Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What is the story behind your username? Topic is solved

Lauren
Dominican Republic

Re: What is the story behind your username?

Post by Lauren »

I've seen a great story about your usernames, and now it's my turn to tell mine.

My username is my real name, and the numbers were chosen at random by Duolingo. The light bulb was chosen because I always have great ideas and inspiration in all the things I do. Plus I like to help others.

Regards for everyone. :)
Lauren

And when you're gone, who remembers your name? Who keeps your flame? Who tells your story?
- Aaron Burr

Native: 🇪🇸 Learning: B1.2: 🇺🇸 ㅤA2.2: 🇫🇷

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

Explorer wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:13 pm

@panyamnyenyekevu and what's the origin of your avatar, if I may ask :ugeek:

This is a chessvariant piece i designed and I forget how it moves now that I’m forced to answer. I did think it moved like either a maorider or a regular knight. But I can’t quickly locate the variant i designed it for. Here is how a maorider moves, described in link. (Maorider Chess is one of my favorite variants!)

https://www.chessvariants.com/rules/maorider-chess

Do you like it? Thanks for asking.

The chess variant community, like the scientific or mathematics community, is very international.

🇺🇦

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Do you play chess? [mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention] I love chess! I used to play a lot when I was younger. I was a club player, participated in tournaments and all that stuff. However, I didn't like the competitive aspect. The higher your ELO is, the more you have to know openings variantions by heart. Now my level must be terrible but I still enjoy the game 😅

PS: I also like backgammon, poker and mus (a traditional Spanish game).

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Explorer wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:35 am

Do you play chess? @panyamnyenyekevu I love chess! I used to play a lot when I was younger. I was a club player, participated in tournaments and all that stuff. However, I didn't like the competitive aspect. The higher your ELO is, the more you have to know openings variantions by heart. Now my level must be terrible but I still enjoy the game 😅

PS: I also like backgammon, poker and mus (a traditional Spanish game).

Well I’m more interested in chess variants than chess. But yes I play and study chess in its current “western” “fide” format everyday. Did you know the largest chess variant known to history was invented in Japan hundreds of years ago? Whole monasteries used to play against each other there, I’ve read.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taikyoku_shogi

Btw you’re probably better than me at chess, Explorer.

🇺🇦

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

My profile name is not so unique. Perhaps , I should have put more thought into it & come up with something fun. Actually , I just came up with one.
I would change, but it’s probably a big hassle.

Probably should have matched my avatar.

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Meli578588 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:30 am

My profile name is not so unique. Perhaps , I should have put more thought into it & come up with something fun. Actually , I just came up with one.
I would change, but it’s probably a big hassle.

Probably should have matched my avatar.

If you could change it, what would you change it to?

🇺🇦

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:33 am

Narnia fan. Once upon a time I drew a picture of a flying horse. The Magician's Nephew has a flying horse in it called Strawberry. I called the horse nvimbell. Nvim was based on Hwin in The Horse and his Boy. Corin was the name of the prince Shasta really was. Taking elements from Nvimbell and Corin, I came up with Corinnebelle.

And there I was thinking that you just couldn't spell Cockatiel, that's your bird in your dinkus, right?

Seriously, Corinnebelle is a lovely name.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]John238922[/mention] It is actually a cockatoo of the sulfur crested variety. Never heard the word dinkus before. I hadn't thought of the fact that the bird in my profile picture starts with the same letter as my username. Cool!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

username
It is my real name and my name means Dew
The reason why I wrote my name is because I always wrote nicknames that I found to describe my personality, such as (Flower dew drop).
But with time, I found that I no longer liked my name and was thinking of changing it too.. In fact, I never liked myself.
So I decided to try to love myself and start loving my name first. So I put my real name as my username because I have to love myself and my personality as it is.

I wish you a happy day 😊🌹🌹🌹

ابتسم دااااائما :D
Always smile ;) :D
🥀🥀

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Alivated[/mention] How do you pronounce that? I keep thinking of alleviated when I read your username.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

[mention]Nada[/mention]

Well, Start liking yourself even more , because “We” all here, like you ! 🦋🦋 I like your name , too.

Lovely name, too unique .:)

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention]
Agreed with above comments. “It is a lovely name. :)

Last edited by Meli578588 on Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

[mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention]
My guitar is Pop plays and taught guitar and how to read sheet music out of college for a while.
Pop taught my brother , too.

Me, I would like to use a beautiful thimble and thread .. One in Italy. I found one like that. For my Nonna and all the seamstresses in my family.
I sew, too , but they design . 😊 They made and can make anything to your heart’s desire ..

Very nice of you to ask. :) I like your profile picture.

P.S. I’m a wicked backgammon player ! Pop taught me to play it and chess, when I was little. You’d whip me in chess !Taught me how to play cards, too. Need practice in all again. However , Backgammon is the easier than chess by far.

Deleted User 133

Post by Deleted User 133 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:51 am

@Alivated How do you pronounce that? I keep thinking of alleviated when I read your username.

It's exactly like Elevated, but with an [æ] sound at the beginning, like the sound the vowel "a" makes in the word "cat" or "bad".

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

Meli578588 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:48 pm

@Nada

Well, Start liking yourself even more , because “We” all here, like you ! 🦋🦋 I like your name , too.

Lovely name, too unique .:)

@Corinnebelle
Agreed with above comments. “It is a lovely name. :)

Thank you and of course your name is as beautiful as your beautiful character Meli :D
You are beautiful with your manners and distinctive
💐🌹

🥀🥀

3rdButterfly
Canada

Post by 3rdButterfly »

To explain my username, lately I've been reading a webtoon called, "The Blood of the Butterfly" and my favorite character's name is Siho, but she's also known as the Third Butterfly. My profile picture is actually of her twin sister, but they're identical, and I couldn't really find a better picture.

cannonplug
Ireland

Post by cannonplug »

My Duolingo user name is simply my first name followed by the initials of my wife's last name and mine. My forum name has two meanings. I used to be an airplane electrician. Airplane electrical connectors are commonly called cannon plugs, because Cannon is or was one of the most common brands of connectors. The name also kind of tells you what I think about wars.

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

[mention]cannonplug[/mention] WOAH THERE! You have a wife?! That's neat!

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

What’s neat is being an airplane electrician!
:)

cannonplug
Ireland

Post by cannonplug »

Meli578588 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:43 pm

That was a long time ago in another lifetime. The job is indeed "neat", but the job conditions were not so good. So I left after 10 years. :?

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

cannonplug wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:23 pm
Meli578588 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:43 pm

That was a long time ago in another lifetime. The job is indeed "neat", but the job conditions were not so good. So I left after 10 years. :?

Sad, but I can understand why!

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

[mention]Nada[/mention] 🦋🦋 Not many people like my name, it's McKenna. I once was role-playing with somebody, they asked what my name was and when I told them my name, they said, "That's an ugly name." And everyday a lot of people said that. I started faking my name, but then I grew out of it. It took like 2 years, though. Your name is more than beautiful! [mention]Meli578588[/mention] 🦋🦋 Yours is aswell! It's nice not having a name that everyone has. For example, Olivia, Katie, Layla, Emily, Emma ,Mia, Ava, Sophia, Isabella, Charlotte, Aaliyah, Abigail, Noah, Jake, Jake, Liam, Oliver, Elijah, Lucas, Benjamin, James, David, etc. Somtimes not fitting in with other people is just as fun as fitting in. 🦋🦋
🦋 I don't need your wings to fly~ 🦋

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]zerogrqvity[/mention], I think it also depends on where you live. Names like Aaliyah or Ava aren't much used here. And it's also a kind of fashion. My name, Claudia, isn't very rare, but also not that common.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

[mention]IceVajal[/mention] I love your name, but yes, I get it!

Nada
Egypt

Post by Nada »

zerogrqvity wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:25 pm

@Nada 🦋🦋 Not many people like my name, it's McKenna. I once was role-playing with somebody, they asked what my name was and when I told them my name, they said, "That's an ugly name." And everyday a lot of people said that. I started faking my name, but then I grew out of it. It took like 2 years, though. Your name is more than beautiful!

You must love your name, love yourself, love everything that belongs to you as you are, and do not care what anyone says. Also, your name is not ugly, it is special and rare as well.💐💐💐🌹🌹

And keep your smile
😊😊😊😊

The person who dares to tell a girl that your name is ugly, this is a very bad person.. and I hate this kind of person..

You should not hate your name because of the words of people who do not know who you are and who did not deal with you before, because the truth is that they do not know you, and because if they knew and loved you. They will give you respect and never say that.

🥀🥀

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Last year this were the top ten names in Germany....

Girls:
Emilia, Hannah, Mia, Emma, Sophia, Mila, Lina, Ella, Lea, Marie

Boys:
Matteo, Noah, Leon, Finn, Elias, Paul, Ben, Luca, Emil, Louis

Source: https://www.beliebte-vornamen.de/jahrgang/j2021

Here are the list from 2011....
https://www.beliebte-vornamen.de/jahrgang/j2011

These names you'll hear a lot now. Usually names stay in the top ten for a few years, than they almost disappear. Other are popular for a long time.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]zerogrqvity[/mention] Mckenna has a nice Irish ring to it. It's quite pretty actually.

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

Had I known that this forum exists, I would have chosen MorningGlory as my username. My username is just a combination of two first names, which happen to be my wife's and mine.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Chrisinom wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:53 pm

Had I known that this forum exists, I would have chosen MorningGlory as my username. My username is just a combination of two first names, which happen to be my wife's and mine.

I think I understand the construction. So: my husband could have the same username...

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Chrisinom[/mention] Your name could almost be chrysanthemum.

Deleted User 1414

Post by Deleted User 1414 »

Japanese young man's name Ren Riku Haruto Ao Ryo Young woman's name Himari Yui Mei Mio Hina Old man's name Hiroshi Takashi Manabu Ryoji Old woman's name Takako Yoshiko Noriko Hitomi Yukie I don't really care about this.

Return to “Random Thoughts”