Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

שלום־עליכם און זײַ געזונט. (en → yi)

sentence bot 🤖

שלום־עליכם און זײַ געזונט. (en → yi)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

שלום־עליכם און זײַ געזונט.

en: Hello and goodbye.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/52896361

Corinnebelle

Re: שלום־עליכם און זײַ געזונט. (en → yi)

Post by Corinnebelle »

שלום־עליכם Peace on you?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]EranBarLev[/mention] Any chance you could answer this? I know Yiddish isn't Hebrew, but these words look like they came from Hebrew.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:15 am

@EranBarLev Any chance you could answer this? I know Yiddish isn't Hebrew, but these words look like they came from Hebrew.

שלום עליכם is Hebrew for "peace upon you (plural masculine)". און זײַ געזונט is German for "and your health" if I'm not mistaken (but I don't really speak German).

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Thanks [mention]EranBarLev[/mention]! I just wanted to check I'd got that right. Yes, don't know much German either but I think you say something like געזונט when you sneeze. Gerzuntide? I know you say healthy in English! Or bless you! Don't know where that custom came from with the remarks about sneezing. A prayer you aren't getting sick?

OCgXt4Pu
Poland

Post by OCgXt4Pu »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] Gesundheit! And it's indeed related. I just barely started with Yiddish, but my understanding is that זײַ געזונט simply means be healthy; and, according to random Internet sources, it can be used not only as a parting phrase but in response to sneezing too.

Return to “Yiddish”