Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Σπαγγέτι - gender/number and pronunciation

Cifi

Σπαγγέτι - gender/number and pronunciation

Post by Cifi »

Duolingo teaches this word without indicating the gender or number. Consulting some dictionaries, obviously it is neuter, but some say it is plural and other say singular.

Thus my question: would it be τα σπαγγέτι (as τα ζυμαρικά α and τα μακαρόνια) or το σπαγγέτι.

And then, to me Duolingo's pronunciation seems similar to spanghetti. This would be in concordance with Greek pronunciation rules as far as I understand (it is the same sound as in το αγγούρι), but in a discussion someone said it shouldn't be this way, possibly because it is a loanword(?)

I found only one example on forvo: https://forvo.com/word/σπαγγέτι/#el

Last edited by Cifi on Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Cifi

Re: Σπαγγέτι - gender/number and pronunciation

Post by Cifi »

Right in the next lesson I had το σπαγγέτι, so it seems to be singular, and this question would be solved.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

"το σπαγγέτι" is the singular form - it refers to a single strand of spaghetti. The plural form is "τα σπαγγέτι". It's a loanword, thus it's indeclinable. Just like in Italian, the plural form is used more.

As for the pronunciation, Wiktionary says it's /spa(ŋ)ˈɡe.ti/, with an optional ŋ. Personally, I would probably pronounce it without the ŋ sound, but I wouldn't find it unnatural with it. Frankly, I doubt that the average Greek even notices the difference between the two.

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

Phil682961

Post by Phil682961 »

O.Zoe wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:14 am

As for the pronunciation, Wiktionary says it's /spa(ŋ)ˈɡe.ti/, with an optional ŋ. Personally, I would probably pronounce it without the ŋ sound, but I wouldn't find it unnatural with it. Frankly, I doubt that the average Greek even notices the difference between the two.

I got interested in this a while back when there were some hot takes on it on the Duolingo forum, and tried to listen to some examples.

For example here:

There are a couple of instances of σπαγγέτι here between 0:50 and 0:55. I think I'd transcribe these with [g] rather than [ŋg]... but at the same time I think I can hear a small amount of nasality there, it's not an absolutely non-nasal [g]. Like you say, it's not necessarily a black-and-white distinction.

Phil682961

Post by Phil682961 »

(Side note, the title of the video also demonstrates the use of σπαγγέτι in the plural: it's εύκολα σπαγγέτι, whereas the singular would be εύκολο σπαγγέτι.)

Last edited by Phil682961 on Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Greek”