Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Contrasting noun-verb stress

Subforums: Achievements · Random Thoughts · Discussions
I'm learning... select your target language from this list

Moderators: Jacko079, Basler Biker

Corinnebelle

Contrasting noun-verb stress

Post by Corinnebelle »

I read about this here. Apparently this doesn't always hold water, but it works for a lot of words.

See optimacomm's article

Basically if you use a word as a noun and also as a verb, you stress the first syllable when using it as a noun and the second as a verb. From the reddit comments this is a first/second syllable contrast if you have more syllables in a word.

Examples:

object, progress, present, desert

I object about the object of this investigation.

As you progress through life, are you making progress towards your goals?

I present you with a priceless present.

He will desert, if we travel through the desert.

Just one of the quirks of English, and something those learning English might find informative.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Re: Contrasting noun-verb stress

Post by Corinnebelle »

Another couple of interesting things I learnt from 24 Facts That Cross Too Much Into Common Sense That I Feel Like I've Been Missing Something

'Thee' and 'thou' were actually the informal forms. The King James Bible used them so that the relationship with God would seem more personal.

Who knew! Apparently English had more pronoun categories than they do now, with you being polite and thee being for friends and family. Ye was the plural "you" as opposed to thou for singular.

The plural version of cul-de-sac is culs-de-sac.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “I speak English”