Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to progress in leagues

Tips and tricks ...

Explorer
Portugal

Re: How to progress in leagues

Post by Explorer »

Last week I almost got demoted with over 4,000 experience points, but whatever. I just want to keep learning at my own pace :geek:

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Explorer wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:43 pm

Last week I almost got demoted with over 4,000 experience points, but whatever. I just want to keep learning at my own pace :geek:

And I thought I was unlucky that time I got demoted on 1,200. 4,000 to stay in? Whatever that comes to on the app, on the browser that's 39-58 lessons a day.

Native language: 🇬🇧. Novice getting towards rookie: 🇪🇸. Beginner: 🇬🇷, 🇯🇵.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

I just emerged from private into the leagues yesterday evening (just in time for my 400 days streak tomorrow, because I'm a vain creature who likes to bask in congrats from my followers). Usually that gets me in a normal human league where I can be in top 3 with 500-1000 XP per day. This time I'm somehow stuck with insane overachievers, #1 already has more than 18 thousand XP. I looked him up on Duome, he's half way his tree and instead of learning new stuff, he's wasting his time doing the timed challenges. #2 has 14,000 XP (this is a league that opened yesterday!), she has even less of her tree done, and she's also wasting her time doing timed challenges. I'm too busy to even try for #3 and I'm going back to private after the leagues close. These people are crazy.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Stasia wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:15 pm

... somehow stuck with insane overachievers, #1 already has more than 18 thousand XP. I looked him up on Duome, he's half way his tree and instead of learning new stuff, he's wasting his time doing the timed challenges. #2 has 14,000 XP (this is a league that opened yesterday!), she has even less of her tree done, and she's also wasting her time doing timed challenges....

Hi Stasia,

Do you really think you should be judging how other people spend their time, and whether they're wasting it or not?

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

John238922 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:28 am

Hi Stasia,

Do you really think you should be judging how other people spend their time, and whether they're wasting it or not?

Sorry, bad wording. I guess a better way of saying it would be: "I simply don't understand people who just amass points for the sake of amassing points, rather than spend the same time doing something productive, such as learning something new." ;)

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Stasia wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:17 pm

"I simply don't understand people who just amass points for the sake of amassing points, rather than spend the same time doing something productive, such as learning something new." ;)

Are you really saying you don't understand the concepts of obsessive personality traits and misplaced sense of competition (to which Duolingo is marketing)?

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

this week I joined literally after the time went out (on Sunday evening) and it's not that bad either
once again 600 XP is enough to avoid relegation

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Meli578588 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:50 pm

How do you get into such a small league ?

Mine were always 20,000- 10,000
Insane !

'Small leagues' are on the non-farming pay-roll. ;-)

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

this week was a bit more challenging
![image](https://user-images.githubusercontent.c ... d27540.png) ![image](https://user-images.githubusercontent.c ... 1a2a72.png)
but still quite easy to avoid rel

SweNedGuy
Belgium

The Matthew effect

Post by SweNedGuy »

This was too illustrative not to mention it:

The Matthew effect (wikipedia link) illustrates growing divergence between those leading (in wealth, experience, prestige ...) and those lagging behind. Notes with the picture:

• Mateusz is Matthew in Polish.

• Oh yes, this is a meak league I'm currently in

Last edited by SweNedGuy on Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

John238922 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:10 am

Inflation really setting in now.

2200 sitting at 12th in a Monday morning Obsidian League.

It'll require more than 1500 to avoid relegation.

So averaging about 2100 per week and sitting between 10 and 18th in Obsidian.

Overall inflation seems to have backed off a little since cracked skills came down from 45 to 25. Wish governments could do it as easily with real money inflation.

Accidentally clicked myself into a new league at 0005am last Monday, expected it to be crazy competitive, but not so, 10th place averaging about 500 per day.

I'm sitting about 15th

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]SweNedGuy[/mention]

This link goes to a blank information page.
wikipedia link

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:15 am

@SweNedGuy

This link goes to a blank informaition page.
Wikipedia link

Sorry for this. I've repaired it.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

very easy league this week: I was 8th with just 507 XP
![image](https://user-images.githubusercontent.c ... 5bb1d4.png)

DuoMette
Denmark

Post by DuoMette »

The most I have done was around 21.000 xp over a total of a week. But that week I was playing from early morning til late evening. And I only did it once, because I wanted the legendary achievement.

Once, a few weeks ago, I was in a league, where another one got over 5.000 xp in 35 minutes. Of course he was cheating, because if you time the different lessons, and only do the fastest ones, this can not be done in that amount of time. He ended the week with more than 54.000 xp.

I have heard, but I do not know if it is true, that the people, who cheat, play it on the computer, open several Windows, and by that, they can do multiple lessons at once.

I do see questionable amounts of xp gained in no time almost every week.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

The Diamond League Hall of Fame

Post by SweNedGuy »

The Diamond League Hall of Fame on DuoMe lists all Duolingo members with a public profile and in the Diamond league by their streak of weeks in Diamond. League participants with an equal streak of weeks in Diamond are listed in decreasing order by their number of top-3 finishes (total over their whole DL 'career').

The disparity in number of top-3 finishes is striking; hereby the top and bottom 5 of DL members with a 70 weeks streak:

Order Name Seniority Top-3 finishes
1 Antonio55618  70 weeks  82 Top 3
2 BrigitteDo18  70 weeks  73 Top 3
3 Wilhelmmetzger  70 weeks  73 Top 3
4 Gercilio_Martins  70 weeks  72 Top 3
5 JoHI9l  70 weeks  70 Top 3
202 JohnWold1  70 weeks  1 Top 3
203 pestie  70 weeks  1 Top 3
204 Morgan167479  70 weeks  0 Top 3
205 michaelhannah  70 weeks  0 Top 3
206 paieon  70 weeks  0 Top 3

To get to and remain in Diamond for 70 consecutive weeks without even once ending in the top-3 is a real accomplishment in non-competitive attitude. Congrats guys. (Note: mid August week data)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

this week I'm finally in a more competitive league... the first person in the relegation zone already has over 1000XP and there's still a day to go

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

LICA98 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:10 am

this week I'm finally in a more competitive league... the first person in the relegation zone already has over 1000XP and there's still a day to go

Usually I make less than 1000XP per week (I use the website). Getting into a meek league is survival instinct in my case.

With only one full day to go, I 'm still N°3. This must be the meekest league in ages.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

I got demoted today after 22 weeks in diamond 😭 was watching the WC final and forgot about the league 😬

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

LICA98 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:17 pm

I got demoted today after 22 weeks in diamond 😭 was watching the WC final and forgot about the league 😬

Oh no!...😭

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

The much watched (or must watch) WC quarter-final England-France coincided with the final hours of the league. I have been overtaken by three league players (and landed 14). Watch the match, get a life!

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Interesting stuff about leagues that I didn't know in this thread.

Does it still work to go private on Monday and change to public on Tuesday to place you in a league that's less competitive? Never thought to try that. I've always been in very competitive leagues. Was able to finish at the top on the lowest level leagues, not so much in the higher leagues.

I stopped doing Duolingo completely from 2020 to 2022. When I stopped I was in the Diamond League. When I came back I was in the Emerald League in spite of not having done a single lesson for 2 years. That really surprised me. I figured I would have been demoted all the way back down to the bottom but for some reason I wasn't.

Since I restarted I've been doing Duolingo every day since December, and I seem to have jumped from Emerald to Obsidian after the first week of doing lessons, skipping Amethyst and and Pearl altogether. Not sure how that happened, but I did finish in the #1 spot in Emerald. I spent one week in Obsidian, was not #1 (very active users ahead of me, I didn't try to keep up and I don't actually remember if I was in the top 3), and was promoted back up to Diamond, where I have not even tried to be in the top 3 till this week, when I realized I could do it if I did more lessons than usual. (And I had time to use it as I'm stuck at home with an ankle fracture.)

Now I'm week 4 in Diamond. I may end up in 3rd place this time, though I've never even gotten close before.
There's 30 people in my league, #1 person has over 10,000 XP, #30 person has 344.

I'm not sure what I think about the Tournament, that didn't exist when I stopped in 2020 and not sure I am competitive enough (or care enough) to compete.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]JudieLC[/mention] I hope your ankle heals well! :)

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:55 am

@JudieLC I hope your ankle heals well! :)

Thanks. So far seems to be healing as expected. In 3 more weeks I can hopefully lose the boot. :D

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

JudieLC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:38 am

Does it still work to go private on Monday and change to public on Tuesday to place you in a league that's less competitive?

It does. The later you join in the week (deadline is apparently 24 hours before closure) the less competitive it gets, yet it is never such that you can reach the top three easily: statistically there is always at least one xp-miner in the league who wins and at least two very ambitious learners who would like to win but land on spots 2-3. Still it is quite easy to stay away from the demotion zone.
I have started recently to join "weekend legs" i.e. go "public" on Friday afternoon or Saturday. You meet completely different people there, more casual, most do next to nothing Monday-Thursday, the selection of languages that people learn is more colorful than in "Monday" leagues.

Last edited by PtolemysXX on Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Interesting [mention]PtolemysXX[/mention] .

Maybe I’ll experiment. ;)

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

JudieLC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:38 am

Does it still work to go private on Monday and change to public on Tuesday to place you in a league that's less competitive? Never thought to try that.

Yes, as [mention]PtolemysXX[/mention] noted. The worst leagues are the ones that start right after the leagues close. Even below diamond league, these are the leagues for insane overachievers. Even if you start Monday morning or Monday afternoon (so without going private), these leagues will be more relaxed than Sunday evening ones. And, there is some algorithm at work that takes under account your own activity the past week, so if you did bare minimum one week, you will end up with (mostly) bare minimum bunch of individuals next week... with one or two insane overachievers mixed in. :lol:

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Interesting, [mention]Stasia[/mention]. I had no idea of any of that.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Well, Ive just done a story for 5 points just after the start as part of my quest to get back to bronze. I still have 235 xp to get this week to complete the January challenge. But I am now number 30

John661162

Return to “How to ...”