Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Me encanta el café colombiano, es extraordinario. (en → es) Topic is solved

Moderators: Stasia, xillegas

sentence bot 🤖

Me encanta el café colombiano, es extraordinario. (en → es)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

Me encanta el café colombiano, es extraordinario.

en: I love Colombian coffee, it's extraordinary.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/44140167

dochawk
United States of America

Re: Me encanta el café colombiano, es extraordinario. (en → es)

Post by dochawk »

it seems that "columbian cafe" should be permitted here.

I'm not convinced by the old comment that that should be "cafeteria"; that is inconstent with the use of cafe for a cafe through the rest of the course.

Last edited by dochawk on Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
HeavenBender
United States of America

Post by HeavenBender »

I would agree with café, which should be accepted. With a lack of context, both coffee and café should be valid translations.

However, Columbian is not exactly the same thing as Colombian. Colombian means "of the country Colombia". Columbian (colombino) means "of Christopher Columbus" (used in settings outside of the Spanish-speaking world, including the District of Columbia and British Columbia). The country Colombia probably got its name from the Spanish spelling of Columbus.

🇺🇸 N 🇨🇳 N2 🇪🇸 B2 🇧🇷 B1

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dochawk wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:20 pm

No, not at all. First of all, because "columbian" means "pertaining to Christopher Columbus." Second, because you are using "cafe" in singular. If one would like to say that one loves Colombian coffee shops one would need to say it in plural, "Me encantan los cafés colombianos, son extraordinarios," though one would also need to explain that one is referring to the places and not to the beverages.

I'm not confinced by the old comment that that should be "cafeteria"; that is inconstent with the use of cafe for a cafe throught the rest of the course.

Regardless of that or of how Duo uses it, in Spanish, the suffix "-ería" is used to refer to a place where something is sold, as in: panadería, frutería, licorería, vinatería, tortillería, verdulería, etc. Therefore, "cafetería" means "a place where coffee beverages are sold." To refer to the places where coffee beans are sold, in Mexico we have used the expression "expendio de café."

The word coffee comes from the Arabic word qahwah (قهوة) used to refer to the coffee beverage, which then became Kahveh in Turkish, then caffè in Italian, café in French, and also café in Spanish. While each country may have named places to go and drink coffee in their own particular way, the French word café became the most popular way, and has meant to mean a small place where one can eat and also enjoy a coffee, wheras a coffee shop is usually a place where one can enjoy a coffee along with pastries and such. In Mexico the word cafetería is losing popularity, and usually refers to lunch areas at school or work places.

:hash:  ㆍespañol ㆍvocabulario ㆍSentenceDiscussion

Last edited by gmads on Sun May 07, 2023 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

HeavenBender
United States of America

Post by HeavenBender »

In Mexico the word cafetería is losing popularity, and usually refers to lunch areas at school or work places.

By the way, English borrowed the word cafeteria from Spanish with the exact same usage. Here in the United States, we always call the lunch area at school a cafeteria. It certainly sounds like it would have something to do with coffee, but the cafeteria at school is the place where you would least expect to see a cup of coffee.

🇺🇸 N 🇨🇳 N2 🇪🇸 B2 🇧🇷 B1

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

HeavenBender wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:11 pm

but the cafeteria at school is the place where you would least expect to see a cup of coffee.

Yes, indeed! :)

But given its positive effects on the brain, schools should definitely be offering it: long-term effects on brain cells.

But the most interesting concerns the observations made in a learning situation

These data suggest that caffeine acts as a facilitator of the hippocampal response to a memory task, through a concerted action at the level of neuronal and non-neuronal cells.

Moderation, however, is important: Drinking way, way too much coffee might shrink your brain.

------ references

Is Coffee Good for Your Brain?

And, for those able to understand a very technical language:

Antinomy - Imagination

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

gmads wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:57 am

No, not at all. First of all, because "columbian" means "pertaining to Christopher Columbus." Second, because you are using "cafe" in singular. If one would like to say that one loves Colombian coffee shops one would need to say it in plural, "Me encantan los cafés colombianos, son extraordinarios," though one would also need to explain that one is referring to the places and not to the beverages.

But if someone asked you "which cafe you preferred going to, the Spanish one, or the Colombian", couldn't you answer that with this Spanish sentence? In that you could talk about one specific Colombian coffee shop

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

back4morelater wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:42 pm

But if someone asked you "which cafe you preferred going to, the Spanish one, or the Colombian", couldn't you answer that with this Spanish sentence? In that you could talk about one specific Colombian coffee shop

Oh, yes, indeed, you are right. In this case one could answer as mentioned because the question itself made the subject specific as it makes clear that we are talking about two specific cafés, maybe both located in the city or in a mall, one Colombian and the other Spanish.

-- Descubrí dos cafés en el centro, uno colombiano y otro español.
-- Sí, de hecho los conozco bien.
-- ¡Increíble! ¿Y cuál te gusta más?
-- Me encanta el café colombiano, ¡es extraordinario!

Without context the answer implies that coffee (the beverage or the beans) was the subject being talked about. Context allows a coffee shop to also become an acceptable answer.

Good catch! :D

Antinomy - Imagination

dochawk
United States of America

Post by dochawk »

gmads wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:57 am

Second, because you are using "cafe" in singular.

"el café" is a singular coffee shop.

café i used consistently throughout the course for a place to eat. That doesn't mean that cafeteria is not also correct, but is not a sensible reason to reject café.

and whether columbian or columbian, it would apply to both the drink and the diner; it's not a way of distinguishing between them.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dochawk wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:51 am

"el café" is a singular coffee shop.

I know it is singular.

café i used consistently throughout the course for a place to eat. That doesn't mean that cafeteria is not also correct, but is not a sensible reason to reject café.

I never rejected anything. I did quite the opposite, in fact, as I expressed that regardless of anyone's point of view or usage, "cafetería" should not be discarded, that is, it should be accepted.

and whether columbian or columbian, it would apply to both the drink and the diner; it's not a way of distinguishing between them.

Sorry, but are mistaken here. "Columbian" is not the same as "Colombian," to begin with, and second of all, yes, there is a way to distinguish them, as I already explained; that is how language works.

Antinomy - Imagination

dochawk
United States of America

Post by dochawk »

gmads wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:03 am

I never rejected anything.

Unless you're Duo, I'm not suggesting that you did.

:lol:

Sorry, but are mistaken here. "Columbian" is not the same as "Colombian," to begin with, and second of all, yes, there is a way to distinguish them, as I already explained; that is how language works.

That is very much not what I was saying.

Rahether columbian or colombian (if it survives autocorrect this time . . .), the adjective can apply either to the coffee (country of origin) or to the diner (style of food). As such, it doesn't suggest which it is. That is, Colombian coffee would have been grown in Colombia, and a Colombian cafe would serve food such as found in Colombia. Yet both would translate to "café colombiano".

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dochawk wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:48 am

Unless you're Duo, I'm not suggesting that you did.

Indeed, you haven't :) My mistake!

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dochawk wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:48 am

and whether columbian or columbian [...].

"Columbian" is not the same as "Colombian," [...].

That is very much not what I was saying.

Rahether columbian or colombian [...]

In your first post you used the word "columbian," which must definitely have been a typing mistake, but since you have thereafter insisted on including it each and everytime, when there was no actual need to mention it anymore —specially since the subject of this thread is "el café colombiano," not columbiano, and since the issue in question is that of the interpretation of the Spanish word café—, that makes it look as if you are making both words equivalent when they are not.

Just as a reference for anyone interested: Columbian.

Columbian (adjective)

• Of or pertaining to Christopher Columbus, the discoverer of America, or his life or time.
  • Of or from any of the places called Columbia.
  • (dated or poetic) American, from the United States of America
  • Misspelling of Colombian.

Therefore, to talk about a columbian coffee would be to talk about a coffee that either:

Antinomy - Imagination

HeavenBender
United States of America

Post by HeavenBender »

gmads wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:08 pm

Columbian (adjective)

• Of or pertaining to Christopher Columbus, the discoverer of America, or his life or time.
  • Of or from any of the places called Columbia.
  • (dated or poetic) American, from the United States of America

Therefore, to talk about a columbian coffee would be to talk about a coffee that either:

Thanks for sharing that! That's very interesting to know. Now I'm kind of curious about what makes something a "misspelling" that could be qualified to be put into a dictionary. I'm wondering because now I can just say that stationery is a misspelling of stationary.

I know that there are many words in the English language, including irregardless, that are marked NONSTANDARD in the Oxford Dictionary. That means that it was at one point not a word, and it was never supposed to be a word, but it has just crept into the vocabulary banks of so many native speakers that it eventually became a word.

🇺🇸 N 🇨🇳 N2 🇪🇸 B2 🇧🇷 B1

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

HeavenBender wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:06 pm

Columbian (adjective)

Now I'm kind of curious about what makes something a "misspelling" that could be qualified to be put into a dictionary. I'm wondering because now I can just say that stationery is a misspelling of stationary.

I'd say that the term "Columbian" (a less-used word) is marked as a mispelling because it is an actual word with its own meaning, but that it is erroneously used in place of "Colombian" (given the one-letter difference between them), the word most likely intended to be used in the first place.

Antinomy - Imagination

HeavenBender
United States of America

Post by HeavenBender »

gmads wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:38 pm
HeavenBender wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:06 pm

Now I'm kind of curious about what makes something a "misspelling" that could be qualified to be put into a dictionary. I'm wondering because now I can just say that stationery is a misspelling of stationary.

I'd say that the term "Columbian" (a less-used word) is marked as a mispelling because it is an actual word with its own meaning, but that it is erroneously used in place of "Colombian" (given the one-letter difference between them), the word most likely intended to be used in the first place.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I believe Columbian might eventually end up as a proper but non-standard version of Colombian if native speakers insist on using it.

🇺🇸 N 🇨🇳 N2 🇪🇸 B2 🇧🇷 B1

dochawk
United States of America

Post by dochawk »

but since you have thereafter insisted on including it each and everytime, when there was no actual need to mention it anymore

no, not at all. there are a handful of words that come out mistyped almost every single time, even when i try to watch. (including part of the description of my occupation!)

And autocorrct will often do weird things, especially since I have reson use "Columbian" far more than "Colombian" . . .

[and let's face it, when I am using "Colombian", it means I'm looking for my morning coffee . . .]

The only point I was making was not about the proper adjectives, but that Duo is deviating from his normal use of the noun "café" in this context.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dochawk wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:18 am

The only point I was making was not about the proper adjectives, but that Duo is deviating from his normal use of the noun "café" in this context.

I do not know about Duo's other sentences, but in this specific case, given the sentence in Spanish, "me encanta el café colombiano, es extraordinario," the English translation, "I love Colombian coffee, it's extraordinary," is more than precise as that is how most Spanish-speaking people (99%) would translate it into.

Allowing for a very, very specific interpretation is not worth it, instead, they should fix all the errors that currently exist in the learning material (wishful thinking, of course).

Antinomy - Imagination

dochawk
United States of America

Post by dochawk »

so duolingo should stop accepting the common usage of "café" for the english "cafe"

i'm suggesting that it simply accept both, not that it switch!

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dochawk wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:45 am

so duolingo should stop accepting the common usage of "café" for the english "cafe"

i'm suggesting that it simply accept both, not that it switch!

You should carefully review what I have already explained.

Anyway, in my last post I clearly said...

I do not know about Duo's other sentences, but in this specific case

End of transmission.

Antinomy - Imagination

dochawk
United States of America

Post by dochawk »

I had reviewed, quite carefully, what you said.

And if you would do the same, you would find that the entire point, from the very first post, was

that is inconstent with the use of cafe for a cafe through the rest of the course.

Duo usually defaults to "cafè" for "cafe". Not accepting it in the reverse here is a surprise inconsistency that should be fixed.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dochawk wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:45 pm

I had reviewed, quite carefully, what you said.

And if you would do the same, you would find that the entire point, from the very first post, was

that is inconstent with the use of cafe for a cafe through the rest of the course.

Duo usually defaults to "cafè" for "cafe". Not accepting it in the reverse here is a surprise inconsistency that should be fixed.

I know what has been the point from the start, and that is what I explained also from the beginning. So the answer, once again, is no, it shouldn't, for the reasons already expressed.

Antinomy - Imagination

dochawk
United States of America

Post by dochawk »

still missing that the point was never about whether "cafetería" would be a better or correct translation of the english "cafe", but rather that duolingo uniformly uses "café" in this place, and should accept it's own otherwise universal usage when translating from it to english.

whether it should change all of the exercises to use the other word is irrelevant.

i give up; this is pointless.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dochawk wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:44 am

i give up; this is pointless.

:D

Antinomy - Imagination

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Return to “Sentence discussions”