Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Translator Jumble

gmads
Mexico

Re: Translator Jumble

Post by gmads »

John238922 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:03 am
gmads wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:48 pm

[...] One should not sell the bear skin before killing him.
[...] Don't sell the skin till you have caught the bear.
[...] Do not count the chickens before they emerge from the egg.

Sadly nobody proposed

Its not over until the fat lady sings.

There aren't any baseball fans in here :D

Last edited by gmads on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I am ! I love baseball ⚾️:)

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Meli578588 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:31 am

You see! We need you to participate! ;)

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Translator Jumble game. Thirds round. Results.

After each username is the sentence she/he received.

1. Stasia - One should not sell the bear skin before killing him.
  2. MustafaOuz526752 - Il ne faut pas vendre la peau de l'ours avant de l'avoir tué.
  3. Cifi - Don't sell the skin till you have caught the bear.
  4. Alivated - No cuentes los pollos antes de que nazcan.
  5. Lama.03 - لا تعدّ الدجاج قبل أن يفقس.
  6. Explorer - Zähle keine Hühner bevor sie geschlüpft sind.
  7. Gmads - No cuentes los pollos antes de que salgan del huevo.
  8. Stasia - Do not count the chickens before they emerge from the egg.

Sadly nobody proposed

How did a bear become a chicken? Or did people just go with the idiom in their language?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Gmads, I will give it a go ! 🙂🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
duome

Post by duome »

I would love Meli to join with Italian and I could help adding Russian into the mix. The idiom for chickens is "цыплят по осени считают" (contare i polli in autunno), and with the bear it would be "делить шкуру неубитого медведя" (condividere la pelle di un orso non ucciso).

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:00 am

How did a bear become a chicken? Or did people just go with the idiom in their language?

I am guilty of making the bear a chicken (I have to remember that spell in case a bear should attack me ;)).

I tried to explain my reasons here: .viewtopic.php?p=23582-translator-jumble#p23582

It looks like many languages have both proverbs (and some may have others with the same meaning), and I tried to find out what is the most common saying.

Last edited by Cifi on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

gmads wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:25 am

[...] Don't count the chickens before they have hatched.

Sadly nobody proposed

There aren't any beisball fans in here :D

Meli578588 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:31 am

Ok Meli, what field of endeavour does the saying about the fat lady refer to?

Did you get the connection to baseball?

Quick poll

Who gets the connection to baseball?

Who doesn't?

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

John238922 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:29 am

Quick poll

Who gets the connection to baseball?

Who doesn't?

I didn't know it. This explanation was helpful: https://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ita1.htm

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

It’s not over until the fat lady sings !

Take me out to the ball game !

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

duome wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:05 am

I would love Meli to join with Italian and I could help adding Russian into the mix. The idiom for chickens is "цыплят по осени считают" (contare i polli in autunno), and with the bear it would be "делить шкуру неубитого медведя" (condividere la pelle di un orso non ucciso).

Also... non dire gatto se non ce l'hai nel sacco :D

Antinomy - Imagination

duome

Post by duome »

This brings another idiom to mind: "не говори гоп, пока не перепрыгнешь" - "nie mów hop, póki nie przeskoczysz" - "don't say hop until you jump over" =)

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, and I reminded myself about these idioms. :D

Polish idioms in Polish language.

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Geeze , hope I don’t make a mistake delivering to duome or I’ll be wearing a hat 👒 and sunglasses 🕶 tomorrow.
🙂🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Are we ready for another round? If [mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention], [mention]Meli578588[/mention], and [mention]duome[/mention] are willing to participate, maybe we can add more languages into the mix? :)

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Stasia wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:13 pm

Are we ready for another round? If @Dana_Dany Danuta, @Meli578588, and @duome are willing to participate, maybe we can add more languages into the mix? :)

Yes we are :!:

They just need to check the Instructions to start participating and enter their data at board.net/p/translator-jumble so we may start.

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Cifi wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:01 am

I am guilty of making the bear a chicken (I have to remember that spell in case a bear should attack me ;)).

I tried to explain my reasons here: .viewtopic.php?p=23582-translator-jumble#p23582

It looks like many languages have both proverbs (and some may have others with the same meaning), and I tried to find out what is the most common saying.

Then you are not the one who changed it. Simply the one bearing of the news that some people use the same saying but with a bear versus a chicken. Why someone would have the same saying with a scrawny little chicken versus a great big bear, I don't know.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:14 pm
Cifi wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:01 am

Then you are not the one who changed it. Simply the one bearer of the news that some people use the same saying but with a bear versus a chicken. Why someone would have the same saying with a scrawny little chicken versus a great big bear, I don't know.

But its not the same saying.

It's figurative language.

The two sayings have roughly the same meaning, but could have different nuances. For example, skinning the bear suggests a difficult or dangerous task to achieve a result, while just waiting for eggs to hatch is more passive.

There's also the cookbook recipe for jugged hare:

First, catch your hare.

Last edited by John238922 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

John238922 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:26 pm

The two sayings have roughly the same meaning, but could have different nuances.

That is the eternal problem of translators, and there is really no good answer to this.

I remember reading, in Polish, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series - great books, although I couldn't shed the feeling I was admiring the translator's creative work as much as the author's.

An even more extreme example was reading "A Clockwork Orange" - in Polish translation, from a linguistic point of view, it was definitely more of the creative effort of the translator (Robert Stiller) than the author (Anthony Burgess). I read the first translation which was created including Russian language derived neologisms. The same translator later published another translation which included English language derived neologisms. Different "futures" depending on turning more east or west!

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Nice idea but it needs a referee. Have we got an answer yet?

I was surprised to see there is a word for "fox" in brasilian português (using Bing translator)

John661162

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Hi , if you anyone can let me know the time and date , I will add my name , if I will be available. :)

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Meli578588 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:21 pm

Hi , if you anyone can let me know the time and date , I will add my name , if I will be available. :)

Just add your name and the languages, don't worry about the dates. At the moment those who want to participate say so.

Antinomy - Imagination

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

filled it out. 🙂

Edit : I went to double check to make sure my name took because after filling out the short form , on the bottom it said , “ Add my name” in another little box.

It’s says sever is temporarily down due to maintenance or capacity problems. I will come back and recheck a bit later. :)

Thank you @gmads

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Meli578588 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:51 pm

I filled it out. 🙂

Edit : I went to double check to make sure my name took because after filling out the short form , on the bottom it said , “ Add my name” in another little box.

It’s says sever is temporarily down due to maintenance or capacity problems. I will come back and recheck a bit later. :)

Thank you @gmads

Excellent, though you didn't update the two language lists after the table. I just did. Well, now we just need [mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention] and [mention]duome[/mention] to sign up! We need a French native —or very fluent— speaker.

Antinomy - Imagination

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

gmads wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:03 am

Excellent, though you didn't update the two language lists after the table. I just did. Well, now we just need @Dana_Dany Danuta and @duome to sign up! We need a French native —or very fluent— speaker.

Paging [mention]vero-bis[/mention] and/or [mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention].... 8-)

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Stasia wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:27 am
John238922 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:26 pm

The two sayings have roughly the same meaning, but could have different nuances.

That is the eternal problem of translators, and there is really no good answer to this.

I remember reading, in Polish, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series - great books, although I couldn't shed the feeling I was admiring the translator's creative work as much as the author's.

An even more extreme example was reading "A Clockwork Orange" - in Polish translation, from a linguistic point of view, it was definitely more of the creative effort of the translator (Robert Stiller) than the author (Anthony Burgess). I read the first translation which was created including Russian language derived neologisms. The same translator later published another translation which included English language derived neologisms. Different "futures" depending on turning more east or west!

I'm also a Pratchett fan, and funnily enough my reading of the Discworld series has coincided with coming onto Duolingo.

Thinking about The Watch police culture, and different efforts to portray different police cultures, by English-speaking writers, with Arkady Renko, in Gorky Park, and the little vignette of the old sergeant in LeCarre's The LookingGlass War, and, of course, a non-English author, with Maigret.

Translation problems also brought to my mind the first sentence of Don Quixote.

En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor.

Who in the world knows what 'astillero' means?

So here's Cervantes, in 1605, trying to sound quaint and 'olde worlde' back from that time being translated 200 or 400 years afterwards.

I came across this interesting site https://welovetranslations.com/2022/03/ ... te-part-1/

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Stasia wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:48 pm
gmads wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:03 am

Excellent, though you didn't update the two language lists after the table. I just did. Well, now we just need @Dana_Dany Danuta and @duome to sign up! We need a French native —or very fluent— speaker.

Paging @vero-bis and/or @MoniqueMaRie.... 8-)

As I'm far from fluent, [mention]vero-bis[/mention] would be the best choice for French

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Return to “Random Thoughts”