Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

XP Inflation

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Saperlipopette!

XP Inflation

Post by Saperlipopette! »

It's really bad this week. The toads are gonna hit 20K XP; I'm gonna hit 7K without too much work, and the demotion zone is probably gonna be over / under 4K XP this week. Here's the culprit:

![](

15 minute double XP twice a day. Today I got it three times because I got a crown.

If this is the path Duolingo wants to take, they really gotta figure out how to divorce leagues from the social part of Duo. They've been dragging their tail on that for three years.

buho

Re: XP Inflation

Post by buho »

jesus. I'm barely doing 40xp a day(as I do lessons according to my pace) and still am in top 15.

and what are these chests? I've never seen them before. do they grant you more xp or something?

also, my advice: don't care about xp. you're(or anyone, really) using that app to learn, and not to be learned(by their algorithm that keeps your attention).

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

This is becoming ridiculous. One should be able to choose between a "learner" or a "gamer" profile.

Since a month, I've decided to minimize my XP, that is, I systematically refuse to use XP boosts, early chests and similar. I focus only on crowns. Now the XP only measure my work day. I know that I worked a lot if I have 150+ XP or if I have been minimalist with 20 XP.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

Saperlipopette!

Following the first place guys and the last place guys are the only fun I have with leagues anymore. I never win & I never get demoted. I never have a dog in the fight.

The first place guys have a chance to hit 20K XP this week, it isn't as sure as I thought, and it all depends on whether they're gonna fight for first place. The first place one is doing cheat-up challenges in English to Swedish; the second place one is doing L0 and L1 lessons on the Spanish to English tree. The third place guy is doing a regular 1500 XP a day mostly through the double XP timer chests. They do the first ten lessons in the English to Arab tree in the morning, and the same ten lessons at night. After the cheating sessions, they do one new lesson. This use of the timer is precisely why I hate the thing.

I didn't check the details of the other guys but I hope they all get in a fight over the next 2-3 days.

The demotion zone guys are on pace for at least 3000K XP this week. 4K seems high but it all depends in how much cheating is going to go on in the next two days. I'm sure some of them are gonna get in a fight over the next 2-3 days.

I took a day off today. I did eleven lessons; two new ones in 8.13 Get Well, seven general practice sessions, two checkpoint 5 practices, and one story in listening mode. The practice questions were from 2.05 Food, 3.08 Opinion, 5.18 Protest, 6.10 Couples, 7.25 New Job. I forgot which skill the sixth and seventh lessons came from. These are presumably chosen by BirdBrain. It is a lot more fun doing these now that the fixed the XP thing. I still think they should tell you the skill that you've just practiced on The Lesson Complete screen but Duo isn't having it. The ChK 5 lessons were from 5.21 Classroom and 5.08 Junk.

Exhibit One is the first place guys, Exhibit Two is the last place guys. Out of the 30 in the league, there were around 15 Plus Cheaters.

Names have been erased to preserve anonymity.

Exhibit One

![](

Exhibit Two

![](

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Last week, whenever I triggered the 15-minute XP booster, I tried to do the exercises that would earn me the most XP. But that got on my nerves more and more.

Now I trigger the XP booster and just continue where I wanted to anyway. Then I have less XP, but I do what I wanted to do (earning crowns in DE - IT). And if the time runs out and I've only done one exercise because I was looking up grammar: so what?

Since my Chinese tree is golden and I always want to repair the cracks there, I get enough XP in the process (especially when I do it with XP Booster).

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Saperlipopette!

Exhibit 3 is a list of skills in my tree sorted by percentage. Most of the ones not at 100% are grammar skills. What I did was then work on those skills using the double XP timer.

Exhibit 4 is the Duome list which shows that I did what I said I'd do. Because the grammar skills don't have much typing, compared to lessons, I was able to work on them every two days under the double XP timer.

The skill City 4 was another skill that was not at 100%. It's a completed Legendary Skill & I ran the table when I did a lesson with the double XP Timer.

The problem is, the percentages don't change. That leads me to believe that the percentages for those grammar skills and a few of those regular skills are a bunch of Who Shot John ?

Exhibit 3

![](

Exhibit 4

![](

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:15 pm

This is becoming ridiculous. One should be able to choose between a "learner" or a "gamer" profile.

Easy peasy. Just ignore the XP and leagues nonsense. I don't even know the league I am currently in.

Lauren
Dominican Republic

Post by Lauren »

Hi guys, this Special Offers only serve to win XP and not learn a language, because anyone can more XP at short time and stay in the first place in the division. For this reason i use Duolingo in the web on my PC, because i feel that every lesson I do is worthwhile, without increasing the XP with simple practices that I have already mastered.

And if we talk in my division (diamond), the first place has XP of 5863 and has only one language, English. Second place has 3627 XP with three languages, English, Portuguese and French. And third place has 2923 XP with PLUS and more the 31 languages, yes, plus 31. What about me, i'm in the 19th place with 1249 xp and two languages learning. (The Russian is inactive for now)

After all, the really object is learn a language, with or without multipliers XPs and we should not worry or pay attention to people who cheat just to win.

Mind you, there are people who really strive to earn a lot of xp without any xp multiplier or stories and they complete the course they are learning.

Good evening.
Lauren

And when you're gone, who remembers your name? Who keeps your flame? Who tells your story?
- Aaron Burr

Native: 🇪🇸 Learning: B1.2: 🇺🇸 ㅤA2.2: 🇫🇷

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

David680268 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:09 pm
FurbyZeKat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:15 pm

Easy peasy. Just ignore the XP and leagues nonsense. I don't even know the league I am currently in.

I'm ignoring them and turned my profile private but what I would like to have is:

• Daily objective in lessons rather than XP
  • No more offers to double XP
  • No automatic doubling of XP after a crown
  • Keep my friends and the ability to congratulate them and see their progress without leagues
  • All stats in lessons/crowns rather than XP

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:01 am

I'm ignoring them and turned my profile private but what I would like to have is:

• Keep my friends and the ability to congratulate them and see their progress without leagues

I can help with one of these: if you use the computer version rather than the app, there is no double XP after a crown.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:01 am

I have never received any offers to double XPs, but this may be because I use the web version (and not the app). Daily goals would be nice. I mostly use my streak as some sort of substitute for that.

My profile is public and will stay public. Now that the forum has been turned off, interaction with other users is very limited and only the congratulations remain. Maybe the leagues are an opportunity for personal growth :-) - I understand that many of us have a competitive nature, but I can resist that 'itch'.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

Stasia wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:01 pm

I can help with one of these: if you use the computer version rather than the app, there is no double XP after a crown.

Thank you for your help, but sadly I prefer to use the App :-(

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

David680268 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:42 pm

Maybe the leagues are an opportunity for personal growth :-) - I understand that many of us have a competitive nature, but I can resist that 'itch'.

You're lucky. I went through all leagues and got the 1st place in diamond league. I cannot really resist that 'itch', it's easier for me to turn it off.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]David680268[/mention] Duolingo does have some basic daily goal options. I think you to have reach your goal each day to keep your streak. Some people probably wish for higher XP numbers.

To find out your league, go to https://duome.eu/ and type in your Duolingo profile name at the end. Here's mine https://duome.eu/corinnebelle You can see I am in the amethyst league. I am currently private and it is keeping my league level until such a time as I wanted to go public.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Saperlipopette!

It turned out that the inducement didn't have as much of an effect as I thought it might. The second place guy amassed 11 K XP in 3 days then did nothing the rest of the week. So the first place guy did nothing too.

The third place guy was overtaken by the fourth place guy. The fourth place guy was a Duolingo Story Reader. They do a bunch of L0 sessions to smash through the crown gates & read stories full time. Lesson percentages are around 30%. The former third place guy gave up, I guess he couldn't hack doing 15 minutes of basic lessons twice a day if it wasn't going to win, place, or show in a league.

I used the double XP thing every chance I could. What I did was some set 4 & set 5 legendary practice lessons, they take about 5-7 minutes, and are at about an A2 level. I got to work on things like spelling and gender for nouns; present, passe compose, imparfait, and future simple conjugation, punctuation, capitalization, accents. Way better practice than Flash Cards.

I also completed some set 8 lessons, set 8 crowns, and some set five legendary crowns. Not a bad week. The hardest were those L4 lessons for the skill 8.12 Criminels. I didn't have much trouble with the L3 skills for 8.13 Get Well, so go figure.

One of the guys I follow completed level nine in French.

![](

Yeah, Luis is Luis von Ahe. Sean Colombo is the Duolingo guy who said two years ago that divorcing social aspects on Duo from gaming is not as easy as it sounds. I thought that meant it might happen in a year or so, but no. If it happens it will be with that new release Duo is planning. It's sort of cool that you can follow Duo people on Duolingo.

The five guys in the demotion zone at the time of my photo were the five guys who got demoted. There were hardly any fights. I think 3100 XP was the cutoff.

I finished at around 6800 & 7th place. My league goals are ten lessons a day & not to get demoted. See, if you don't do ten lessons a day & one day you do, you get a notification that "so and so did ten lessons today" to your duolingo followers. But if you do at least ten lessons a day, that notice never happens. It's the best way I've found to set my own daily goals.

I guess I learned that nobody here wants to talk about leagues and I suppose that's okay. I use them for fun. Lingo Steve says if you enjoy the process you'll learn and leagues help me enjoy the process. I also noticed on the old place that all the people who bragged about turning gaming off had pathetic progress when you looked at their profiles on Duome and they all claimed Duo was a beginner's resource. Duolingo is what you make of it. The French tree goes beyond beginner. It's B1 cefr level & gives you the tools to get to B2.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

[mention]Saperlipopette![/mention], me and you have been in very different diamond leagues this week! :D I finished 3rd with somewhere around 2600 XP - 1800 of which were made yesterday (similar technique as yours, level up followed by legendaries on double XP), because there was some last-minute competition in my sleepy no-competition league.

The 1st and 2nd place had somewhere around 4000 XP each, #4 was trailing behind me at 2500 XP. Hence the last minute kerfuffle - #4 started the day as #2, but then someone else zoomed past both of us (doing challenges and legendaries), so I decided to keep climbing to keep #3 spot. Then the next bunch had about 1000 XP each. The demotion zone was somewhere around 200 XP... :)

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:20 pm

You're lucky. I went through all leagues and got the 1st place in diamond league. I cannot really resist that 'itch', it's easier for me to turn it off.

To be honest, I had to learn it. I got the 1st place in the diamond league pretty early and did it just to rid myself of it. Leagues can be addictive and counter-productive. At some point I decided to have myself demoted and do just one or two lessons per day. I have stopped caring since.

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:59 am

@David680268 Duolingo does have some basic daily goal options. I think you have reach your goal each day to keep your streak. Some people probably wish for higher XP numbers.

To find out your league, go to https://duome.eu/ and type in your Duolingo profile name at the end. Here's mine https://duome.eu/corinnebelle You can see I am in the amethyst league. I am currently private and it is keeping my league level until such a time as I wanted to go public.

Thank you, Corinne! The options for daily goals look interesting. I usually set myself a goal in my head and try to work towards it. Next week I am going to Istanbul for a few days, and I would like to complete the Turkish tree to level 2 with the keyboard only. Something like that.
I know where I can find the league I am in. What I meant is that I had simply forgot the league I was in.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

David680268 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:02 pm
Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:59 am

@David680268 Duolingo does have some basic daily goal options. I think you have reach your goal each day to keep your streak. Some people probably wish for higher XP numbers.

Thank you, Corinne! The options for daily goals look interesting. I usually set myself a goal in my head and try to work towards it. Next week I am going to Istanbul for a few days, and I would like to complete the Turkish tree to level 2 with the keyboard only. Something like that.
I know where I can find the league I am in. What I meant is that I had simply forgot the league I was in.

:oops: I didn't read your post well enough. I thought Duolingo was hiding it from you! Ooops!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

ragenegg
United States of America

Post by ragenegg »

I don't understand what exactly you consider cheating. I've noticed that the amount of xps you earn depends a lot on which language you are studying. I completed the Ukrainian course in 117 days and I find it is very easy to earn xps in that course because you don't have to spell any Ukrainian words yourself, you just select the proper word. Now I am studying Spanish and it takes a little longer because you have to type some of the words yourself. I average 3,000 - 5,000 xps a day because I practice for an hour three times a day and sometimes more. In order to really learn a language you have got to practice daily and 15 minutes doesn't really cut it.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

ragenegg wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:16 am

I've noticed that the amount of xps you earn depends a lot on which language you are studying. I completed the Ukrainian course in 117 days and I find it is very easy to earn xps in that course (...) In order to really learn a language you have got to practice daily and 15 minutes doesn't really cut it.

It is true that it is easier to advance with some languages. Eventhough I didn't find that Ukrainian was so easy because of the cyrilic script and the difficult pronunciation.

Still, I'm curious about your learning method. If I look into your stats I see that you got 477629 XP for 306 crowns in Ukrainian, that is 1560 XP for 1 crown!

I've got 21 crowns in Ukrainian for 3345 XP, that is 159 XP per crown. For Arabic I have 88 XP/crown, 70 XP/crown for Esperanto (the easiest language) and for Dutch I'm currently at 82 XP/crown without any XP boost.

So on average you're getting 17x more XP per crown than me ...

Saperlipopette!

Today I had big changes on Duolingo. I'm not in a league and I have no leaderboard tab on the app.

If I check my account on the browser, using Desktop view, I have a league of people in my classroom.

Exactly how this plays out is anyone's guess. So far it looks like I have the social features of Duo without the leagues, which was what I asked about in my initial post. To get this, you have to be in a classroom.

Hopefully I will not see a Duolingo Story Reader or a Competitive Karen again.

Screenprint below of Desktop Site on App.

![](

ragenegg
United States of America

Post by ragenegg »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:44 am
ragenegg wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:16 am

I've noticed that the amount of xps you earn depends a lot on which language you are studying. I completed the Ukrainian course in 117 days and I find it is very easy to earn xps in that course (...) In order to really learn a language you have got to practice daily and 15 minutes doesn't really cut it.

It is true that it is easier to advance with some languages. Eventhough I didn't find that Ukrainian was so easy because of the cyrilic script and the difficult pronunciation.

Still, I'm curious about your learning method. If I look into your stats I see that you got 477629 XP for 306 crowns in Ukrainian, that is 1560 XP for 1 crown!

I've got 21 crowns in Ukrainian for 3345 XP, that is 159 XP per crown. For Arabic I have 88 XP/crown, 70 XP/crown for Esperanto (the easiest language) and for Dutch I'm currently at 82 XP/crown without any XP boost.

So on average you're getting 17x more XP per crown than me ...

I have finished the entire course but I still go in everyday and review each lesson. I also like practicing with the lightening round to mix up the lessons and review at a faster pace which gives me a lot more xps than if I only did the course. Now I have started with the Spanish course but I still review the Ukrainian everyday because I do not want to forget what I have already learned. I spend hours on duolingo to keep away from facebook and the television.

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

On the wbe, when I restore I usally get about 10 xp. IT still happens. But on the android, for the past week (I've been using it until I run out of hearts, then I switch to web), I get 43 xp is I get everything correct (almost as much as the legendary challenge with combo bonus)

I'm as dry as a mouse.

Saperlipopette!

Drymice wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:20 pm

On the wbe, when I restore I usally get about 10 xp... But on the android, for the past week, I get 43 xp.

Hi, I had that change about four-five months ago. What happened was I never repaired any cracked skills, and I even sent in bug reports complaining about the cracked skills. See, I'd do a general practice (hearts button) lesson and I might get all sixteen questions from a cracked skill. So I complained, why is it still cracked ? I practiced it! You're cracked skills are a bunch of who shot john !

So they came up with the idea of double xp for cracked skills, and it's 43 XP for running the table. But I think it's 38 XP if you miss one of the first fourteen questions. Anyway, I started doing more cracked skills since that change, and I bet others did too, prompting them to make the offer more broadly.

I think it's better to induce with a carrot rather than beat with a stick.

But I also don't see much difference between practicing the skill via the hearts button versus practicing by selecting the skill on the tree. If I practice a cracked skill through the hearts button, I think it should restore the skill.

![](

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:39 pm

But I also don't see much difference between practicing the skill via the hearts button versus practicing by selecting the skill on the tree. If I practice a cracked skill through the hearts button, I think it should restore the skill.

My theory is that when you practice from the skill, Duo will prompt you with questions specific to the skill and so you'll repair your cracked skill. If you practice using the hearts button, Duo will prompt you with questions coming from various skills, so it might repair one or more skill, but you'll have to practice a lot. Duo cracks your skill when it thinks that its specific knowledge is becoming too old, a general practice will enhance it but not fix it at once.

Saperlipopette!

FurbyZeKat wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:34 am

If you practice using the hearts button, Duo will prompt you with questions coming from various skills, so it might repair one or more skill, but you'll have to practice a lot.

Below is a list of sixteen questions I got from a hearts practice. Pretty easily I could see they were coming from the skill 7.27 The Party. After are my notes from the lessons. All the questions I got from that practice were questions I got when I first did that skill.

Once you get past the first two or three hearts practices in a day, they're all practice questions from one skill. The first 2-3 lessons each day often have questions from the hover skills. They're not really that mixed. Most questions are from one or sometimes two old lessons, and the hovered lessons in progress.

Hearts

passer le bonjour

on les a vu à la fête, il vous passent le bonjour
We saw them at the party; they give you their regards.

attacher

Je n'arrive pas à attacher mon maillot de bain.
i cant tie my bathing suit.

tenir

Je ne peux pas le tenir longtemps, c'est lourd.
i can't hold it long, its heavy.

étranger

Je ne suis pas une étranger, je suis ta femme
I'm not a stranger, I"m your wife

appartenir

Je me demande à qui ce sac pourrait appartenir.
i wonder who that bag could belong to

en premier

Luc est parti en premier, accompagné par la police.
Luc left first, accompanied by the police.

le soleil se lèvera

Le soleil se lèvera et la fête continuera encore.
The sun will rise and the party will still continue.

payante

L'entrée est gratuite, mais les boissons sont payantes.
Admission is free, but there is a fee for the drinks.

étranger

Qui est ce bel étranger a côté de la fenêtre ?
Who is that beautiful stranger next to the window?

tenir

Il faut le tenir à deux mains, c'est lourd.
You have to hold it with two hands, it's heavy.

appartenir

Un truc comme ça ne peut appartenir qu'à Louise.
A thing like this could only belong to Louise.

le soleil se lève

Vous vous couchez quand le soleil se lève ?
You go to bed when the sun rises?

payant

C'est payant, mais la deuxième place est offerte.
There is a fee, but the second seat is free.

passer le bonjour

J'ai vu Alice et elle te passe le bonjour.
I saw Alice and she sends you her regards.

en premier

Épuisés, on est partis de la fête en premier.
Exhausted, we left the party first.

attaché

Je l'ai attaché et je n'arrive plus à l'enlever.
I tied it, and I am not able to remove it anymore.

Below are my notes for that skill on Joplin, which allows me to use markup, so its just select all and paste to get it here.

7.27 The Party

1. gardien de but, en dernier, excuse, en premier, situer, étranger
  2. passer, souffler, bougie, santé, dirait
  3. et en plus, tenir, se lever, se coucher
  4. appartenir, ça va, attacher, immense
  5. magique, veille, apparaître, payant

appartenir

Ce manteau pourrait appartenir à un des invités.
This coat could belong to one of the guests.

Ça pourrait appartenir à Luc, il oublie toujours tout.
That could belong to Luc; he always forgets everything.

Elle aimerait appartenir à ce club très chic.
She would like to belong to that very stylish club.

Je me demande à qui ce sac pourrait appartenir.
I wonder who that bag could belong to.

Ne pars pas avec ce sac argenté, il m'appartient.
Don't leave with that silver bag, it belongs to me.

Nous serons bientôt les propriétaires de cette maison. Elle va nous appartenir.

Un truc comme ça ne peut appartenir qu'à Louise.
A thing like this could only belong to Louise.

Un jour, la Terre entière m'appartiendra !
One day, the entire Earth will belong to me!

appartient

Ne pars pas avec ce sac argenté, il m'appartient.
Don't leave with that silver bag; it belongs to me.

Paul, cette cravate dorée t'appartient ?
Paul, does this gold tie belong to you?

Tu sais à qui appartient ce manteau à fleurs ?.
Vous savez à qui appartient ce manteau à fleurs ?
Do you know who this floral coat belongs to?

apparaître

Je me demande quand le monstre va apparaître.
I wonder when the monster is going to appear.

La surprise va bientôt apparaître dans le jardin !
The surprise is going to appear soon in the yard!

Tu es sûr d'avoir vu apparaître un éléphant ?
Are you sure of having seen an elephant appear?

Tu crois que le marié va enfin apparaître ?
Do you think the groom is going to finally appear?

Un lapin va peut-être apparaître dans son chapeau.
A rabbit maybe is going to appear in her hat.

apparu

Il est apparu, puis il a disparu juste après.
He appeared, then he disappeared just after.

Quand la star est apparue, tout le monde s'est tu.
When the star appeared, everyone got quiet.

Tu sais qui est apparu pendant notre fête ?
Do you know who appeared during our party?

Un éléphant est apparu, on ne sait pas d'où.
An elephant appeared; we don't know from where.

attacher

Ça va, je peux attacher ma robe toute seule.
It's fine, I can tie my dress by myself.

Je n'arrive pas à attacher mon maillot de bain.
I can't tie my bathing suit.

Tu m'aides à en attacher autour de cadeaux ?
Can you help me tie some of it around the presents?

Tu peux m'aider à attacher ma robe dans le dos ?
Can you help me tie my dress on my back?

attache

Attache le chien, sinon il va mordre quelqu'un.
Tie the dog, otherwise he is going to bite someone.

attaches

Si tu n'attaches pas bien ton maillot de bain, tu vas le perdre dans les vagues. If you don't tie your swimsuit properly, you're going to lose it in the waves.

attaché

Je l'ai attaché et je n'arrive plus à l'enlever.
I tied it, and I am not able to remove it anymore.

bougie

Cent ans, ça va faire beaucoup de bougies.
One hundred years old, that is going to make a lot of candles.

D'abord on chante, puis tu souffleras tes bougies.
First we sing, then you will blow out your candles.

D'abord respire ensuite souffle tres fort.
First breathe in then blow very strongly.

Il a soufflé cinquante bougies tout seul.
He blew out fifty candles by himself.

Il s'est brûlé les doigts en touchant les bougies.
He burned his fingers from touching the candles.

Il y a eu un incendie à cause des bougies !
There was a fire because of the candles.

Le gâteau est tout petit pour toutes ces bougies.
The cake is too small for all these candles.

On souffle les bougies avant de manger le gateau.
We blow out the candles before eating the cake.

blague

Tu m'as vraiment fait peur avec ta blague.
You really scared me with your joke.

Je suis vraiment désolé si je t'ai fait peur, je voulais juste te faire une blague.
I'm really sorry if I scared you, I just wanted to make a joke.

Ta blague est nulle, tu m'as fait peur.
You're joke is bad; you scared me.

ça va

Ça va, nous aurons assez de vin pour le repas.
It's fine, we will have enough wine for the meal.

Ça va, tout se passe bien avec les invités.
It's fine, everything is going well with the guests.

Ça va, la musique ne va pas déranger les voisins.
It's fine; the music is not going to bother the neighbors.

Ça va, nous serons finalement à l'heure chez eux.
Ça va,on sera finalement à l'heure chez eux.
It's fine; we will finally be on time to their house.

Ça va, je peux attacher ma robe toute seule.
It's fine, I can tie my dress by myself.

Ça va, ca va by Claude Capeo.

Ça xxx dirait

Ça te dirait d'y aller où tu préfères rester ici ?
Would you like to go there, or do you prefer to stay here?

Ça vous dirait de prendre un verre avec nous ?
Would you like to have a drink with us?

Ça te dirait de sortir en boîte de nuit ?
Would you like to go out to a nightclub?

Ça vous dirait de venir à ma fête d'anniversaire ?
Would you like to come to my birthday party?

Ça me dirait bien, malheureusement, j'en peux pas.
I would really like to, unfortunately I cannot.

en dernier

C'est encore Julie qui est arrivé en dernier.
It's Julie again who arrived last.

Celui qui arrive en dernier doit tout ranger.
The one who arrives last has to tidy everything.

Cet étranger avec une veste à pois est arrivé en dernier.

Ceux qui partent en dernier devront tout éteindre.
Those who leave last will have to turn everything off.

Je suis servi en dernier, il ne reste plus rien.
I'm served last, there is nothing left.

Si vous partez en dernier, fermez la salle à clé.
If you leave last, lock the room.

en premier

C'est plus poli de servir les invités en premier.
It's more polite to serve the guests first.

Celui qui arrive en premier choisit la musique.
The one who arrives first chooses the music.

Luc est parti en premier, accompagné par la police.
Luc left first, accompanied by the police.

On reste près de la table pour se servir en premier.
We stay near the table in order to serve ourselves first.

Épuisés, nous sommes partis de la fête en premier.
Épuisés, on est partis de la fête en premier.
Exhausted, we left the party first.

Et en plus

La fête est nulle et en plus, les invités sont bêtes.
The party sucks, and what's more, the guests are stupid.

On s'ennuie et en plus, c'est trop bruyant.
We're getting bored, and what's more, it's too noisy.

Paul va venir et en plus il emmène son frère.
Paul is going to come & what's more, he is bringing his brother.

Tu fais une fête chez moi, et en plus, tu ne m'invites pas !
Vous faites une fête chez moi, et en plus, vous ne m'invitez pas !
You're having a party at my place, and what's more, you're not inviting me!

Tu reverses le vin, et en plus, tu ne nettoies bien.
You spill the wine and what's more, you're not cleaning anything.

étranger

Bientôt ces invités ne seront plus des étrangers.
Soon these guests will no longer be strangers.

Est-ce ce tu embrasses souvent des étrangers comme ça ?
Do you often kiss strangers like that?

Je me demande vraiment qui est cet étranger là-bas.
I reall wonder who is that stranger over there.

Je ne suis pas une étrangère, je suis ta femme.
I'm not a stranger; I'm your wife.

Qui est ce bel étranger a côté de la fenêtre ?
Qui est cette belle étrangère à côté de la fenêtre ?
Who is that beautiful stranger next to the window?

Voulez-vous prendre un verre, bel étranger ?
Do you want to have a drink, beautiful stranger?

excuse

Et vous avez cru leurs excuses ridicules ?
Et tu as cru leurs excuses ridicules ?
And you believed their ridiculous excuses?

Il trouverait n'importe quelle excuse pour partir.
He would find any excuse to leave.

J'ai de la fièvre, c'est une très bonne excuse !
I have the fever, it's a very good excuse!

Je dois trouver une excuse pour rester chez moi.
I have to find an excuse to stay at my place.

Mon excuse est bonne, il faut me pardoner.
My excuse is good, you have to forgive me.

gardien de but

Ce ballon a appartenu à un gardien de but célèbre.
This ball belonged to a famous goalkeeper.

Je ne serai surtout pas le gardien de but.
I especially will not be the goalkeeper.

Je te présente mon ami Max, il est gardien de but.
I am introducing my friend Max to you, he is a goalkeeper.

Léa joue au handball et elle est gardienne de but.
Léa plays handball & she is goalkeeper.

On joue au foot, c'est toi la gardienne de but.
We play soccer, you're the goalkeeper.

Pourquoi as-tu invité ce gardien de but italien ?
Why did you invite this Italian goalkeeper?

immense

Elle est arrivée dans sa nouvelle voiture immense.
She arrived in her new huge car.

Le parc était immense, on s'y est presque perdus.
The park was huge, we almost got lost there.

Le concert de guitariste a eu un succès immense.
The guitarist's concert was a huge success.

Il y avait une foule immense à leur mariage.
There was a huge crowd at their wedding.

Il a loué un château immense pour y faire une fête
Il a loué un immense château pour y faire la fête.
He rented a huge castle to have a party there.

invités

Bientôt, ces invités ne seront plus des étrangers.
Soon the guests will not be strangers anymore.

C'est plus plus poli de servir les invités en premier.
It's more polite to serve the guests first.

Ce manteau pourrait appartenir à un des invités.
This coat could belong to one of the guests.

J'espère que les invités apparaîtront avant minuit.
I hope the guests will appear before midnight.

magique

Ce n'est pas magique, il cache une carte dans sa main.
It's not magical, he's hiding a card in his hand.

Hier soir, tu as raté une fête absolument magique.
Last night, you missed an absolutely magical party.

Le monstre est devenu prince, c'était magique !
The monster became a prince, it was magical.

Toutes les fêtes que tu organises sont magiques.
All the parties that you organize are magical.

Un dinosaure va apparaître, c'est magique !
A dinosaur is going to appear; this is magical!

passer le bonjour

J'ai vu Alice et elle te passe le bonjour.
I saw Alice and she sends you her regards.

Je ne l'ai pas vu récemment, passe-lui le bonjour.
I haven't seen him recently, give him my regards.

On les a vus à la fête, ils vous passent le bonjour.
We saw them at the party, they give you their regards.

Passez-leur le bonjour quand vous les verrez.
Passer-leur le bonjour quand tu les verras.
Give them my regards when you see them.

Si tu vois Jean, tu lui passeras le bonjour.
If you see Jean, you will give him my regards.

payant

C'est payant, mais la deuxième place est offerte.
There is a fee, but the second seat is free.

Dis-le-nous tout de suite, c'est payant ou gratuit ?
Tell us right away: is there a fee or is it free ?

L'entrée est gratuite, mais les boissons sont payantes.
Admission is free, but there is a fee for the drinks.

L'entrée est payante, tu as de la monnaie ?
There is a fee for admission, do you have change?

Le parking est payant, alors je me gare plus loin.
There is a fee for the parking lot, so I'm parking farther away.

La visite guidée est payante, et elle est cher.
There is a fee for the guided tour, and it's expensive.

La visite guidée en japonaise va bientôt commencé
The guided tour in japanese is going to start soon.

Quoi, l'entrée de la fête ce soir est payante ?
Quoi, c'est payant pour l'entrée de la fête ce soir?
What, there is a fee for admission to the party tonight?

rester

On reste près de la table pour se servir en premier.
We stay near the table in order to serve ourselves first.

Va moins vite, je voulais rester vivant.
Go slower, I would like to stay alive.

le soleil se coucher

Ce soir, le soleil ne se couchera pas pour nous.
Tonight, the sun will not set for us.

Duo sortira dès que le soleil se couchera.
Duo will go out as soon as the sun sets.

En été le soleil se couche plus tard qu'en hiver.
In summer the sun sets later than in winter.

Le soleil se couche, la fête peut commencer.
The sun is setting, the party can begin.

On regarde le soleil se coucher, c'est romantique.
We are watching the sun set; it's romantic.

le soleil se lever

Le soleil se lèvera et la fête continuera encore.
The sun will rise & the party will still continue.

On commence à s'amuser, le soleil se lève déjà ?
Nous commençons à nous amuser, le soleil se lève déjà ?
We're starting to have fun; the sun is already rising?

On ira au lit dès que le soleil se lèvera.
On se couchera dès que le soleil se lèvera.
We will go to bed as soon as the sun rises.

Quand le soleil s'est levé, nous dansions encore.
When the run rose, we were still dancing.

Vous vous couchez quand le soleil se lève ?
Tu te couches quand le soleil se lève ?
You go to bed when the sun rises?

à santé

À ta santé. To your health, cheers.
À votre santé. Cheers.

À ta santé, mon chéri. Cheers, my darling!

Tout le monde est servi, alors, santé !
Everyone is served, so cheers !

Sa femme avait une double vie et il ne s'est rendu compte de rien, pauvre Thomas.
His life led a double life, and he didn't realize anything, poor Thomas.

se situer

La boîte de nuit se situe dans le centre-ville.
The night club is located in the city center.

La bâtiment se situe à l'est de la ville.
The building is located east of the city.

Les toilettes se situent au bout du couloir.
Les W-C se situent au bout du couloir.
The restrooms are located at the end of the hallway.

Personne ne sait où se situera la fête.
Nobody knows where the party will be located.

Tu sais où se situe le resto dont Paul a parlé ?
Do you know where the restaurant Paul talked about is located ?

tenir

Est-ce que tu peux tenir mon verre, s'il te plaît ?
Tu peux tenir mon verre, s'il te plaît ?
Can you hold my glass, please?

Il faut le tenir à deux mains, c'est lourd.
You have to hold it with two hands, it's heavy.

Je ne peux pas le tenir longtemps, c'est lourd !
I can't hold it for a long time, it's heavy!

J'ai dû tenir ses affaires pendant toute la fête.
I had to hold his stuff during the entire party.

Tu peux tenir ça pendant que je sers les invités ?
Can you hold this while I serve the guests?

Faites attention en le tenant, c'est très fragile.
Be careful when holding it, it's very fragile.

Nous tenons bien le plat, alors il ne tombera pas.
On tient bien le plat, alors il ne tombera pas.
We're holding the dish well so it will not fall.

Tenez bien le gâteau, je ne veux pas qu'il tombe.
Hold the cake well, I don't want it to fall.

Tiens-le correctement, sinon tu vas le renverser.
Tiens-la correctement, sinon tu vas la renverser.
Hold it correctly or else you will spill it.

Tu tiendras ça pendant que j'apporte le gâteau ?
Will you hold this while I bring the cake?

la veille

La veille de la fête, j'étais vraiment nerveux.
The day before the party, I was really nervous.

La veille de la fête, rien n'était encore prêt.
The day before the party, nothing was yet ready.

La veille de son anniversaire, il a eu du mal à s'endormir.
The night before his birthday, he had trouble sleeping.

On a annulé la veille à cause des prévisions météo.
Nous avons annulé la veille à cause des prévisions météo.
We cancelled the day before because of the weather forecast.

Tout était prêt la veille pour le lendemain.
Everything was ready the day before for the next day.

Read and respond

Avant que je souffle mes bougies, je voudrais tous vous remercier d'avoir fait le voyage jusqu'ici pour mes trente ans! Alors, Santé !

Personne ne l'invite mais l'oncle Max apparaître toujours la veille de fête. C'est magique, il fait toujours quand il y a un repas gratuit.

okedwardok
Australia

Post by okedwardok »

I thought maybe I was a bad guy seeing how I repeat a variety of lessons while I have my 2x XP which I get from the early bird, night bird plus progressing through my second language.

But this week I'm locked in a death match with someone who has done Animals, the same lesson, six times in one day, Basics, Common and Food a few times as well. True they only get 40xp even when doubled because the XP are halved for a repeat within the same day but even that seems inflated. Getting 40 XP for something you've done already is ludicrous. How do you compete with that, and what time should one do ones first lesson to avoid getting in a group like this! I might still win though!

cannonplug
Ireland

Post by cannonplug »

okedwardok wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:47 am

Getting 40 XP for something you've done already is ludicrous. How do you compete with that,

The different XP values they place on different exercises is really ludicrous. Compare that to the web version, where the most you can get for a practice session is 10 XP. And the most you'll get for a lesson is 15. No way would I be able to stay current in the leagues if I made my profile public. The mobile app is simply not an option for me.

Saperlipopette!

Looks like the change to Duolingo for schools is permanent. No hearts lost because of missing Duolingo translations, no gems required for legendary lessons, and no leagues are the features you get for Duolingo for schools. click click pan pan.

I still have the social features of Duolingo, followers & notices. I usually get one new follower a week & you don't have to worry about them like you had to a few years ago when they put sex ids in their profile. Not being on leagues I don't have to block people who put the piece of crap icon on their leaderboards. I wrote a bug report about that a while ago but some warped brain at Duo thinks it's a really good idea.

I've been using the 15 minute double XP cheating mechanism to do 3-4 legendary practice lessons a session in sets 4-5-6. It turns out that's pretty good practice. There's no time to think about the gender of nouns or the proper conjugations or the finer details of locutions so you have to know them. Every once in a while I'll get 16 speaking questions--an entire lesson where I have to speak sixteen questions, then the last two 'hard' questions are translate English to French. Such a lesson takes about 4 and a half minutes. The biggest problems I have with speaking exercises is numbers and some nasal words like Maintenant.

A few days ago I got a "We accept this translation" email from Duo, so its nice to know they're still keeping up with these. I do have a suspicion that they don't act on these as promptly when you report them on the browser. I think there are some questions that appear only on the app and some that appear only on the browser & the latter ones are the ones with less latitude in accepting answers.

I wish there was a way to set targets for new lessons. If I set targets in Duolingo for schools it applies to the whole classroom.

Return to “Duolingo”