew the "a part of a machine that bears friction" meaning. While writing an answer I also recalled the word "ambience," which I had forgotten and that maybe would have been a better choice.

Another challenge was conveying dependent clauses. "The artist entered the cafe and headed for his usual table, and, although the atmosphere was saturated with cigarette smoke and faintly enlightened, the a-bit-cold-and-princessly appearance of the young woman who came to serve him gave him the impression that he was in the sun, consequently, he could not help exclaiming, "what a look this young woman has!" is such a mess. So I cut off some with the use of periods and turned them into independent clauses for an easy and enjoyable read.

Yes, it was a long sentence :lol: :lol: However, both of them —in Spanish and in English— didn't seem that long when I wrote them. In my mind, I was just describing the setting in a narrative way, and it felt fluid, thus, to have it cut into smaller sentences would have made me feel I had a choppy and scratchy idea :?

3- It is the hardest the challenge has gotten so far, but I would give it a 5.

4- It is a solid 10 by me.

Great! Good to know! :)

Antinomy - Imagination

MustafaOuz526752

gmads wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:13 pm

Yes, it was a long sentence :lol: :lol: However, both of them —in Spanish and in English— didn't seem that long when I wrote them. In my mind, I was just describing the setting in a narrative way, and it felt fluid, thus, to have it cut into smaller sentences would have made me feel I had a choppy and scratchy idea :?

Oh yes, the original text is quite fluid. When it goes across the French translation, however, it receives 3 additional commas, which makes it bumpy, if you will :D

By the way, could I take my turn after Explorer?

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:31 pm

Yes, you can. I was leaving some more time for others to comment on Gmads' sentence. I will send mine tomorrow evening (GMT+1).

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:31 pm

Of course! Great! Revenge time? :lol: ;)

Antinomy - Imagination

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Here we go. Let's see how much the original sentence changes after going through 11 translations in 9 different languages. ;)

[mention]Explorer[/mention]: original sentence
[mention]vero-bis[/mention]: Portuguese to French
[mention]MustafaOuz526752[/mention]: French to English
[mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention]: English to French
[mention]Meli578588[/mention] : French to Italian
[mention]Duome[/mention]: Italian to Russian
[mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention]: Russian to Polish
[mention]Stasia[/mention]: Polish to Spanish
[mention]Alivated[/mention]: Spanish to Arabic
[mention]Lama.03[/mention]: Arabic to German
[mention]Cifi[/mention]: German to Spanish
[mention]Gmads[/mention]: Spanish to Portuguese

P.D. I'm sorry there's no Chinese or Japanese yet. Unfortunately we don't have enough participants who know both languages well enough.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

agree with Monique. It felt like a crime novel or a classic old movie , maybe with Humphrey Bogart and a blonde dame with sunlight bouncing off her hair in the cloudy, smoked , dim lit room.

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Meli578588 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:49 am

I agree with Monique. It felt like a crime novel or a classic old movie , maybe with Humphrey Bogart and a blonde dame with sunlight bouncing off her hair in the cloudy, smoked , dim lit room.

Lovely! :)

This challenge was my first and a lot of fun 10.

Difficulty. I got a little spooked myself when I saw the big paragraph.

New words : Didn’t know a few Italian words Regal and somewhat to start.

Also , I am relearning some Italian so it’s easier for me to hear it than write it. I am not fluent in writing. 🙂

Eccellentissimo!

Luckily gmads didn’t go absolutely crazy and give is extremely hard words. Just a few.
😊

:P :lol:

Antinomy - Imagination

MustafaOuz526752

gmads wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:07 pm

Of course! Great! Revenge time? :lol: ;)

We will see ;)

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Explorer

Am I sending my Italian translation to @duome

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Meli578588 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:59 pm

@Explorer

Am I sending my Italian translation to @duome ?

Explorer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:31 pm

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] : French to Italian
[mention]Duome[/mention]: Italian to Russian

I'd say that seems to be the case :D

Meli578588 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:59 pm

Great , if I mess this up , I will show up tomorrow in a hat 👒 and glasses 👓! 😄

:lol:

Antinomy - Imagination

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

gmads wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:07 am
  1. Which was your first impression of the sentence you received?

2. Which was the most complicated (scariest :lol: ) part to understand/translate?

3. In a scale from 1 to 10, how difficult would you say this challenge was?

4. In a scale from 1 to 10, how much fun would you say this round was?

5. Did you learn any new words or concepts in doing this translation?

Late to the party again... but I'm on the lookout for the next round! 8-)

1. What a byzantine sentence... very long but well written - I was 100% sure it's a quote from a novel. You should be a writer, [mention]gmads[/mention]!

2. I wondered how to translate "ambiente," I wrote down "atmosfera" and "nastrój" and somehow they didn't have the right ring to it in the context of the sentence, so I went with a South American meaning of the word "ambiente" = "room, place." Then when I got to "appearance," the most logical word for it in Polish is "wygląd," but that was too close to "wyglądała" (seem) in the later part of the sentence, so I went with "postawa" instead.

3. Around 6. Definitely harder than the previous rounds!

4. 10 :)

5. I was not familiar with the "que porte" expression, and I decided on a translation that really doesn't translate well outside of Slavic languages. :lol: "Piękna panienka" would be "beautiful maiden," "najpiękniejsza panienka" would be "the most beautiful maiden," but "przepiękna panienka"... sorry, no good options here ("very beautiful maiden," maybe). I really didn't make it easy for [mention]duome[/mention].

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, I declare "wszem wobec" that I have sent my Polish translation to [mention]Stasia[/mention]. :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:24 pm

Hi, I declare "wszem wobec" that I have sent my Polish translation to @Stasia. :)

:D And I did my duties, so I did not stop the traffic by not logging onto the forum for too long. 8-)

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

[mention]Stasia[/mention],

Muszę przyznać, że tym razem spisałaś się na "piątkę z plusem", a może i na "szóstkę", bo poszło Ci to bardzo, bardzo szybko! 😊

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Return to “Random Thoughts”