Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Is a straight line the fastest way between two points?

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Is a straight line the fastest way between two points?

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

Depends!

6C8C7633-41A2-4D5E-A1C1-A4AB9759732E.gif
6C8C7633-41A2-4D5E-A1C1-A4AB9759732E.gif (27.1 KiB) Viewed 436 times

🇺🇦

Corinnebelle

Re: Is a straight line the fastest way between two points?

Post by Corinnebelle »

Which two points are we talking about?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

I'm not sure what it's supposed to represent...is it some sort of perspective thing?

Whatever it is, that little animation is somehow rather soothing and satisfying to watch..... :geek:

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Davey944676 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:27 am

I'm not sure what it's supposed to represent...is it some sort of perspective thing?

Whatever it is, that little animation is somehow rather soothing and satisfying to watch..... :geek:

🇺🇦

mathemajician
United States of America

Post by mathemajician »

A (somewhat related) cartoon I've always loved.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Thanks pany and mathy, but my browser settings are a bit blocking many Twitter et al things, and it's too late and complicated right now for me to rset them! :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Davey944676 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:54 pm

Thanks pany and mathy, but my browser settings are a bit blocking many Twitter et al things, and it's too late and complicated right now for me to rset them! :)

Text of tweet by @Rainmaker1973 (<—- twitter handle)

One property of the lemniscate of Bernoulli is that a ball rolling down an arc of the lemniscate under the influence of gravity, will take the same time to traverse it as a ball rolling down a straight line segment connecting the endpoints of the arc buff.ly/2FU0i5c

🇺🇦

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Now I get it, maybe! Basically the influence of centrifugal force combined with gravity has a greater pull than gravity alone. Is there some sort of triangle effect in play here?

I didn't understand gravity was at play in the gif, I notice that dot that goes round slows down as it returns to center. Why is that?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:33 pm

Now I get it, maybe! Basically the influence of centrifugal force combined with gravity has a greater pull than gravity alone. Is there some sort of triangle effect in play here?

I didn't understand gravity was at play in the gif, I notice that dot that goes round slows down as it returns to center. Why is that?

“Triangle effect?” What’s that?

The dot slows down because it’s going uphill.

I don’t understand the math and physics well enough to understand it myself, but it seems deeply intuitive and meaningful and it’s related to the tautochrone or isochronous curve and the brachistochrone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tautochrone_curve

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachistochrone_curve

[mention]Davey944676[/mention] [mention]Nineko[/mention] [mention]duome[/mention] [mention]mathemajician[/mention]

🇺🇦

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Ok, so this is a special curve. I was wondering if the ball goes faster depending on the angle of the curve. [That's what I meant by triangular effect, depending on the curve on a graph. Not very smart I know.] That is a very interesting video. The isochronous curve is like what happens when you stretch out a circle. So what is the secret that makes the ball go faster on a curve than straight?

Return to “Random Thoughts”