Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to progress in leagues

Tips and tricks ...

CrystalXYZ
Mexico

How to progress in leagues

Post by CrystalXYZ »

I'm trying to understand the leagues. I'm in the diamond league for the second week. But when it started this week, I had to start over with 0 XPs. So I did a few lessons and earned 40 points. But other people are there with 5240 points. Do some people have their points carry over (I can't see how someone would get 5240 points in a few hours) Am I missing something? I've been here 2 times, and am struggling not to get demoted. Hmmm

Explorer
Portugal

Re: How to progress in leagues

Post by Explorer »

Hello and welcome to the community [mention]CrystalXYZ[/mention]!

Every week a new league starts over from zero. The diamond league is the most challenging one, so it's not unusual to see people who get several thousand points in a few hours.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

[mention]CrystalXYZ[/mention], you can see how they are making thousands of points by looking at their Duome profiles.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

CrystalXYZ
Mexico

Post by CrystalXYZ »

But I'm still not sure how they go from 0 to 5000 in an hour!

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

Your diamond league is very different from mine. The top person in my diamond league only has 683, and it's been a while since the league started

I'm as dry as a mouse.

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

CrystalXYZ wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:15 pm

I'm trying to understand the leagues. I'm in the diamond league for the second week. But when it started this week, I had to start over with 0 XPs. So I did a few lessons and earned 40 points. But other people are there with 5240 points. Do some people have their points carry over (I can't see how someone would get 5240 points in a few hours) Am I missing something? I've been here 2 times, and am struggling not to get demoted. Hmmm

I would not take the leagues too seriously. There are substantial differences in XP between the web version and the app, and between different exercise types. These differences do not necessarily reflect the value of an exercise for your learning progress. XP miners do lots of stories. The legendary levels also give a lot of experience in comparatively short time (I know because I did all of them in Russian). Now I am learning Turkish with the keyboard (instead of the word bank). This costs me a lot of time and I make a lot of mistakes, so I frequently earn 12 XP per day or so. I was just promoted from Amethyst back to Pearl again, if I remember correctly.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

A tip for leagues. Get in later in the day, they usually give you people that aren't so competitive.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

CrystalXYZ
Mexico

Post by CrystalXYZ »

I still fail to understand how these levels work. There is someone in the diamond league with 28,064 XPs. 5 days in - that's 5,613 points a day! Is this even possible?

Maybe I'm not getting something because I'm fairly new. But getting 10-20 points for a lesson, and about 40 points to a story... my tally is creeping up slowly. But to get these totals, it would mean between 208-516 lessons or 140 stories a day!

Are there ways to get more points that I'm just not understanding?

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

[mention]CrystalXYZ[/mention], did you look up their Duome to see how they are making these points? Their Duome profile is the same as their Duolingo profile, but of course on duome.eu instead of duolingo.com.

Doing a lot of legendaries is an easy way to make points fast. Also please note that Android version of the app offers 2x XP boosts, so doing easy lessons during these boosts helps to rack up these points... you can see all of your competitors' strategies on their Duome profiles.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

DmGabin

Post by DmGabin »

When you use the mobile app, you can get up to 25 points for a new lesson, when you make no mistake. Once you bring a skill to the legendary status, when each step earns up to 45 points, you can keep on getting up to 45 for hard practice once per day (a second round of it earns only 20 or 25 points). What you need to have a load of XPs, is just to bring some of basic skills to legendary levels and keep on practicing, i. e. you earn more for mere repetition than for learning, and I find it a bit ridiculous. Yes, you can earn 45 XPs virtually in a minute doing a basic skill (and a couple of thousand XPs per day is not something unrealistic), but it won’t bring you closer to language proficiency. You can also take part in XP challenges, but, again, earning more XPs this way does not mean learning more.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Events are 250 XP. They take between half an hour to an hour and a half. Some people register to the event just for the XP but never show up.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

eI000yo

Post by eI000yo »

You have a good explanation of Duolingo leagues at https://duoplanet.com/duolingo-leagues- ... d-to-know/

There are many versions of Duolingo, depending on the operating system, even the different releases, but also Duolingo customizes each account with thousands of experiments or A/B tests. There are no common rules.
You can make your account private and enter a new league on Tuesday or Wednesday, for example.

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:18 pm

A tip for leagues. Get in later in the day, they usually give you people that aren't so competitive.

Or even later in the week possibly with the help of streak freezes or making your profile private until you want to join the league
but don't leave it too late I think too close to the end of the week and you don't get put in a league but that's only a feeling from somebody's comment at some point

While some of the diamond leagues that I entered with this strategy were more competitive than others there weren't that competitive

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

All 'tricks' to earn more XP set you up for a different trajectory on DL: not a suitable path for optimizing the learning of your target language.
Rather than playing those tricks, I would advocate to go along with what several users ([mention]Corinnebelle[/mention], [mention]back4morelater[/mention]) have mentioned here. Personally I set my profile to 'private' while doing my Monday DL lessons. That allows joining the league on Tuesday evening in which case you usually end up in a meek league. There might be some competition to make it to the top, but staying in diamond shouldn't be any challenge. This way you can focus on learning and you don't need to read stories for the n-th time, do legendary challenges to rack up XP or anything like that.
With holidays in view, it is better to completely avoid the leagues for a couple of weeks.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

ragenegg
United States of America

Post by ragenegg »

My daily goal is between 3000 and 5000. The most I ever earned in one day was 15000 and I spent most of the day on duolingo. The lightening rounds help me to earn 40 xps per minute. Just the other day one of the guys I follow earned 24000 xps and I have no idea how he could get that high in one day.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

ragenegg wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:56 am

My daily goal is between 3000 and 5000. The most I ever earned in one day was 15000 and I spent most of the day on duolingo. The lightening rounds help me to earn 40 xps per minute. Just the other day one of the guys I follow earned 24000 xps and I have no idea how he could get that high in one day.

As chance would have it, I wrote about this earlier today. Quoting myself:

“…just when I complete a circle - or level - in a skill, it gives me 15 minutes of two times XP, and I use those 15 minutes to do a ‘lightning round’ which gives me 80 XP every time I complete a lesson.”

That could be how. Give it a shot!

🇺🇦

ragenegg
United States of America

Post by ragenegg »

Screenshot_20220621-230522_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220621-230522_Chrome.jpg (247.27 KiB) Viewed 14014 times

I'll try it out. I have noticed in the Ukrainian lesson that when I earn bonus xps they do not get added to my total xps. I just finished the course tonight so when I start a new course I will definitely try to earn double xps during the lightening round. I looked at the raw data of the guy who earned the 24000 xps and it shows him earning 45xps in seconds not minutes.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

ragenegg wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:15 am

Screenshot_20220621-230522_Chrome.jpgI'll try it out. I have noticed in the Ukrainian lesson that when I earn bonus xps they do not get added to my total xps. I just finished the course tonight so when I start a new course I will definitely try to earn double xps during the lightening round. I looked at the raw data of the guy who earned the 24000 xps and it shows him earning 45xps in seconds not minutes.

Thanks for that! Must be a bot, a computer program.

🇺🇦

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I think you can report them for cheating.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

That sort of behaviour used to be possible for Plus users with the ability to cache stuff and do lessons offline - you'd then seen a very rapid gain in XP when those offline lessons synced with the server

I know that facility was removed for new Plus users at some point because it was buggy but that was some time ago and not sure if it applied to more established users too

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

I had to turn off leagues I got tired of keeping up so here I am just practicing

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

DuoMe actually has a leagues hall of fame (HOF), sorted by the number of weeks in Diamond.

https://duome.eu/leagues

The HOF is sorted by number of weeks in Diamond, then by the number of first 3 finishes.

There are a number of observations to be made: the top Diamond league holders are true XP farmers with lots of first 3 finishes. If you go down the list: https://duome.eu/leagues/2000, you will notice a lot of diamond league holders with only few first 3 finishes. Also remember that the number of first 3 finishes is throughout all leagues, not just Diamond. This is why you will observe a few league aficionados with more first 3 finishes than their already impressive number of weeks in Diamond.

Note that the HOF consists of current league participants: hence before doing your first lesson (on Monday or whenever later) you won't appear in this HOF. While you go private, you won't appear in this HOF either.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

duome

Post by duome »

SweNedGuy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:47 pm

Note that the HOF consists of current league participants: hence before doing your first lesson (on Monday or whenever later) you won't appear in this HOF. While you go private, you won't appear in this HOF either.

The behaviour of the endpoint used to get the data has changed at least twice since when duome started unsing it: now the league "streak" isn't zeroed on mondays, but I noticed that it goes backwards by 1 week on sundays right after the deadline, i.e. if I am on my 12th week and I'm not being demoted from the league, for some reason my week count would become 11 on sunday afternoon, then back to 12 on monday before I do my first lesson, and 13 when I finally do my first lesson. This is making it somewhat tricky to define (and redefine) the rules on what should be ignored and when...

As it stands at the moment, you will no longer disappear from the league hof on mondays, but your league streak may be off by one or two weeks until it gets updated properly.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

when I need to progress fast I just do the legendary 40XP lessons for the basics of a language I already know :roll:
also imo it doesn't really make sense to wait till Tuesday to get into a league, like I join on Monday and in diamond it's enough to get 500-600 XP to not get relegated and in obsidian about 700-800 is enough for promotion
(ofc if that is still too high for ya then you can wait)

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

LICA98 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:56 pm

in obsidian about 700-800 is enough for promotion

The few times I've gotten promoted in the obsidian league, it took me 2000-3000. I prob get put into more competitive leagues tho

I'm as dry as a mouse.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

in obsidian about 700-800 is enough for promotion

By the end of my first year in DuoLingo, I ran some 'league experiments':

• How deep can you get demoted without ever breaking your streak and doing two lessons daily?
  • Trying to demote from diamond and obsidian and promote again with roughly the same number of XP?

Notes: I had set and kept my coach to 20 XP for the first experiment, though my true daily total was close or equal to 30 XP.
The league rules were different at that time: only 3 participants demoted from diamond. At about that time, the number of league participants was reduced from 50 to 30. That greatly facilitated both promoting and demoting. The number of demotions from diamond changed to 5 shortly afterwards.

In experiment 1, I managed to get demoted down to the amethyst league, with weekly totals ranging at or slightly above 200 XP. After four days in amethyst, I was still at spot 12-15 with my XP total standing at 120. The demotion experiment to 'emerald' was about to fail. I cranked up my learning pace to 'normal' (about 6 lessons a day) and got promoted again to pearl. There used to be a league promotion popup telling you: 'congrats you ended at position 9 in your league and now get promoted to Pearl'.

Experiment 2 consisted of doing 6 lessons daily for several weeks in a row; then trying to get demoted to obsidian and get promoted again to diamond all of that by merely tuning the entry time into the leagues. With 620 XP for the week, I managed to 'secure' my position 28 which at that time was the demotion threshold. The lowest maintaining in diamond (place 27 back then) was at 632.
The next week, I started quite late on Monday. My 627 XP carried me into the top-10 and I got back into diamond. What's even more peculiar is that in the last week of the experiment, I managed to land on place 3 in diamond with barely 640 XP. (I slightly exceeded my target by reading a couple of stories.) That must have been the meekest league I was ever into.

Last edited by SweNedGuy on Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

With the introduction of Night Owl and Early Bird double XP, XP inflation has kicked in in earnest.

I'm running 700 to 800 per week to hold between 15 and 10 in Obsidian.

That's with a Monday morning start.

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Inflation really setting in now.

2200 sitting at 12th in a Monday morning Obsidian League.

It'll require more than 1500 to avoid relegation.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

when I need to progress fast I just do the legendary 40XP lessons for the basics of a language I already know :roll:
also imo it doesn't really make sense to wait till Tuesday to get into a league, like I join on Monday and in diamond it's enough to get 500-600 XP to not get relegated and in obsidian about 700-800 is enough for promotion
(ofc if that is still too high for ya then you can wait)

well here's how my league looks at the end of the week
idk maybe I'm just always getting the easy leagues but this is the standard for me, I usually do like 1-2 lessons each day to keep the streak (I'm usually dead last during the week) and then lots of XP farming on Sunday if I'm in the relegation zone :lol:

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “How to ...”