Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Ich habe mich vor zwei Wochen um den Job beworben. (en → de) Topic is solved

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

sentence bot 🤖

Ich habe mich vor zwei Wochen um den Job beworben. (en → de)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

Ich habe mich vor zwei Wochen um den Job beworben.

en: I applied for the job two weeks ago.

Seiryuu
Canada

Re: Ich habe mich vor zwei Wochen um den Job beworben. (en → de)

Post by Seiryuu »

I reported this sentence on 23 June 2022 because it wouldn't accept "I applied two weeks ago for the job".

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

More like a side note: in German it is possible to change the order, ich habe mich um den Job vor zwei Wochen beworben, but it's kind of an unusual way to phrase it in my opinion, with emphasis on the period of time.

If you want to do that, more natural might be "ich habe mich schon vor zwei Wochen um den Job beworben".

Last edited by Cifi on Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

mathemajician
United States of America

Post by mathemajician »

Cifi wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:21 pm

More like a side note: in German it is possible to change the order, ich habe mich um den Job vor zwei Wochen beworben, but it's kind of an unusual way to phrase it in my opinion, with emphasis on the period of time.

If you want to do that, more natural might be "ich habe mich schon vor zwei Wochen um den Job beworben".

So phrasing it in that order (in German) would be more if you wanted to emphasize that it had been two weeks since you applied for the job -- like maybe you have been impatiently waiting to hear and haven't yet heard anything?

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

That's right. But it is mainly the use of schon. schon add some new information to the sentence. It could be lack of patience or as a sort of contradiction.
A: Bewirb dich doch endlich mal auf die Stelle!
B: Ich habe mich (doch) schon vor 2 Wochen um den Job beworben. (As always doch fits well in these sorts of contradictons.)

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

Return to “Sentence discussions”