Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

countries flags . . 🎀✨

..Renad
Oman

countries flags . . 🎀✨

Post by ..Renad »

Every country has a flag, and the flag is not just a cloth, but it has a certain symbolism that expresses an identity

The country, where each country has a flag with a specific color or colors and symbols. . !

National flags are powerful symbols. . !

For your information, there is a science dedicated to studying the flags of countries, which is the science of “philosophy”, which is a word derived from the Latin word vexilum meaning flag or banner. .

As I said, every country is characterized by certain colors and symbols, for sure, those colors and symbols express something. .

Therefore, share with us,,

What do the colors of your country's flags indicate or symbolize, and if there is a symbol in your country's flag, what does it symbolize . . ?!

Thanks for reading . . ♡

وترى ظُروفَ الأمسِ صارت بلسَمًا
وهي التي أَعيَتْك حينَ تعسّرتْ

رِنــاد

Deleted User 114

Re: countries flags . . 🎀✨

Post by Deleted User 114 »

The stripes represent the original 13 Colonies.

The stars represent the 50 states.

The colors of the flag are symbolic also. Red symbolizes hardiness and valor, white symbolizes purity and innocence, and blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice.

6E1A709B-E2A6-4E1E-B724-41F0B3F76CF4.jpeg
6E1A709B-E2A6-4E1E-B724-41F0B3F76CF4.jpeg (57.2 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

There is an American song, I like the first and last verses especially.

“My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From ev'ry mountainside
Let freedom ring!

Our fathers' God to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright,
With freedom's holy light,
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God our King!”

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

1E2FB283-7B67-4577-891F-4503ED45E4B3.png
1E2FB283-7B67-4577-891F-4503ED45E4B3.png (5.94 KiB) Viewed 1214 times

I realized recently that my city has a flag.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Denver

Quoting from wikipedia:

A zigzag white stripe horizontally separates a red field below from a blue field above, in which is centered a yellow circle, together forming a stylized depiction of the Sun in a blue sky above snow-capped mountains. The color yellow symbolizes gold in the state's hills, and red the colored earth to which the word colorado refers. The circle's centered position symbolizes Denver's central location within the state. The white zigzag symbolizes Colorado's Native American heritage.

🇺🇦

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Relevant to this thread:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexillology

On chess.com, they show a flag of where everyone i play is (allegedly) from. I like to look at those flags when I play people there. (If you tap on those flags it will tell you which country they belong to.)

🇺🇦

Deleted User 1414

Post by Deleted User 1414 »

🇯🇵 The red circle of the Japanese flag seems to mean the sun. The white part seems to mean sacredness and chastity. See wikipedia for details.

Deleted User 1929

Post by Deleted User 1929 »

The red color in the flag of Syria symbolizes heroism and sacrifice for freedom.
While the white color denotes equality, harmony, serenity and peace.
The black color symbolizes greatness, loyalty and valor.
The two stars also symbolize both Syria and Egypt. The two countries were united for three years, and the flag between them was the current flag of Syria.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

..Renad wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:19 pm

For your information, there is a science dedicated to studying the flags of countries, which is the science of “philosophy”, which is a word derived from the Latin word vexilum meaning flag or banner. .

I am guessing that auto-correct messed your sentence up - it happens to all of us sometimes. :)

Vexillology is the science of flags.
Philosophy deals with much wider and more general questions of human knowledge.

Anyway. The Polish flag is simple:

White stands for purity, red for bravery.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

buho

Post by buho »

I find it quite ironic that most of the countries have flags that symbolise peace, justice, freedom, etc. Their actions on the other hand – namely anti-refugee sentiment, servitude to corporations that exploit economically poorer nations(and even going as far as to depose leaders - see salvador allende), going after those who speak truth to power(hint: assange, snowden, manning), etc — say totally the opposite thing.

and yes, my country also dons this hat of bigotry.
sorry for going off topic.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Stasia wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:35 am

I’ve wondered why the Indonesian flag is the inverse of Poland’s.

From wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Indonesia

“The flag's colours are derived from the banner of the 13th century Majapahit Empire.[3] However, it has been suggested that the red and white symbolism can trace its origin to the older common Austronesian mythology of the duality of Mother Earth (red) and Father Sky (white). This is why these colours appear in so many flags throughout Austronesia, from Tahiti to Madagascar.[4] The earliest records of the red and white panji or pataka (a long flag on a curved bamboo pole) can be found in the Pararaton chronicle; according to this source, the Jayakatwang troops from Gelang-Gelang hoisted the red and white banner during their invasion of Singhasari in the early 12th century. This suggests that even before the Majapahit era, the red and white colours were already revered and used as the kingdom's banner in the Kediri era (1042-c.1222).”

Makes me wonder whether Japan’s flag is related at all.

🇺🇦

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

I'm going slightly off-topic because it's not a country's flag, but the "Jolly Roger" skull and crossbones pirate flag is surely as recognisable as any nation state's flag.

Some interesting stuff about its history and use here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_Roger

For a long time I wrongly believed (because somebody confidently told me so when I was a kid) that the skull and crossbones flag was only ever used by pirates in films, cartoons and novels. Turns out it was very real, and different real-life pirates even had their own personalised versions of it. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

I don;t live in Greenland, but I like the flag more than the flag of the country I live in, so I'm going to talk about it here instead.
![](https://cdn.britannica.com/60/69560-050 ... 235&c=crop)
On the top half of the Greenland falg, the white part symbolizes the icecaps, and the red part on the bottom of the flag represents the ocean. The red half of the circle symbolizes the fjords, and the white half represents the icebergs.

I'm as dry as a mouse and don’t use this anymore.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

I am guessing that auto-correct messed your sentence up - it happens to all of us sometimes. :)

Hello, I highly recommend you to read these pages, because here is a lot of interesting information about Polish symbols :)

🇵🇱 The Polish Flag: Everything You've Ever Wanted to Know 🇵🇱

https://culture.pl/en/article/the-polis ... ed-to-know

Polish national symbols:

HYMN POLSKI - NATIONAL ANTHEM OF POLAND (lyrics)

Cheers! ;) Danuta

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, [mention]..Renad[/mention], I am waiting for a description of your country - a flag and symbols and I will read it with curiosity! :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:57 am

Hi, @..Renad, I am waiting for a description of your country - a flag and symbols and I will read it with curiosity! :)

Hello . . [mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention]

My country is Omani . .

White color symbolizes peace and security . .

Green symbolizes fertility, agriculture and prosperity . .

The red color symbolizes the battles fought by the country throughout its ancient history against foreign invasion . .

The emblem at the top right of the flag is two crossed swords with an Omani dagger in the middle . .

رِنــاد

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Jacko079 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:15 pm

The stripes represent the original 13 Colonies.

The stars represent the 50 states.

The colors of the flag are symbolic also. Red symbolizes hardiness and valor, white symbolizes purity and innocence, and blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice.

6E1A709B-E2A6-4E1E-B724-41F0B3F76CF4.jpeg

There is an American song, I like the first and last verses especially.

“My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From ev'ry mountainside
Let freedom ring!

Our fathers' God to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright,
With freedom's holy light,
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God our King!”

Oh this is amazing . . ✨[mention]Jacko079[/mention]

Last edited by ..Renad on Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

رِنــاد

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:31 pm

1E2FB283-7B67-4577-891F-4503ED45E4B3.pngI realized recently that my city has a flag.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Denver

Quoting from wikipedia:

A zigzag white stripe horizontally separates a red field below from a blue field above, in which is centered a yellow circle, together forming a stylized depiction of the Sun in a blue sky above snow-capped mountains. The color yellow symbolizes gold in the state's hills, and red the colored earth to which the word colorado refers. The circle's centered position symbolizes Denver's central location within the state. The white zigzag symbolizes Colorado's Native American heritage.

that's cool . . ✨[mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention]

رِنــاد

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Nineko wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:29 pm

🇯🇵 The red circle of the Japanese flag seems to mean the sun. The white part seems to mean sacredness and chastity. See wikipedia for details.

Ooh beautiful . . ✨[mention]Nineko[/mention]

رِنــاد

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Oh thanks for the note ,, I'll rewrite it . . [mention]Stasia[/mention]

This is beautiful . . ✨

رِنــاد

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

buho wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:59 am

I find it quite ironic that most of the countries have flags that symbolise peace, justice, freedom, etc. Their actions on the other hand – namely anti-refugee sentiment, servitude to corporations that exploit economically poorer nations(and even going as far as to depose leaders - see salvador allende), going after those who speak truth to power(hint: assange, snowden, manning), etc — say totally the opposite thing.

Ooh, no problem . . !

رِنــاد

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Davey944676 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:44 am

I'm going slightly off-topic because it's not a country's flag, but the "Jolly Roger" skull and crossbones pirate flag is surely as recognisable as any nation state's flag.

Some interesting stuff about its history and use here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_Roger

For a long time I wrongly believed (because somebody confidently told me so when I was a kid) that the skull and crossbones flag was only ever used by pirates in films, cartoons and novels. Turns out it was very real, and different real-life pirates even had their own personalised versions of it. :)

awesome . . ✨ [mention]Davey944676[/mention]

رِنــاد

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:33 am

Hello, I highly recommend you to read these pages, because here is a lot of interesting information about Polish symbols :)

🇵🇱 The Polish Flag: Everything You've Ever Wanted to Know 🇵🇱

https://culture.pl/en/article/the-polis ... ed-to-know

Polish national symbols:

HYMN POLSKI - NATIONAL ANTHEM OF POLAND (lyrics)

Cheers! ;) Danuta

Cool, thanks . . ✨. . [mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention]

رِنــاد

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

I think most (all?) countries want peace, justice, and freedom, etc. But the meaning of those values does change country to country, and culture to culture. Of course, truth is not subjective, but what people view to be truth does differ. But we can remember, in the end, we’re all humans and we all make mistakes. (Even I do too :))

P.S. I like your profile picture!

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

This is steering the discussion of flags into politics, and I think we can all agree we should avoid that.

We are building here an international community of people whose countries often spin narratives ones against another, and I'm afraid that if we start discussing issues such as this one, we will fall into these narratives and thus break our community.

So I will not comment whether I agree or disagree with you, and why. I will just say that there is a difference between the ideal and the reality. As citizens of any given nation we want to see the best in our homelands, and the symbolism of our flags evokes these pure, ideal sentiments. Reality is much more complex, and yes we need to know it too, but maybe this forum is not the best place to discuss it.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

buho

Post by buho »

[mention]Stasia[/mention], sorry for that. sometimes it just pours out sin limites. :sweat:

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

buho wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:57 am

@Stasia, sorry for that. sometimes it just pours out sin limites. :sweat:

Nations and, by extension, nationalism are inherently contentious issues. So, although I don’t agree with everything you said, neither can I accept your apology. I find what you said less offensive than what others who assumed they were being innocuous here said and I especially take offense at that assumption.

🇺🇦

buho

Post by buho »

[mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention], damn, a nuanced take? haven't seen such a thing on the Internet for quite some time.

Now I love this community even more :D

Lauren
Dominican Republic

Post by Lauren »

Hi everyone, This is the flag of Dominican Republic, my country. It be that not know about this country because is small and littler mencioned, but is a beautiful country.

Ultramarine Blue: Represent the sky that cover the homelad, that god protec the nacion dominican and the ideals from progress of the dominicans.

Vermilion Red: Represents the blood spilled by the patriost in the battles to get the independence.

White: Represent the peace and union on everyone the dominicans.

Curious fact: The flag of the Dominican Republic is the only in the word that carries a open bible, and the coat of arms was modificet 21 times. Sometimes this flag was considered as one of the most beautiful in latioamerica, I don't mean that the others are not, on the contrary, they are amazing.

Have a nice day.
Lauren.

And when you're gone, who remembers your name? Who keeps your flame? Who tells your story?
- Aaron Burr

Native: 🇪🇸 Learning: B1.2: 🇺🇸 ㅤA2.2: 🇫🇷

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

So I thought I'd do the flag of my target language. The blue lines on the white background are reminiscent of the prayer shawl, tallit's stripes. In Bible times the Jews were supposed to have a border of blue on their garments. God commanded them to put a fringe of blue on the borders of their garments so they might remember to keep the commandments. In remembrance of this prayer shawls have a blue stripe. This blue color corresponds to a revelation of God. The blue also represents God's glory, purity and severity. The white his divine benevolence. The shield of David is in the middle. This represents how God was David's shield when he went to war and he is Israel's shield.

![](https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Evenor.jpg)

Wiki

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Stasia wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:55 pm

This is steering the discussion of flags into politics, and I think we can all agree we should avoid that.

We are building here an international community of people whose countries often spin narratives ones against another, and I'm afraid that if we start discussing issues such as this one, we will fall into these narratives and thus break our community.

So I will not comment whether I agree or disagree with you, and why. I will just say that there is a difference between the ideal and the reality. As citizens of any given nation we want to see the best in our homelands, and the symbolism of our flags evokes these pure, ideal sentiments. Reality is much more complex, and yes we need to know it too, but maybe this forum is not the best place to discuss it.

[mention]buho[/mention] and [mention]Stasia[/mention] , thank you for a couple of thoughtful posts.

Personally, I find trying to understand how the native speakers of my target language, exemplified by their nationalist symbols, their literature, their journalism, and so on, view the world, in ways that are different from my own, to be one of the most interesting and rewarding parts of language learning.

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:35 pm
buho wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:57 am

@Stasia, sorry for that. sometimes it just pours out sin limites. :sweat:

Nations and, by extension, nationalism are inherently contentious issues. So, although I don’t agree with everything you said, neither can I accept your apology. I find what you said less offensive than what others who assumed they were being innocuous here said and I especially take offense at that assumption.

[mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention] , thanks also for your thoughtful post.

However I can't see what there was in [mention]buho[/mention] 's post to offend anyone.

Overbroard generalisation, sure, but offensive?

I also get a little uncomfortable when I see what I perceive as extravagant nationalist propaganda on forums, but its hard to tell the difference between intentional propaganda and what is just being repeated by, shall we say, politically naive, posters acting in good faith.

Return to “Random Thoughts”