Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Cheating on Duolingo stories

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Drymice

Cheating on Duolingo stories

Post by Drymice »

Does anyone know why even tho Duolingo is 'still improving', you're still able to cheat on Duolingo stories by highlighting the text to see what words to fill in? And why you cna literally just spam the writing exercises with words in your target language to get an easy 10 xp (i know that's probably just the machines, but still)?

I'm as dry as a mouse.

HeavenBender
United States of America

Re: Cheating on Duolingo stories

Post by HeavenBender »

From the perspectives of some users, this could be cheating. However, I believe that there is no such thing as "cheating" when it comes to learning the content and practicing your skills. I think Duolingo only does that as a way to allow people to get a hint when they're stuck.

I hope that helps!

🇺🇸 N 🇨🇳 N2 🇪🇸 B2 🇧🇷 B1

flootzavut
Great Britain

Post by flootzavut »

Yeah, what HeavenBender said. The only person you're actually cheating is yourself. You could sit with Google translate and probably get a course finished & to level 25, but what would be the point if you didn't learn anything 🤷🏻

-Rocket_
United States of America

Post by -Rocket_ »

HeavenBender wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:42 pm

I think Duolingo only does that as a way to allow people to get a hint when they're stuck.

That isn't always true. I know I used to do that at one point all the time, just to get free XP. (I don't anymore).

A lot of users do use this to cheat. There really isn't any way to change this, it's more like a glitch than a feature.

Hey! I'm -Rocket_. I was pretty active at one point on Duolingo forums, you're a legend if you recognize me ;) . Hope my post helped.

I like to joke

HeavenBender
United States of America

Post by HeavenBender »

-Rocket_ wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:46 pm
HeavenBender wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:42 pm

I think Duolingo only does that as a way to allow people to get a hint when they're stuck.

That isn't always true. I know I used to do that at one point all the time, just to get free XP. (I don't anymore).

A lot of users do use this to cheat. There really isn't any way to change this, it's more like a glitch than a feature.

Actually, yes, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for bringing that up. I just read the OP again, and I just found out that they were referring to highlighting the text (not using hover hints). That seems more like a glitch, and simply telling users what to fill in doesn't really help them improve as much as assisting them in finding out what a word means.

🇺🇸 N 🇨🇳 N2 🇪🇸 B2 🇧🇷 B1

Return to “Duolingo”