Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Lions in Europe?

Corinnebelle

Lions in Europe?

Post by Corinnebelle »

This is just a random question, have you ever wondered what people would think if people decided to reintroduce lions in Europe? Like they introduce wolves and other animals to areas where they have been previously decimated. Somehow I do not think people would be too thrilled with lions on their doorstep. [Although there are some bears.] There probably is too much urbanization for them now anyhow.

Europe's last wild lions

Mountain lions in fact are returning to Europe.

What is a lion in your target language?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Re: Lions in Europe?

Post by Corinnebelle »

אריה

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

lion = Löwe
mountain lion = Puma

I agree, due to urbanization there isn't enough space for lions. At least in central Europe bears and wolves aren't welcome, because they tend to get too close to the cities.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:12 am

אריה

أسد

:)

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:11 am

What is a lion in your target language?

leão 🦁

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

And tigers and bears oh my!!

Lions in Europe? How about bears in Africa?

The word for “lion” in Swahili is: “simba.”

After realizing I don’t know the Swahili word for “bear,” I just googled “Are there bears in Africa?”

And this came back:

“At the moment, there are no bear species in Africa. There was a time when the brown bear roamed the Atlas mountains, where they were once native. They'd made their way from Europe, all the way to the top of Africa. Today, that's no longer the case.“

Through cloning it is probably possible to bring back many animals that lived tens of thousands of years ago. This could probably include the giant cave lions that used to live in Europe and the giant bears that used to roam North America. One theory is that those bears delayed human passage through the Bering Straits because there was a time when “man vs. animal” was a legitimate contest. No longer. For better or worse (I’d argue “for worse”) humans no longer compete with predators other than themselves. I’m one of those re-wilding advocates who believes we should try to bring back such magnificent species.

What foreign words for “bear” do you know?

🇺🇦

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:20 pm

What foreign words for “bear” do you know?

oso
ours
urso
медведь
دُبّ

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

דוב

There are legends of giant humans back in the day. I don't think man today wants to be terrorized with twelve foot bears. They would be fun to see if we could keep them on their own planet, but what would they eat?

Deleted User 114

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] Have you heard of Clyde? He was an Alaskan Kodiak bear, he lived from 1965 until 1987. He was over 9 feet tall! Here's an article about him and some photos also.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:19 am

דוב

There are legends of giant humans back in the day. I don't think man today wants to be terrorized with twelve foot bears. They would be fun to see if we could keep them on their own planet, but what would they eat?

Planet of the bears! I’m all for it! It does remind me of one of my favorite books, Shardik, by Richard Adams, the author of Watership Down. Shardik is about a prehistoric bear-worshipping cult who predict a giant bear will come to be a savior. Priests are prepared to worship such a bear. And it comes.

🇺🇦

Deleted User 114

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:09 pm
Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:19 am

דוב

Planet of the bears! I’m all for it! It does remind me of one of my favorite books, Shardik, by Richard Adams, the author of Watership Down. Shardik is about a prehistoric bear-worshipping cult who predict a giant bear will come to be a savior. Priests are prepared to worship such a bear. And it comes.

I haven’t read Shardik, but I did really enjoy reading Watership Down.

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

Oso

and my friend I love this post thanks for sharing this with and everyone

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Jacko079 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:25 am

@Corinnebelle Have you heard of Clyde? He was an Alaskan Kodiak bear, he lived from 1965 until 1987. He was over 9 feet tall! Here's an article about him and some photos also.

No, I haven't. It sounds like they radiated him and maybe that affected his pineal gland so he grew bigger. I heard the Chinese shoot seeds into space and then they grow twice as big.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Talking about giants, makes me think of that massive bunch of grapes the spies hauled back from Canaan. There were giants in the land in those days... Wonder what made those grapes grow so big and what made the giants so tall also? What microbes were in the soil to do that?

Deleted User 114

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:46 am

Talking about giants, makes me think of that massive bunch of grapes the spies hauled back from Canaan. There were giants in the land in those days... Wonder what made those grapes grow so big and what made the giants so tall also? What microbes were in the soil to do that?

I wonder also.

The are so many things we know, and so many things we don’t know. :)

Return to “Random Thoughts”