Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Almak

MarjanZahedi

Almak

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Could you please tell me if I’m correct or not.
If almak means to buy in a sentence then you use sana for example bunu sana alıyor
If almak means to get or to take then you use seni for example havalimanından seni alıyorum

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

MustafaOuz526752

Re: Almak

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

When to use sana and seni is not relevant to the meaning of the verb, but to how they function in a sentence. If "you" is who you act upon, it is "seni". If "you" is the recipient of action, it is "sana". In your first sentence—He is buying this for you.—"you" is the recipient, and "this" is what the action of buying is upon. In your second sentence—I am taking you from the airport—"you" is who the action of taking is upon. You could say "seni alıyorum" to mean "I am buying you"—which would be unusual now that slavery has been abolished, but I mean, you could theoretically say that :D.

@.bdllh
Netherlands

Post by @.bdllh »

Seni alıyorum, seni aldım, Ahmet'i aldım. These can be used as "Choose", like while you are going to play a match between friends and each captain of the teams are sellecting one by one; Ali'yi aldım, Veli'yi aldım. Herkesi aldı beni almadı takıma. So in these examples there is nothing about selling or buying of human beings.

The suffixes -i and -e, (ismin -i hali and ismin -e hali)
1-Ahmet'i alıyorum
2-Ahmet'e alıyorum

3-Arabayı alıyorum
4-Arabaya alıyorum

Above 4 sentences can be used as buying, getting or taking etc. Depends on the situation.
1- I am getting Ahmet (from school), I am choosing Ahmet for my team.
2- I am buying this for Ahmet (if buying), but I am taking this for/to Ahmet (Like taking an extra coat when leaving the house)
3- I am buying the car, I am taking the car (from somewhere or someone)
4- I am buying something for the car, or getting someone or something for the car.

Last edited by @.bdllh on Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Post by Danika_Dakika »

2- I am buying this to Ahmet (if buying)

In English, this would have to be "I am buying this for Ahmet." You cannot buy something "to" someone -- but you can buy it "for" him and then give it "to" him!

Duolingo Mod, TR Image <> EN Image

@.bdllh
Netherlands

Post by @.bdllh »

Thanks for the reminding, I have edited

Return to “Turkish”