Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Do any of you enjoy listening to your target language even when you don't understand it?

Corinnebelle

Do any of you enjoy listening to your target language even when you don't understand it?

Post by Corinnebelle »

Just a random question. Do you enjoy the sound of your target language?

I enjoy the guttural parts of Hebrew and the general chatter. I sit and listen at times just to here the rhythm of it even though I don't understand it. Well I do understand a bit, but not much and it is so fast I can't keep up either!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Re: Do any of you enjoy listening to your target language even when you don't understand it?

Post by duome »

I love it. The languages and all the different accents, like British English vs Australian, or variations of Spanish, etc. - they all are fascinating, and even more so when you recognise them and try to learn to speak the same way, and even if you don't quite succeed, it's a pure pleasure to listen.

Deleted User 114

Re: Do any of you enjoy listening to your target language even when you don't understand it?

Post by Deleted User 114 »

I do! I love the sound of the Arabic language. :)

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

Me too! For a few months I have been living with a family that speaks a dialect of "fula" that I have not been able to learn. And I'm amazed at the guttural sounds, forced pauses, and whistles between words.

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

MatOzone wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:46 am

Me too! For a few months I have been living with a family that speaks a dialect of "fula" that I have not been able to learn. And I'm amazed at the guttural sounds, forced pauses, and whistles between words.

Something guttural sounds like it would be horrible, but the rough sound is actually something I enjoy. I imagine Hebrew was a lot more guttural once upon a time. Some of those consonants have lost their gravel.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

Yez, I love watching Japanese movies (mostly Godzilla stuff) and movies in French (mostly Tintin stuff.)

Last edited by Drymice on Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm as dry as a mouse and don’t use this anymore.

mathemajician
United States of America

Post by mathemajician »

Yes, and I especially love songs (folk-type songs mostly).

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

ah, yes! I love to watch Spanish movies! (Japanese too, anime! :D)

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

I listened to Russian bands already in the 1980's! Long before I had the idea to learn the language.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

IceVajal wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:10 pm

I listened to Russian bands already in the 1980's! Long before I had the idea to learn the language.

That's nice! I started listening to Japanese and Spanish songs before, as well. I mean, maybe not spanish; because I've been learning Spanish since kindergarten, but you get the point.

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

When I was a kid, my mom was watching what's now called European Song Contest and I liked that the singers had to sing in the official language of the country they represented. Somehow one of the songs I remember still was the winner of 1979!

Deleted User 1929

Post by Deleted User 1929 »

First I started listening to Kpop then I got into Kdrama but after hearing the language so often I got really interested in it and enjoyed listening to it in general. That’s how I decided to learn it Korean.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

I actually like the female (presumably robot) voice on the Duo Romanian course.

"She" sounds realy perky/lively/positive/lilting sometimes. Always makes me smile! :)

Last edited by Davey944676 on Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

I do and I also enjoy listening to languages even if they are not my target languages. In fact, one of the most beautiful languages I have ever heard is a conlang...

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, I really like the sound of French! ;)

French has been my favorite language since high school. I really like the sound of this language and I listen to French songs a lot. I like Mirelle Mathieu because she has such a beautiful clear voice and I listen to her with pleasure! hehe :)

...please listen to this song:

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

mathemajician
United States of America

Post by mathemajician »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:56 pm

French has been my favorite language since high school. I really like the sound of this language and I listen to French songs a lot. I like Mirelle Mathieu because she has such a beautiful clear voice and I listen to her with pleasure! hehe :)

I absolutely love Mirelle Mathieu. I could listen to her all day.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

mathemajician wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:53 pm

I absolutely love Mirelle Mathieu. I could listen to her all day.

Hi, welcome to the Mirelle Mathieu Lovers Club, I can listen to her all day too! ;)

.... there are many nice songs on this page that I recommend to relax:

https://duolingo.hobune.stream/comment/36419639

buho

Post by buho »

I don't think opposite would be true.
if you don't enjoy listening to the language you're learning, then you won't have much motivation to continue.
the only scenario where I see this could occur is when you're forced to learn that language.
e.g: college/school curriculum or learning a language for job(learning english is a chore for some).

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I do. I love foreign films.

I understand Italian and some French , but I also watch Japanese, Chinese , even Swedish ones.

I really enjoy them. Hopefully, some day I can take off the words to them all. !

🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

I wonder ifany of you use the android app called Radio Garden. It shows app and zooms in to local radio stations. I listen to Russian whilst washing up after a meal or whilst working in my garden. I don't understand 99% of it because they speak so fast but some of it soaks in because I remember snippets of conversation.

Tuning to films on Amazon prime or Netflix are another background noise to try.

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]Steve579062[/mention], I haven't used it yet. I listen to a podcast for language learners. They speak a bit slower and I can pick up some words.

Zimozie
Finland

Post by Zimozie »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:25 pm

Just a random question. Do you enjoy the sound of your target language?

I enjoy the guttural parts of Hebrew and the general chatter. I sit and listen at times just to here the rhythm of it even though I don't understand it. Well I do understand a bit, but not much and it is so fast I can't keep up either!

If I don't understand speech in my target language at all, I get more excited to learn it.
If I understand a bit, it makes me super excited.
If I understand most of it, I'm happy with that.
If I understand everything, I don't like it because there's not a lot to learn anymore.

🇫🇮 native, 🇺🇲 C1-B2, 🇫🇷🇮🇱🇸🇪 B2-B1, 🇪🇸 B1-A2, 🇯🇴🇪🇪🇳🇴A2-A1, 🇷🇺🇺🇦🇬🇷🇨🇳 A1
Duolingo profile: https://duome.eu/zimozie77

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Steve579062[/mention] Yes, I've heard of radio garden. Tried it a couple of times too.

[mention]Zimozie[/mention] Sounds like you always need something to learn!

Pinta
United States of America

Post by Pinta »

I'm learning Russian right now, and I absolutely love the sound of it!

Native 🇰🇷 Fluent 🇺🇸 Learning 🇷🇺 & 🇪🇸

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Can't believe I didn't mention Welsh - a naturally musical and expressive language!

I sometimes listen to a Welsh-speaking BBC FM station when walking. They often play really good and original music, and the voices of the presenters are themselves a pleasure to listen to - even if I'm just picking up a word or phrase occasionally and guessing most of what they are saying! ;)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Davey944676 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:59 am

Can't believe I didn't mention Welsh - a naturally musical and expressive language!

I sometimes listen to a Welsh-speaking BBC FM station when walking. They often play really good and original music, and the voices of the presenters are themselves a pleasure to listen to - even if I'm just picking up a word or phrase occasionally and guessing most of what they are saying! ;)

Davey, I think you know I'm learning Welsh so please send me some nice Welsh songs! :mrgreen:

(in Polish)
Davey, chyba wiesz, że uczę się walijskiego, więc proszę Cię o przesłanie mi ładnych, walijskich piosenek! 😏

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Some of the best tracks I hear on (Welsh-speaking) BBC Radio Cymru / Radio Cymru 2 are new or niche, and hard to find on Utube. One can try to access the BBC Radio Cymru site on BBC Sounds directly via the links below ↓↓

Danuto, oczywiście wyślę Ci piosenki walijskich muzyków! Niektóre z najlepszych utworów, które słyszę w BBC Radio Cymru / Radio Cymru 2, są nowe lub niszowe i trudno je znaleźć na Utube - ale znajdę sposób na kopiowanie i wysyłanie najlepszych utworów. :)

Lub - spróbuj wejść bezpośrednio na stronę BBC Radio Cymru ↓↓

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/schedules/bbc_radio_cymru

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/schedules/ ... io_cymru_2

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Post by ElmerRamone »

I like listening to lots of languages . French always sounds romantic, Russian sounds so forceful, and I love the guttural sounds of German. Japanese is musical. As for my target language, I often have telenovelas playing on the TV while I do random chores. Just the intonations and the dramatic speech enchant me. And there's the bonus points for understanding a bit of it. Let's face it, everything sounds fancier than English. Especially since English is being corroded little by little by social media. (Don't come after me, I only speak the truth.)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

...please listen to this song:

She sings in German too. But indeed songs "long ago" were in general articulated way better than what you hear in today's music. Some newer Dutch singers are incomprehensible !! Dutch sung by "Kinderen voor kinderen" 20 years ago, was very well articulated, the newer "kinderen voor kinderen" songs are not.

Il est dommage que les gens en général ne fassent plus attention à leur langue.

We liked a lot listening to the French dubbed version of "The Paradise" (original in English)
Such a nice "idiom" (way of speaking) too, more than just the words or the sounds ...

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Hello, @Basler Biker!

To be honest, I like listening to older songs because, as you say:
"were in general articulated way better than what you hear in today's music."

Yes, it's true that Mireille Mathieu also sings in German.

.. this song is one of my favorites:

Mireille Mathieu -La Paloma Ade-

I will add that: "for over 50 years of artistic work, she has recorded nearly 1,200 songs in 11 languages."

... haven't listened to that French dubbed version of "The Paradise" (original in English) yet - I'll have to look it up on the internet and listen to it. ...

Have a nice day. 🙂

Return to “Random Thoughts”