Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Translator Jumble

Deleted User 133

Re: Translator jumble

Post by Deleted User 133 »

Sign me up for the second round. Let's do this.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

I'm in, and I also posted the link to this topic, as well as to the translator document, on the Polish-language section of the forum, maybe some other Polish speaker will add their name to the list... :D

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Deleted User 1929

Post by Deleted User 1929 »

I’m in in the 2nd round as well

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

The more languages the better. Count on me for the second round too ;)

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

2nd round

This will be the sequence this time:

• [mention]Alivated[/mention] - English: Arabic
  • [mention]lama.03[/mention] - Arabic: German
  • [mention]Cifi[/mention] - German: English
  • [mention]Stasia[/mention] - English: Spanish
  • [mention]Explorer[/mention] - Spanish: Portuguese
  • [mention]Gmads[/mention] - Portuguese: English
  • @Alivated - English

So, Alivated creates the sentence in English, translates it into Arabic, and sends the Arabic version to Lama.03... etc.

We have only one person knowledgeable in or studying the following: Berber, French, Greek, Italian, Korean, Polish, Quechua.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

Oh, were we supposed to leave a comment to register in the game? Anyway, count me in for the next round.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:27 am

Oh, were we supposed to leave a comment to register in the game? Anyway, count me in for the next round.

Not really, I suppose, but given the lack of comments about the initial post, and that the currently suggested "protocol" about how to indicate if one is in or out doesn't really make it clear (given that the default is "I am in"), I opted to take the positive answers to the second post as the "I'm in" signal.

Great, I will! :)

Cheers!

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Hello [mention]lama.03[/mention],

Thinking about your signature, "distance means nothing," there is an Italian song called La lontananza ("Remoteness"), by Domenico Modugno, that says:

(in Italian)
La lontananza sai è come il vento,
che fa dimenticare chi non s'ama
è già passato un anno ed è un incendio
che, mi brucia l'anima.

(in English)
You know, remoteness is like the wind,
which makes us forget those we do not love,
a year has already passed and it is a fire
that burns my soul.

So.... distance is like the wind, it extinguishes small fires, but kindles the big ones.

Antinomy - Imagination

Deleted User 1929

Post by Deleted User 1929 »

gmads wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:42 pm

Hello @lama.03,

Thinking about your signature, "distance means nothing," there is an Italian song called La lontananza ("Remoteness"), by Domenico Modugno, that says:

(in Italian)
La lontananza sai è come il vento,
che fa dimenticare chi non s'ama
è già passato un anno ed è un incendio
che, mi brucia l'anima.

(in English)
You know, remoteness is like the wind,
which makes us forget those we do not love,
a year has already passed and it is a fire
that burns my soul.

So.... distance is like the wind, it extinguishes small fires, but kindles the big ones.

Hi 😊

Well distance is surely not easy, in fact it’s very hard.

But speaking of experience distance doesn’t really affect the bond between the people wether it’s love, friendship or whatever.

And since I’m a Syrian immigrant I can highly relate to “Distance means nothing” because it really doesn’t, at least when someone means everything (in my opinion and in my case).

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

lama.03 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:29 pm

Hi 😊

Well distance is surely not easy, in fact it’s very hard.

But speaking of experience distance doesn’t really affect the bond between the people wether it’s love, friendship or whatever.

And since I’m a Syrian immigrant I can highly relate to “Distance means nothing” because it really doesn’t, at least when someone means everything (in my opinion and in my case).

True, distance means nothing.

I guess that my comment was because eventhough I did not make it explicit, I was taking into consideration the time factor, which I'd say goes hand in hand with the idea of distance. Time definitely tends to modify how one thinks and feels. In essence, all this is subject to the care given to each connection :)

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Re: Translator Jumble

Post by gmads »

Hi, [mention]Alivated[/mention] [mention]lama.03[/mention] [mention]Cifi[/mention] [mention]Stasia[/mention] [mention]Explorer[/mention]

I've just sent my translation, which was the last one of this round. Once Alivated PM's you, please go to https://board.net/p/translator-jumble and near the bottom of the page enter the sentence you received. Your usernames are already listed there.

Antinomy - Imagination

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Shouldn't Stasia be between me and Explorer on board.net? Is there an entry missing?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Cifi wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:58 pm

Shouldn't Stasia be between me and Explorer on board.net? Is there an entry missing?

Right. Actually, each of us should add one's own entry. I had some time so I added all of them, but it seems I must have missed Stasia's line. Done.

Antinomy - Imagination

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

And I'm the one who changed the translation again :D

However, in Spanish "matar con placer" (literal translation of killing with pleasure), has too strong of a connotation of a sadist whom killing gives pleasure. Which is why I opted for "matar de placer" which is less literal, but more accurate in term of the meaning.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Translator Jumble game. Second round. Results!

Here are both, the starting and ending sentences. I colored where the differences occurred.

Come! Your presence will either give me life or kill me with pleasure.
Come! Your presence will give me life or will kill me by pleasure.

And here are the translation steps it went through. After each username is the sentence she/he received.

1. Alivated - Come! Your presence will either give me life or kill me with pleasure.
  2. Lama.03 - تعال! تواجدك إما سيمدني بالحياة أو يقتلني بسرور.
  3. Cifi - Komm! Deine Anwesenheit wird mir entweder Leben geben oder mich mit Vergnügen töten.
  4. Stasia - Come! Your presence will either give me life or kill me with pleasure.
  5. Explorer - Ven! Tu presencia me dará vida o me matará de placer
  6. Gmads - Vem! A tua presença me dará vida ou me matará de prazer
  7. Alivated - Come! Your presence will give me life or will kill me by pleasure.

Please tell us about how it went for you to translate this sentence :D

Antinomy - Imagination

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

I struggled hard with "Komm!" ("Come!"), because in most situations I would understand it as "Come on", i.e. unrelated to the location. But as the context seemed to suggest it actually was about the location, I decided to translate it literally to "Come!" in the end. (Actually I might have put "Komm her!" if it had been my turn to translate from English to German because the meaning seems clearer to me.)

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Stasia wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:23 pm

However, in Spanish "matar con placer" (literal translation of killing with pleasure), has too strong of a connotation of a sadist whom killing gives pleasure. Which is why I opted for "matar de placer" which is less literal, but more accurate in term of the meaning.

Indeed, "matar con placer" would have changed the meaning of the sentence. Besides, given that the "killing" was to be done by "the presence" (the fact of being present) not the individual itself, using "con" would not have made any sense. Using "de" as you did, was more than perfect.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Cifi wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:39 pm

I struggled hard with "Komm!" ("Come!"), because in most situations I would understand it as "Come on", i.e. unrelated to the location.

Who would have imagined! Yes, the "here" part was implicit, for one to infer.

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Looks like poetical nuisances get lost when things are put through translation. This shows it is hard to capture an original thought in another language.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

A tua presença me dará vida ou me matará de prazer.

In my case, the preposition "de" became challenging.

My first option was using "with," and while I may be missing a subtle nuance about its usage, to me it makes the sentence: "your presence will give me life or will kill me with pleasure," sound a bit weird because it makes it seem that it would be the "presence" that would have the pleasure in doing the killing.

My second option: using "of," seemed way better to transmit the correct idea, but it sounded a bit strange from a grammatical point of view (as literal translations usually do): "[...] will kill me of pleasure."

The preposition "de" in Portuguese quite expresses the correct sense: "your presence will give me life or the pleasure it makes me feel will kill me." Of course, expressing this in English would diverge radically from the original sentence.

Eventhough it still sounds a bit off: "your presence will give me life or will kill me by pleasure," I finally settled with the preposition "by" because it indicates how something is done, for example: "the discovery was made by mistake."

I all truth, I'm not entirely sure about any of the three prepositions, in real life I would have expressed the complete idea.

Antinomy - Imagination

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

gmads wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:33 pm

This can get real messy, real fast!

So, to avoid overloading and making a complete chaos of this thread, I say that we work on the following real-time collaborative document I just created.

I have written what I think can be a starting point.

Don't be shy and participate. Suggestions are welcome!

Click on the Users icon, and enter your duome username. If you want, you may also define a color to mark your texts.

I will not participate but his cool idea for this and [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] thanks for the humble jumbo

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:04 am

Looks like poetical nuisances get lost when things are put through translation. This shows it is hard to capture an original thought in another language.

Khalil Gibran said, “translating is an art by itself; it is the re-creative process of transforming the magic of one language into the magic of another.”

Unfortunately, I don't remember from which book I got this quote.

Antinomy - Imagination

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

gmads wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:03 pm

A tua presença me dará vida ou me matará de prazer.

In my case, the preposition "de" became challenging.

My first option was using "with," and while I may be missing a subtle nuance about its usage, to me it makes the sentence: "your presence will give me life or will kill me with pleasure," sound a bit weird because it makes it seem that it would be the "presence" that would have the pleasure in doing the killing.

My second option: using "of," seemed way better to transmit the correct idea, but it sounded a bit strange from a grammatical point of view (as literal translations usually do): "[...] will kill me of pleasure."

The preposition "de" in Portuguese quite expresses the correct sense: "your presence will give me life or the pleasure it makes me feel will kill me." Of course, expressing this in English would diverge radically from the original sentence.

Eventhough it still sounds a bit off: "your presence will give me life or will kill me by pleasure," I finally settled with the preposition "by" because it indicates how something is done, for example: "the discovery was made by mistake."

I all truth, I'm not entirely sure about any of the three prepositions, in real life I would have expressed the complete idea.

Good point that you and Stasia made!

I think the preposition "with" does work in English without being interpreted as "it's the presence that would kill the speaker, and it (obviously personalised) would enjoy it.

However, translating it as "con" in Spanish or "mit" in German implies this meaning.

For me it is a little bit like "to dance/jump/cry/... with joy", which I think would be "bailar/saltar/llorar... de alegría" or "vor Freude tanzen/hüpfen/weinen/..."

I looked up a German translation of Voltaire, and it phrases the sentence as "Kommen Sie, Ihre Gegenwart schenkt mir entweder das Leben wieder oder tötet mich vor Vergnügen".

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Indeed. Then you also have things that are common expressions, but are hard to translate literally.

For example in Spanish:

He tomado un cafecito esta mañana.

Since English does not have diminutives, the most logical translation woud be:

I have drank a small coffee this morning.

Which going back to Spanish would be:

He tomado un pequeño café esta mañana.

Not the same thing! :) But having lost the -ito Spanish->English, it's difficult to recover it in tanslation English->Spanish.

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Damn poetical nuisances

If you think Google Translate is bad, see what predictive text does.

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Stasia wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:04 pm

Indeed. Then you also have things that are common expressions, but are hard to translate literally.

For example in Spanish:

He tomado un cafecito esta mañana.

Since English does not have diminutives, the most logical translation woud be:

I have drank a small coffee this morning.

Hey, [mention]Stasia[/mention] , English has diminutives, often the 'y' or 'ie' suffix: 'matey, 'dearie', 'piggy', 'Freddy', just not consistently.

That translation could be, with a Victorian or Edwardian tone a 'coffee -ette', or more modernly a 'mini-coffee', or hipsterly, a 'piccolo'.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Stasia[/mention] That's the idea of this thread to discover these differences.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

John238922 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:52 am

Hey, @Stasia , English has diminutives, often the 'y' or 'ie' suffix: 'matey, 'dearie', 'piggy', 'Freddy', just not consistently.

That translation could be, with a Victorian or Edwardian tone a 'coffee -ette', or more modernly a 'mini-coffee', or hipsterly, a 'piccolo'.

8-) Great suggestions! Since you are doing a diachronic comparison, let me make a synchronic one as well: none of the above would be the correct translation of the Andean Spanish cafecito. In the Andes, diminutives are very abundant in every day speech... so cafecito is just coffee, desayunito is simply breakfast, pancito is bread of no particular size restriction, etc, etc. :D

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

In Castilian Spanish, diminutives do not necessarily refer to the size of things. They can also be used to express that you really like to do something.

For example in this sentence: me tomaría una cervecita. Here I'm not saying that I want a small beer. I'm saying that I really like beer, and would probably have a good pint!

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Explorer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:19 am

In Castilian Spanish, diminutives do not necessarily refer to the size of things. They can also be used to express that you really like to do something.

For example in this sentence: me tomaría una cervecita. Here I'm not saying that I want a small beer. I'm saying that I really like beer, and would probably have a good pint!

That's interesting, because when I went to Spain with my very Bolivian way of speaking, I was perceived as "childish" for "abusing" the diminutives. Hence, I assumed that this use of diminutives was resticted to the Andes. :lol:

Return to “Random Thoughts”