Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What is the story behind your username? Topic is solved

zerogrqvity
United States of America

What is the story behind your username?

Post by zerogrqvity »

hiiiii! :D How are you? I've been thinking and this is what I came up with! Enjoy reading! I know I'll enjoy reading the stories of your usernames! <33 I've always, always wondered,

What is the story behind a username?

The story behind my username is: I was going through Pintrest one day, and I saw username ideas. I saw zero in a username and gravity in a username. I put those together to get: zerogrqityy! Zerogravity, is also a term for Ochako Uraraka! (From an anime)

Anyways, I would love to hear the story behind you guys' usernames!

GO WILD! YAS QUEEN! 8-) :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen: :) ;) :D

Last edited by zerogrqvity on Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

mathemajician
United States of America

Re: What is the story behind your username?

Post by mathemajician »

I used "majic" for years on MUDs, and I teach math, so I glued them together.

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

Wow! That's cool!

Deleted User 1929

Post by Deleted User 1929 »

My name (no not the animal) and my birth year

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

My username for something came from among us randomly generating a username, but it may be another account for something and not Drymice. Drymice was probably from a random name generator, and I probably used it on here to be consistent (the way I use the same name on games, the same name on social media, and Drymice on other random stuff.)

I'm as dry as a mouse and don’t use this anymore.

roy

Post by roy »

Roy is an alias I use :') it was the name of a family friend's corgi and I liked the name so much I started using it in everything

Native: 🇺🇸, Conversational: 🇨🇳, Learning: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 🇬🇷 🇪🇸

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

I'm a passionate traveller who loves to explore new countries, cultures and languages 😍 I have already visited 16 countries in Europe, 9 in America, 5 in Asia and 4 in Africa. I would love to visit Australia and New Zealand in the future.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

roy

Post by roy »

Explorer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:37 pm

I'm a passionate traveller who loves to explore new countries, cultures and languages 😍 I have already visited 16 countries in Europe, 9 in America, 5 in Asia and 4 in Africa. I would love to visit Australia and New Zealand in the future.

that's amazing! may I know all the countries you've visited?

Native: 🇺🇸, Conversational: 🇨🇳, Learning: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 🇬🇷 🇪🇸

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

roy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:44 am

that's amazing! may I know all the countries you've visited?

Sure!

• Europe: besides my country, France, United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Italy, Greece, Portugal, Norway, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Andorra, Vatican City and Monaco.

• America: United States, Mexico, Panama, Cuba, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Brazil and Argentina.

• Asia: China, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam and United Arab Emirates.

• Africa: Egypt, South Africa, Equatorial Guinea and Morocco.

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

The Jacko part is from my dog’s name, Jack. And the 079 part is just a few random numbers because the username Jacko was already taken. :)

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Drymice wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:40 pm

My username for something came from among us randomly generating a username...

I'm a little disappointed that your username is random, Drymice! I thought it was related to an actual colloquial saying.

For some reason I can't read your little "I'm as dry as a mouse" thing without it having a corny Australian accent in my head...

i.e....

"You heading down the pub, Mate?"

"Too right, Mate. I'm as dry as a mouse." 8-)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Deleted User 1414

Post by Deleted User 1414 »

Named after the Japanese cat mind (nihon neko no kokoro). Not my real name. I looked at a cat in my neighborhood and thought about it.

Zimozie
Finland

Post by Zimozie »

I used to play one game (7-8 years ago). The name I was using there, was Zimozie79 (the numbers are random) and I had created that username from my name and then added some "cool" letters which do not appear a lot in an ordinary Finnish text. In Finnish, the "z"-letter is pronounced as "ts" like caTS. So in my native language it sounds like [tsi-mo-tsi-e]. The numbers I chose, were 79 which is pronounced in the spoken Finnish as [seiskaysi], I like the number 7 and it fitted to my username. As time went by, I left that game and moved to another apps. First, I started using this name as my username (Zimozie79) but later on I dropped the numbers because there were no other people using this particular username.

🇫🇮 native, 🇺🇲 C1-B2, 🇫🇷🇮🇱🇸🇪 B2-B1, 🇪🇸 B1-A2, 🇯🇴🇪🇪🇳🇴A2-A1, 🇷🇺🇺🇦🇬🇷🇨🇳 A1
Duolingo profile: https://duome.eu/zimozie77

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

It might be come as a surprise, but my username has nothing to do, with Covid and all this stuff. In fact I chose that name in 2017 when I created my Duolingo account.
At that time I listened to songs of an old wellknown German metalband, at least to me. And one of their song was "Pandemic". And I combined it with "pawn" as a piece.

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

pawndemic wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:17 pm

At that time I listened to songs of an old wellknown German metalband, at least to me. And one of their song was "Pandemic". And I combined it with "pawn" as a piece.

Nice to meet a metal fan here!

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Deleted User 133

Post by Deleted User 133 »

zerogrqvity wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:45 pm

I put those together to get: zerogrqityy!

And what's the story behind swapping a with q? Zerogravity was already taken?

As for my username, my name is Ali. It's originally an Arabic name. In English, it translates into elevated, high, sublime, exalted, noble, etc. So as you can guess, I combined Ali with one of its English counterparts, Elevated, and came up with Alivated.

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

[mention]Alivated[/mention] No, I just wanted put a q there.

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Hello . .

My account name is the same as my name Ranad . .

وترى ظُروفَ الأمسِ صارت بلسَمًا
وهي التي أَعيَتْك حينَ تعسّرتْ

رِنــاد

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Лиса means fox in Russian 🦊

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

These are wonderful stories! Wow!

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

Explorer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:37 pm

I visited Australia for a couple of weeks, it was definitely a nice trip!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Narnia fan. Once upon a time I drew a picture of a flying horse. The Magician's Nephew has a flying horse in it called Strawberry. I called the horse nvimbell. Nvim was based on Hwin in The Horse and his Boy. Corin was the name of the prince Shasta really was. Taking elements from Nvimbell and Corin, I came up with Corinnebelle.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

-Rocket_
United States of America

Post by -Rocket_ »

I went to the moon one time

Hey! I'm -Rocket_. I was pretty active at one point on Duolingo forums, you're a legend if you recognize me ;) . Hope my post helped.

I like to joke

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

@rocket wow!

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

[mention]zerogrqvity[/mention] “Zerogrqvity” is incredibly similar to a couple of names i once gave myself. Uzeromay Gravityentropy. And I have always loved the letter q (but am upset that it now sometimes signifies a dangerous conspiracist cult of bizarre disinformation). Its combination with the letter “u” seems so eloQUent to me that I can’t help but see Vietnamese as an “eloquent” language.

So “Panya Mnyenyekevu” has something to do with a conceit that I wish to be perceived as humble the way mice are perceived as humble. It means “humble mouse (or rat)” in Swahili as far as i know.

🇺🇦

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

There's not much to say about my username - it's very close to my name.

But my picture is the result of (boring) school lessons, mostly German lessons. There is also an O, an N and an I in the same style. ... and many other pictures where I simply coloured in self-designed geometric shapes with coloured pencils during lessons.

(In art lessons, of course, something else was done).

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:58 pm

There's not much to say about my username - it's very close to my name.

But my picture is the result of (boring) school lessons, mostly German lessons. There is also an O, an N and an I in the same style. ... and many other pictures where I simply coloured in self-designed geometric shapes with coloured pencils during lessons.

(In art lessons, of course, something else was done).

Nice artwork.

🇺🇦

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:33 pm

the way mice are perceived as humble.

So I guess I'm humble :D

I'm as dry as a mouse and don’t use this anymore.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Drymice wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:31 pm
panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:33 pm

the way mice are perceived as humble.

So I guess I'm humble :D

I think we call mice “humble” because we see them as very powerless. This is why I clarified it as a matter of perception rather than an actual attribute. “I wish to be perceived as…” humble, but I am not actually humble. I’m arrogant and conceited as I believe some mice are.

🇺🇦

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

[mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention] and what's the origin of your avatar, if I may ask :ugeek:

Return to “Random Thoughts”