Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] The Hebrew Alphabet for Dummies

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

[ARCHIVE] The Hebrew Alphabet for Dummies

Post by Corinnebelle »

zion11dotcom wrote:

Here i show the Aleph-Bet in the order i think will help you most, it's not the traditional order but instead it shows the letters that look similar one after the other so you can compare them and notice the differences :)

א aleph: silent or vowel-like (usually A)

ע ayin: silent or vowel, usually A or E (watch it, it kinda looks like tzadei)

צ tzadei: TZ, when it's the final letter in a word it looks like this ץ

ב bet: B or V (watch it, looks a bit like nun

נ nun: N, but when final it's a line like this ן

ו vav: O or U or V (watch it, looks like final nun)

ז zayin: Z (does it look a bit like vav? not so much)

י yod: Y or vowel i (it's tiny, so no confusion here)

ג gimel: G

ד dalet: D (watch it, looks like resh ר

ר resh: R

כ caf: C (like K) or CH gutural as in Bach, when final it looks similar to resh, like this ך

ק kof: K or Q

ח khet: CH gutural (watch it, looks like hei and tav)

ה hei: H

ת tav: T

ט tet: also T (watch it, looks like samekh)

ס samekh: S

מ mem: M (does it look a bit like samekh?) final mem looks like this ם

ש shin: SH or S

ל lamed: L

פ peh: P or F, when final looks like this ף

A brief note on transliteration of Hebrew letters to english phonetic: There are different ways to transliterate Hebrew-to-English and in this "dummies" version i have chosen what i hope is the easiest way for a newbie to learn how to identify and pronounce hebrew letters. For example the letter כ looks like an inverted C (easy right?) so i called it "Caf" but unfortunately most people write it as "Kaf", and in some qwerty keyboards it is found where K is. On the other hand the letter ק looks like a k and sounds like a k (again very easy to remember) so i called it "Kof", but sadly it's usually written as "Qof" and in some keyboards it's found under Q. Actually letter ק‎ may be transliterated as C (Isaac), K (Yitzchak) or Q (Qehila) and the same goes for כ ... so there's no right or wrong, just a matter of preference. Imho as long as you learn how to say it, you're off to a good start.

For more detailed information, here's an article about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Hebrew

Archive of comments

If you don't want your post on here, please notify me immediately.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Alefbet”