Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Location question

Moderator: PtolemysXX

dstepl
United States of America

Location question

Post by dstepl »

我公司附近有一个公园
"My company's vicinity has a park"
There is a park near my company

Why does company come first in the Chinese?

luo-ning

Re: Location question

Post by luo-ning »

I don't really understand the question — the Chinese is different from the English because Chinese is a different language from English. Don't expect word order to always match up, because it won't. It's true Chinese is a subject-verb-object language, like English, but beyond that the word order is very often different.

In this particular case, if you wanted a word order closer to the English, you could use 有一个公园我公司附近。

See How to use 在、有 and 是 to express location. It's probably best to ignore the bit about 是 for now, as it's a fairly uncommon construction and the article doesn't explain that bit very well IMO.

🦀 Pensando en la inmortalidad del cangrejo 🏴‍☠️ Flags Are Not Languages

HeavenBender
United States of America

Post by HeavenBender »

Both of your translations are very much accurate, but if you think about it, the sentence structure in Chinese is almost exactly the same as it is in English.

公司附近一个公园
Mycompany'svicinityhasapark

I hope that helps!

🇺🇸 N 🇨🇳 N2 🇪🇸 B2 🇧🇷 B1

ararat-tempest
St Helena

Post by ararat-tempest »

表示从属关系的“有” (there be) 和表示在某处有某物的“有” (someone has),本质上有些区别。但是部分语言中对于这个的区分很模糊,甚至不存在。
think about "var" in Turkish.

but, "My company's vicinity has a park." ? this is apparently not 中国語らしい中国語, more than like a transliteration from a person who can't tell the difference between "there be" and "someone has".

native: 🇨🇳 a teacher of: 🇺🇸🇯🇵 primary: 🇳🇴🇩🇰🇸🇪🇫🇮🇮🇩🇳🇱🇭🇹🇪🇸🇧🇷🇮🇹🇻🇳🇫🇷Image secondary: 🇰🇷🇹🇷🇨🇿ImageImage planned: ImageImage🇪🇪🇮🇸🇫🇴🇱🇨🇨🇼🇿🇦🇹🇱🇱🇺🇰🇮🇲🇾🇸🇰🇲🇪🇧🇦🇷🇸🇭🇷🇬🇱

Return to “Grammar”