Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

I would like to have "proverbs" as a subforum of English - French

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

I would like to have "proverbs" as a subforum of English - French

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

lately I have been dealing with French proverbs from time to time, e.g. the verb "mettre"

Since the meaning of proverbs is not always immediately obvious, I would like to have a subforum where only proverbs - preferably with their meanings, English translation - can be stored.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: To-Do

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I don't know if this is the right place for my request

viewtopic.php?t=5107-i-would-like-to-ha ... ish-french

I think a subforum "proverbs" could be a good thing for some languages: EN- ESP, EN-FR....

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Re: To-Do

Post by Upbeat 88 »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:05 pm

I don't know if this is the right place for my request

viewtopic.php?t=5107-i-would-like-to-ha ... ish-french

I think a subforum "proverbs" could be a good thing for some languages: EN- ESP, EN-FR....

putting this in requests would be helpful

duome

Re: I would like to have "proverbs" as a subforum of English - French

Post by duome »

French: viewforum.php?f=434
Spanish: viewforum.php?f=435

I'm not the only one to decide the structure of the forums so I'm not sure if it's the right place or shall we make it a default structure for every other language as well?

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

duome wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:29 am

shall we make it a default structure for every other language as well?

Yeah! Good idea!

🇺🇦

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

On the internet there are great collections of proverbs for Hausa. Just saying. Google to see them.

🇺🇦

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:09 pm

shall we make it a default structure for every other language as well?

Yeah! Good idea!

[mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention] thats sounds like a great idear

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I'm not the only one to decide the structure of the forums so I'm not sure if it's the right place or shall we make it a default structure for every other language as well?

Thank you very much.

I fear in the forums of most other languages is not enough traffic.

Everything can be found there quite easily

Ok: I could provide idioms for the EN - DE forum if someone wants some

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:00 pm

Thank you very much.

I fear in the forums of most other languages is not enough traffic.

Everything can be found there quite easily

Building for the future and inviting to share. Is my concept [mention]duome[/mention]

🇺🇦

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:20 pm

Building for the future and inviting to share. Is my concept @duome

But very many forum/subforum structures look totally different now.

...And that has its justification (I think)

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:26 pm

The forums i moderate look minimal now but I aspire to be more like Basler Biker and have lots of structure one day in the future.

🇺🇦

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:00 pm
MoniqueMaRie wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:26 pm

The forums i moderate look minimal now but I aspire to be more like Basler Biker and have lots of structure one day in the future.

My 2 cents worth:

These forums are already over-structured.

Who knows what the difference is between Random Thoughts and Discussions? Between Requests>Standard (extensions), Non-standard, and General?

Leave and encourage users to use the search function intelligently.

Please stop adding sub-forums

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Or... maybe each forum could develop in its own way... according to its own needs? I, for example, have just proposed a new forum that would not fit under any other than the Spanish one.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]gmads[/mention] I agree. I have an alephbet forum in the Hebrew forum. Perhaps some people are going to have kanji or what not, but each forum is different and may evolve over time. Perhaps in some ways mine is too structured. I am still trying to get the balance between structured and overstructured.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Post by duome »

John238922 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:16 pm

Propose a better structure and we'll follow your advice ;)

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

duome wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:29 am

Propose a better structure and we'll follow your advice ;)

Just leave the existing structure and encourage users to use the Search facility

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

They are so because of a lack of definition. They are too ambiguous.

Who knows what the difference is between Random Thoughts and Discussions? Between Requests>Standard (extensions), Non-standard, and General?

Exactly.

I see two issues in here.

1. Ambiguity. Categories are too general.
  2. In most forum sites, forums include not only a title and a list of moderators, but also a description. What is one suppossed to understand from just "Standard (extensions)" or "Non-standard", without any other kind of information?

I worked on IT most of my life, and one thing I can truly attest to is that leaving anything to users is a lost cause: they will never do what is expected of them.

As a reference, just analyze any of the longest threads at duo's remaining forums.

1. I dare anyone to count how many repeated, identical "x should be a valid answer" entries are there.
  2. I also challenge anyone to see how many "that has already been answered" entries are there... showing that most people just get in and place their question without making the least effort to... I won't even risk using the word "read," but "quickly browse" to see if their question has already been answered... impossible.

What a great example of an "oxymoron."

I think this could be rephrased as:

1. Please stop adding ambiguous sub-forums
  2. Check and fix/reorganize any current ambiguous sub-forums
  3. Allow specific, high-quality (i.e. interesting) sub-forums to be created
  4. If someone requests a sub-forum to be created, then (a) allow that someone to moderate it (in other words, if more manpower is needed, let people take charge), and (b) that someone must give adequate reasons about their request

Peace.

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍgeneral ㆍdebate ㆍduome

Last edited by gmads on Wed May 10, 2023 4:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:00 pm

[...] I aspire to be more like Basler Biker and have lots of structure one day in the future.

Respect for [mention]Basler Biker[/mention] :!:

swedish ... one moderator only!

Other languages have more moderators in charge but are reluctant to create more forums.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

I saw that in Spanish a Proverbs forum was added.

Did anyone ask for it to be created, or was it created just to keep up with what is happening at other languages?

From my point of view, another aspect to take into consideration has to do with the activity the forum is going to have. I mean, I've seen some with only a few entries. Are they really worth keeping them? And by "activity" I mean not necessarily activity from those answering or commenting on the thread, but from those creating the threads. I make this distinction because some subjects may not motivate comments, but they may have a large number of topics, and be quite visited and read, which is what one would expect from a good forum.

Finally, are forums set in stone? Given some of the discussions in this thread, it would seem like they are... when they shouldn't be.

So, if a request meets the required criteria, then let it be created and give it a chance to come to life. If it does, great, if it doesn't, then its content gets to be merged into a general forum and voilà, problem solved.

duome

Post by duome »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:00 pm

viewforum.php?f=436-proverbs - this could be renamed if you like.

gmads wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:17 am

... let it be created and give it a chance to come to life. If it does, great, if it doesn't, then its content gets to be merged into a general forum and voilà, problem solved.

Exactly. So let's just see if it fits and rearrange if it doesn't.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

My 2 cents worth:

I agree. If it was up to me, I would keep it as simple and minimalist as possible. From my point of view so many subforums may be overwhelming for some users, especially if they are coming here for the first time. Moderators have discussed this issue in the past, and I think we should still make an effort to make Duome a more user-friendly site. The current structure is not the final structure in any way.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Explorer wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 am

My 2 cents worth:

I agree. If it was up to me, I would keep it as simple and minimalist as possible. From my point of view so many subforums can be overwhelming for some users, especially if they are coming here for the first time. Moderators have discussed this issue in the past, and I think we should still make an effort to make Duome a more user-friendly site. The current structure is not the final structure in any way.

The two sub-forums I asked for so far were ones where I plan/planned to write something myself:
for German I asked for a sub-forum "Erfolge" (achievements) like it exists and is used in the English forum.

I asked for proverbs in EN- FR because I'm working on it at the moment and it's nice to be able to find these particular expressions more quickly. When I used to learn DE-EN (some time ago), I had a whole book on proverbs - easier to find them.

Doing the same for EN-ES was just a suggestion, but it was supported by others. I am not learning Spanish myself.

But I agree that some forums are clearly overstructured and therefore confusing. F.e. in EN-DE I never knew what is the difference between "language" and "practice"

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 am

[...] I would keep it as simple and minimalist as possible.

In general terms, and being a minimalist myself, I agree on the goal. However, if that goal impedes or restricts the natural and useful growth of whatever the subject may be, then the goal should definitely need to be reconsidered.

I think that if those in charge should focus this whole forum issue as it were an encyclopaedia; maybe that would help in seeing and establishing how forums could be reestructured in the most efficient way.

Are these forums only to discuss Duo's sentences and to let people write about their achievements, and anything else to be then grouped under a "general" category? I say this in a rhethorical way, of course, just to clarify the main idea.

I once read that when designing a public park, architects and city planners in Japan would not create any paths, or maybe just a basic few, to then let the most useful paths to arise by themselves, that is, according to the paths that people would walk the most. Organic growth defined by the users themselves!

How does the Google search engine works? Same idea. The sites that have the most useful information for users or that are the most referenced are the ones that will organically rise to the top.

So, if you ask me, I would definitely vote for and support a relaxed organic approach where forums may be seen as experiments in Petri dishes, where topics will act as agar, thus, good, interesting, and useful topics will motivate growth.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:32 pm

Doing the same for EN-ES was just a suggestion, but it was supported by others. I am not learning Spanish myself.

Sorry, I was not actually trying to question you or anyone else :)

My questioning was more about the reason behind that forum being created.

Given that the growth and structure of the forums should depend (imnsho) on actual requests from people willing to actually work on the content —not just to open two or three threads and then let the forum rot—, I would definitely have not created a En-Sp Proverbs forum if it was not actually requested by anyone.

Creating a forum just out of a "suggestion," just to see if "someone" will start using it, or just to comply or imitate other language forums' structures, seems to me quite ironical as it goes exactly against what is being discussed in here: having too many [scarcely used or chaotic] forums.

Peace.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

gmads wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:46 pm
MoniqueMaRie wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:32 pm

Sorry, I was not actually trying to question you or anyone else :)

My questioning was more about the reason behind that forum being created.

Given that the growth and structure of the forums should depend (imnsho) on actual requests from people willing to actually work on the content —not just to open two or three threads and then let the forum rot—, I would definitely have not created a En-Sp Proverbs forum if it was not actually requested by anyone.

Creating a forum just out of a "suggestion," just to see if "someone" will start using it, or just to comply or imitate other language forums' structures, seems to me quite ironical as it goes exactly against what is being discussed in here: having too many [scarcely used or chaotic] forums.

Peace.

I fully agree with you. I would only open forums when someone is willing to fill them with life.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:46 pm

I fully agree with you. I would only open forums when someone is willing to fill them with life.

Well, you got it after all :)

Cheers and make it flourish!

Return to “Requests new Duome features”